WhiteCrow Guest

Default Doctor Who's Bitter Pill Award 2008

Doctor Who - I love it, you love it, but not everyone loves it.

Who are the most bitter people associated with Doctor Who? Ex actors who feel their careers were ruined? Writers whose ideas we rejected? Fans who just don't like where things are going?

Eric Saward always seems to come across as, maybe not bitter but certainly very defensive.

And I'm still very bitter that I never got cast as the tenth Doctor - I'm the same age, and I'd have done it for a fraction of the price!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Doctor Who - I love it, you love it, but not everyone loves it.

Who are the most bitter people associated with Doctor Who? Ex actors who feel their careers were ruined? Writers whose ideas we rejected? Fans who just don't like where things are going?
    Lawrence Miles has got to rank quite highly, if only for the fact that he falls into two of those categories at the same time.

Having said that I read his latest blog entry (which bizarrely seems to replace loads of other deleted ones) and he certainly has a few salient point, albeit stretched out to 8000 words for no particular reason.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Lawrence Miles has got to rank quite highly, if only for the fact that he falls into two of those categories at the same time.

Having said that I read his latest blog entry (which bizarrely seems to replace loads of other deleted ones) and he certainly has a few salient point, albeit stretched out to 8000 words for no particular reason.
    Oh yes I remember reading that blog once, and it all kind of got lost in his endless rambling.

I weep for his readers.

Isn't Raymond Cusick still a bit touchy on not receiving his dues for the Dalek design?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

There's an unnamed record producer who thinks he should be worshipped as a god. And that he doesn't get the credit for writing one of the worst stories ever. And that he was left with a bill from his last curry night. And that Gary Russell exists.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

If there was a Meldrew Triumvirate of Who, it'd consist of the three people mentioned above. Imagine a convention panel with the three of them! Hosted by Carol Ann Ford.

Though not entirely bitter, Ms. Janet Fielding has little good to say about her time on Doctor Who.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Though not entirely bitter, Ms. Janet Fielding has little good to say about her time on Doctor Who.
    Yes "the mouth on legs". Ironically her character travelled the Universe moaning about things. Was Tegans moaning actually based on the actress?

I would have loved Earthshock to have pulled a double whammy.

Christopher Eccleston.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    If there was a Meldrew Triumvirate of Who, it'd consist of the three people mentioned above.
    I think Raymond Cusick is still in the nursery compared to the other two.

Janet Fielding certainly had plenty to say back in the 90s and little of it was nice. But she's mellowed over the last few years and although her comments on DVD commentaries aren't always complimentary, they are said in a sense of fun and she's no more negative than Peter Davison or any of the others. In fact, she seems far more critical of hair, clothes and shoes than she does of perceived sexism, racism or any of the other isms she used to bang on about.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I've found her comments on the commentaries to be quite fair in their negativity, if you know what I mean. She made a big deal on one about having to go rock climbing in a short skirt and high heels while Sarah Sutton got to put on some trousers, all because JN-T had a thing for recognisable costumes for each character, and having to stay in an air hostess uniform even on occasions when she clearly wasn't expecting to do any air hostessing, which seems like a fair comment.

Pip Madeley Guest

Clive Swift.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Clive Swift.
    Why? Don't just name names, dish dirt.

Pip Madeley Guest

Curiously, I was watching the 'Revelation' DVD documentary recently, and he speaks very warmly and fondly about his time on that story, and comes across as a fairly decent chap - I wonder what happened in the intervening years...?

Can I nominate Mike from Stoke who gave us this gem on teletext TV talking point?

"Thank god Russell T Davies and David Tennant are leaving Dr Who. Hopefully their successors will avoid the omnipresent sentimentality and sexual undertones that have pervaded the show since its return. The Doctor was always perceived as an asexual character, sex and romance should never have been brought into it. Mike, Stoke"

And worse Mike, you've probably used his asexualness as a role model all your life...and for what?

Nyahhhahhahahahahahahahahaha!

And here's another fan who doesn't like where it's going!
    Spot the bullshit!

"I'm a purist, and this digital, high- tech rendering bears little in common, or spirit, to the original B&W series. Very over-rated. Robert, Blackpool "

Thanks to Teletext's TV Talking Point (as opposed to TV Views) for this "gem".

Just think, he might have given blood...

So is teletext the bitterest of them all?

Perhaps because hardly anyone looks at it any more...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

That's nothing! I think i've said worse than that.

If you want bitter, i'd nomimate most people on the Leisure Hive Forum.
    But beware before you google it - You will feel the need for a course of strong anti-depressants after reading most of the posts.
    The upside is that there'll be plenty of anti-depressants to go around, because they're certainly not taking any. The whole of the nations pharmaceutical companies put together couldn't make enough to cheer that lot up.

Watching Who is a natural high.

Er... for some people.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    That's nothing! I think i've said worse than that.

If you want bitter, i'd nomimate most people on the Leisure Hive Forum.
    But beware before you google it - You will feel the need for a course of strong anti-depressants after reading most of the posts.
    The upside is that there'll be plenty of anti-depressants to go around, because they're certainly not taking any. The whole of the nations pharmaceutical companies put together couldn't make enough to cheer that lot up.
    I thought they were generally too busy trying and not getting to have sex with each other in there.

I'd generally nominate the residents of Outpost Gallifrey not so much as bitter as a bunch of f******ds.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I thought they were generally too busy trying and not getting to have sex with each other in there.
    No, not that Leisure Hive, Mike. THIS one.