Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tennant Specials on DVD and Blu-Ray

I was just wondering... does anyone who's "in the know" know if the Tennant specials will be released as a box set eventually, or whether they'll only see the sort of single-releases that The Next Doctor has already had?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It's a good question... but that information simply hasn't been released yet. So no-one will be able to tell you for sure.

I would think the specials will come out individually as per "The Next Doctor" - but will they box them up all up with extra's at the end of 2009? One case for this happening would be the fact that if they don't, no commentary track or extra features for the specials would see the light of day (since "The Next Doctor" has already been released without story extra's, and there will be no season box set this year to shackle it to).

Si.

I suspect a specials set. I would even suspect a complete Tennant one for people who like that sort of thing.

Like 2|Entertain!
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's a good question... but that information simply hasn't been released yet. So no-one will be able to tell you for sure.

I would think the specials will come out individually as per "The Next Doctor" - Si.

well we will probably know in the next month or so as to what 2 entertain plan to do personaly I'd be very suprised if the specials are not released individualy as the whole point of the vanilla releases is to make it financialy easier on the public.

though of course if the final 2 specials are shown over christmas you'd think that they would certainly be released on one DVD.

well we will probably know in the next month or so
    What makes you think that? I'd say we'll know towards the end of the year when such a box set nears release.

as to what 2 entertain plan to do personaly I'd be very suprised if the specials are not released individualy as
    I think Ants question was if there would be a box set of them. We know they're being released individually as "The Next Doctor" is out already. That's the first special that hasn't got a Season box set it can be included in.

the whole point of the vanilla releases is to make it financialy easier on the public.
    Oh you're so sweet Larry! I thought it was to get cash out of us twice for the same story, once when released as vanilla (because we can't wait to see it on DVD) and once again to get a few sparten extras with it.

though of course if the final 2 specials are shown over christmas you'd think that they would certainly be released on one DVD.
    That would certainly make buying them financially easier on the public. We'll see shall we?

Si.

What makes you think that? I'd say we'll know towards the end of the year when such a box set nears release.

I think Ants question was if there would be a box set of them. We know they're being released individually as "The Next Doctor" is out already. That's the first special that hasn't got a Season box set it can be included in.

Si.

think I misunderstood the original question I was thinking Ant was wondering about if we were getting both vanilla and box sets hence me thinking a release date for the first vanilla special would be known soon.

Though just thinking about it I hope any box set release is not penciled in as the January box set release for 2010 instead of an old series release.

Old series and New Series release slots are kept distinct, so no it wouldn't be.

Si.

The Next Doctor release doesn't have a 5.1 surround option so I would imagine a boxset will be on the way of the specials

Pip Madeley Guest

I think it's safe to say that the specials will be in a Blu-Ray box set by Spring 2010.

Why?

Because no-one can prove him wrong for another fifteen months, by which time we'll have forgotton he said it anyway.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    Why?
    Because the specials are being made in HD and the BBC will want to exploit that.

Feel free to pelt me with rotten fruit if I'm being a bit, sniff, dim, but is HD the same as Blu-Ray then? I thought Blu-Ray was just 'the next big thing' after DVD - or is it, in effect, DVD for showing HD?

In my day you got a pair of socks and an orange and felt lucky for it.

Si.

A pair of socks? Crikey you were spoilt!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Feel free to pelt me with rotten fruit if I'm being a bit, sniff, dim, but is HD the same as Blu-Ray then? I thought Blu-Ray was just 'the next big thing' after DVD - or is it, in effect, DVD for showing HD?
    It's both.

Blu-Ray is a storage medium, just like DVD and CD. It can be used to record high definition video - single layer discs hold 25GB and dual-layer discs hold 50GB, whereas your regular single-layer DVD disc holds 4.7GB (dual-layer ones like the official Who DVDs hold 9.4GB).

I see (I think). Thanks Pip...

...and BTW who's your latest avatar? Very nice!!

I think it's the assistant of TV's Dr Who from the eras of Eccleston and Tennant.

Is it "Because We Want To" hitmaker Billie Paul Piper?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's the prostitute from ITV2.

Oh! Didn't recognise her!

Pip Madeley Guest

The Next Doctor & Planet Of The Dead

Due 7th December. What's this then?

Freema Agyeman!?

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the specials will be in a Blu-Ray box set by Spring 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    Why?
    Because no-one can prove him wrong for another fifteen months, by which time we'll have forgotton he said it anyway.

Si.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Because the specials are being made in HD and the BBC will want to exploit that.
    The Complete Specials Box Set (Blu-Ray) - Due for release on 11/01/2010

Trust in Pip.