Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The New Titles and Theme!

Season 4 gave a new look and sound to the opening to the show, with the Troughton face titles appearing for the first time at the start of The Macra Terror along side a new arrangement of the theme, with extra weird echo and the introduction of the wonderous spangles.

What do think about these innovations?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Do you know, I honestly can never spot the difference between the Hartnell arrangement of the theme and the Troughton one? I know it's changed and if I pay really close attention I can notice some differences, but I'd have been blissfully oblivious to the fact that was actually different unless someone had pointed it out to me.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well they do chop and change from story to story and often episode to episode. I'll play them to you later and then you'll learn... you'll learn...

The Troughton one has added sparkles (at least, it does, starting in The Faceless Ones. The theme's the same in The Macra Terror)

Frankly, it doesn't properly feel like the Troughton era to me until we get the new title sequence. The Troughton one is probably favourite one

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It was much better when everyone thought the Troughton titles with the face included started on The Faceless Ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It was much better when everyone thought the Troughton titles with the face included started on The Faceless Ones.
    I must admit I've always thought this was the case. Oh well, I've learnt something new today.

I actually prefer the original version of the theme music. I do like the spangles but the weird echo actually makes the bass notes and the melody a little less solid sounding and while the echo may add some depth I think the whole thing sounds a little weak in comparrison to the original version.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Of course by the Pertwee years they improved the overal sound of the theme and the spangles, but that's for another thread!

When I played the two themes back to back to Steve he really couldn't tell the difference. I was apalled! APALLED!

I really like the echoey, spangly Troughton theme, though I know what Andrew means about it sounding a little weak perhaps. Certainly the next arrangement for Pertwee sounds a bit beefier in comparison, but perhaps not as spooky.

THERE'S ANOTHER ARRANGEMENT FOR PERTWEE?!?!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

YES!

I'm sure Andrew C is shaking his head in despair - it's like the starfield debacle all over again!!

I like the 'spangles' and can remember really liking these titles when I first saw them in 1981. I especially like the way Troughton's face, and then the logo, sort of 'burn away' like paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    THERE'S ANOTHER ARRANGEMENT FOR PERTWEE?!?!
    The most obvious change is the tune at the very beginning of the theme - for Troughton (also Hartnell) it repeats four times before the main melody kicks in. It only repeats twice before the melody in the Pertwee/Baker arrangement.

And then the Pertwee/ Baker theme has the lovely repeat to fade at the end bit in the opening titles too.

When I played the two themes back to back to Steve he really couldn't tell the difference. I was apalled! APALLED!
    And yet he can tell the difference between Stork and butter...

What can I say?
    I've just finished hyper-ventilating at the shock that Steve cannot hear the difference between the 'Hartnell' theme and the 'Troughton' one!!!
    I shall be having words with the lad, next time I see him!!!

And yes the 70's versions are slightly different too.
    Although I suppose to be fair these are more like different arrangements of the same 'Delia Derbyshire' theme, rather than new versions as such (I'm not talking about that terrible Delaware version here).

In the 1970's versions, as Ssarl says, the bass line introduction that you hear prior to the melody kicking in is cut from 8 to 4 bars (the intro is cut in half effectively). The long introduction was not re-introduced until the new series started. The spangles are still there but sound a little less echoey. The spangles between the first section of the melody (the oo-ee-oo bit) and the next section are much louder and noticable in the 70's versions.
    There's the repeat to fade that Si mentions too.
    I think this is (bar a few exceptions) the first time we really get different recordings for the opening and closing titles - rather than just picking bits out of one long track.
    Of course the first few Pertwee episodes also have that funny stuttering start - which i really love.
    And let's not forget the introduction of the legendary 'scream' from the 'Ambassadors of Death' onwards.

As for the Delaware version - well all I can say is "what were they thinking"?????

Mark Ayres did a piece on the theme arrangements some years ago which I think you can still find on an old website of his.

And as for the starfield's argument Mr Curnow, let's not start that up again (although I appreciate what I presume is a reference to this debate in your unused 'You and Who' submission on the 'You and Who' website)

I really should get out more!!!

And once again one of my nerdy posts has killed off a thread on PS!!!

I found your post about the musical differences really interesting Andrew. I just haven't had the time to follow up on listening to both versions yet so I'd refrained from commenting thus far.
    That said I can also be quite nerdy about music when I allow myself to be

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    That said I can also be quite nerdy about music when I allow myself to be
    Really, I hadn't noticed!

NERDS!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

The spangles are still there but sound a little less echoey.
    Yes and perfectly placed. The splangle that plays just as Tom Baker's face appears in the time tunnel titles is magnificent- sends a shiver up my spine.

I love the spangles.

Yes and perfectly placed. The splangle that plays just as Tom Baker's face appears in the time tunnel titles is magnificent- sends a shiver up my spine.

I love the spangles.
    I quite agree; in fact that is the one bit of that version of the theme that makes me the most nostalgic and takes me right back to those days in the late 70's!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    takes me right back to those days in the late 70's!
    Surely seeing Romana's face on the titles after The Doctor's face must make you even MORE nostalgic for those days? You remember - the days when we were at St John Fisher School together?

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Surely seeing Romana's face on the titles after The Doctor's face must make you even MORE nostalgic for those days? You remember - the days when we were at St John Fisher School together?
    Nobody else is going to understand that post at all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    Nobody else is going to understand that post at all!!!!
    You're right on that

----

Quote Originally Posted by Ssarl View Post
    The most obvious change is the tune at the very beginning of the theme - for Troughton (also Hartnell) it repeats four times before the main melody kicks in. It only repeats twice before the melody in the Pertwee/Baker arrangement.
    Apart from on the episodes it doesn't do that

I don't remember the details, but there's a whole heap of variation with the Pertwee "arrangement" as well. I think it takes until season 9 or something before it becomes standardised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Apart from on the episodes it doesn't do that

I don't remember the details, but there's a whole heap of variation with the Pertwee "arrangement" as well. I think it takes until season 9 or something before it becomes standardised.
    You're quite right; I'm sure they even go back to using Troughton version on some of the early Pertwee episodes (particularily for the closing titles)!!!