Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Well, I seem to be unconsciously on a run of Doctor Who stories featuring a helicopter, having this week watched Ambassadors Of Death & The Invasion. Ambassadors is my favourite of S7, and it's great to have it all in colour now. It was slightly distracting in places (early on) analysing the colour signal, but I think this will lessen with future viewings.

The Invasion does have a couple of script problems, but it's an enjoyable romp from start to finish. Great direction, of course, and a superb score from Don Harper too. Kevin Stoney is just brilliant, and I noticed more this time how well designed the UNIT HQ is. Add in Sally Faulkner, and what more could you want?

Also watched a few moments of The Eleventh Hour after I found it on a hard drive....and suddenly it was 65 minutes later. Matt Smith gives an utterly sublime performance.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

For a story about xenophobia and the perils of galactic brinksmanship, Frontier in Space has a rather self-defeating ending? The Doctor successfully proves that there isn't an irredemably evil race of aliens (humans or Draconians) out to provoke a space war, and that what's *really* happening is that there's an irredemably evil race of aliens (Daleks) out to provoke a space war.

The Keys of Marinus. No helicopters. Enjoyed this one quite a bit, much more than I remembered doing last time I saw it. Perhaps the (almost) three year gap I've had from watching classic Who has really paid off, in this respect.

Although I was brought back down to Earth with a bump after watching The Sets Of Marinus, probably the most depressing dvd extra ever produced.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Finished watching Moonbase last night. I really liked it. I don't see why this gets such a bad rap, it's a great little story.

Agreed - I always find the scenes on the lunar surface in part 2 (or is it 4, not sure now) where the aerial is smashed up, etc, very spooky. It may be only stock music, but by crikey it's effective.

Moonbase is one of my Top 10 Who stories. I love the whole thing, but especially the incidental music.

Planet of the Daleks. I'd forgotten about the gold Dalek with a torch for an eyestalk!

Is there a Terry Nation "Naming Characters" Drinking Game/Bingo Card? Tarrant, Tarron, Taron....

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Planet of the Daleks. I'd forgotten about the gold Dalek with a torch for an eyestalk!
    See-in-the-dark technology's wonderful, isn't it?

With the end of Silver Nemesis last night (WTF?!), the Horror Channel's back to showing An Unearthly Child tonight.

I watched part 1 of Silver Nemesis tonight, and had to smile when Mr McCoy put a fez on and picked up a broom....

There are no new ideas

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Time Monster. It's always seemed one of the unfashionable Pertwee's, not coming out on VHS until 2001, but as ever the DVD puts new life back into it. I love it, and not just for Jo's outfit.

Fantastic job by the RT, the Pertwee era really is the jewel in the crown of the range, IMO. Been re-reading a lot of the RT restoration articles of late, and it's nothing short of amazing what they did.

"The Daleks" (Remastered) on the Horror Channel and just up to the cliffhanger where... Sing it with me now!
    "HELP ME!! -A-HELP ME!! I CAN'T HOLD ON!! I CAN'T HOLD OOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!"

"The Daleks" (Remastered) on the Horror Channel
    Don't forget Ian's Haiku:
    My legs.
    My legs!
    I can't move my legs.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Carrying on a bit of a Pertwee binge....Colony In Space and The Daemons. Enjoyed both more than before, due to improved PQ. Episode 4 of Daemons looks superb. I'd never consciously noticed the intricacies of Delgado's ceremonial cape before. A real classic. Colony In Space still makes a better Target book, though.

Some more classic Who....some South African robots in The Krotons, and the Saxe-Coburg family in Terror of the Zygons. I'd forgotten how dull Krotons is, a very poor script, but Zygons is very close to faultless. The ep.1 cliffhanger must be one of the best ever, IMO.

I also fancied a bit of the Ninth Doctor, and plumped for Boom Town and Father's Day. Joe Ahearne's work on the show was 'fantastic' indeed, and I sympathise with Eccleston's reluctance to come back, as it were, without him. FD was an instant classic, I thought, but BT really gets better with each viewing.

I've been working through my store of Horror Channel 'oldie but goodie' stories. Over the past few weeks I've done Tara, Stones, Kinda (for the first time in years), Silver Nemesis, Time Warrior and most recently Frontios (again, it's far too long since I watched it). I'm currently on The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, which has a kind of Christmassy vibe to it.

(And The Sontaran Experiment, The Silurians and Ribos still to come!!)

I'm currently half way through...
    NNNNNNNNNN
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    OOOOOOOOOO
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ
    NNNNNNNNNN
    XXXXXXXXXXX

I think it's very impressive you can type at all while doing that Tim.

Yesterday we watched Robto to celebrate its 40th anniversary. It's a whole lot of fun!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Still watching / listening to my two 7-part over this "holiday" period (I'm typing this in work!) - Inferno & Evil of the Daleks. Both stories holding up well and certainly not flagging!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I think it's very impressive you can type at all while doing that Tim.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Planet of Giants. Not seen the ep 3 & 4 recon until now, I was very impressed. Very watchable, and it's nice to have the story at last make some sense.

I love the sound of the Primords in Inferno. Very scary! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm about to start watching season 6 again - I didn't take to it very much at all back in 2011 (you may recall me moaning on & on about it at the time...) but have often wondered whether I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing. Zel got me the BluRay for my birthday last year, but other than A Christmas Carol I've not yet watched it, so I think it's high time I did!

Just scratching my head to recall, and I'm 95% certain that the only episode of that year that I've watched more than just the once is the final episode of the series, which I didn't think was too bad so watched twice.

Fingers crossed...

Speaking as someone who never took to the eleventh Doctor's era as a whole - good luck!