Pip Madeley Guest

Default BF 099: Son Of The Dragon

Another BF audio on its way...

Big Finish Productions has released more information about their upcoming September release Son of the Dragon. James Purefoy, known to fans from his roles in Rome and Beau Brummell, will be guest starring as Dracula in this release which sees the legendary vampire take on the Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison), Peri (Nicola Bryant), and Erimem (Caroline Morris).

(I'd love to be the meat in that Nicola sandwich)

(I'd love to be the meat in that Nicola sandwich)
    Back of the queue little boy!

Nice cover though.

Nice cover, but in that top photo poor old Pete looks about 112!!!

Yes that dark lighting does him no favours.

Si.

Ye it does, he's 208.

How come Nicola Bryant hasn't aged a day since Doctor Who?

In fact, she looks even better now.

I think that cover is vile - there are no robots at all!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

The Dracula connection might persuade me to check this one out.
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    How come Nicola Bryant hasn't aged a day since Doctor Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    The Dracula connection...
    You guys might be on to something there.

She can bite me anytime.

I'd like to thank the Mods for cleaning that post up.

Vlad the Postman impaled this vampish number through our letterbox today. We've got it staked to sample its lifeblood some time next week!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have listened to the Son of the Dragon & I thought it rather good. Definitely an 8/10 from me. Erimem's best outing by far...which isn't saying much considering what has come before, but in this she was quite good.

Overall a good script & good pacing & no silly cliffhangers that stuck out as crass. Much more like it Big Finish.

Another story where Erimem almost leaves but then doesn't! It's like they're taunting us!

Si.

According to the new DWM, Erimem is being written out very soon (presumably soon after the cull of C'rizz and Charley). If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.

Interesting. Why are they getting rid of all their companions? Is the end nigh?

"Son of the Dragon" was quite good. We've seen this kind of Peri/Davison/Erimem historical caper many, many times before however. But it was certainly better than many stories, including "The Settling".

Si.

Not all of them are going, we're told, just the rubbish ones, or the ones who've had a really good run like Charley. Looks like Evelyn and Hex are staying, and there is a new companion coming for one of the BF Doctors.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That's good. It's ironic Evelyn is one of the few staying, seeing as how she's already been written out!

I really like Charley, I think India is excellent and I love her stories. So I'll be sorry to see her go. It's a shame they couldn't have just gone back to the Eighth Doctor/Charley team, but without all that arsing about with the web of time.

Remember when McGann said he'd only ever do Big Finish with India? That all changed when BBC7 and their big wallet came knocking didn't it?

Si.

McGann admits that he considered stopping a couple of years back when the stories weren't too good. Nick Briggs is also quite scathing about some of the Gary Russell era stories with their 45 minute episodes and too much internal continuity and angst ridden stories.

Si xx

He's very polite about his scathing though, isn't he. Two or three times I had to smile reading that article because he kept saying things like "The scripts now are getting a really good polish - not that they weren't polished before, but we have time to polish them even more". But what he really means is (for whatever reason) some of the old stuff was pretty naff!

Evelyn is leaving isn't she-we already know how,its just a question of how long

And to be fair they haven't got rid of Frobisher

It was pretty good overall. I know that in general I've been pretty scathing of the way Erimem has been used in the plays, but I thought she came across rather well in this play. Her love affair with Vlad seemed natural and unforced and was good material for Caroline Morris. Shame it was all doomed though and that the play had to end with an upbeat ending, which seemed a little forced after what they'd all just been through (like the end of The Council of Nicea actually in that respect).

James Purefoy and Douglas Hodge was great, even if their voices were a little similar and at times it took a while for me to realise who was who.

A good solid story and the best for this time for a long, long time.

Si xx

Yup, there was certainly nothing wrong with Son of The Dragon. Kind of like the Settling or Council of Nicea, except that it works, it's entertaining, the characters are good and it all feels worthwhile. Can I say 7/10?

A good outing this one,strong performances from Hodge,Purefoy and Caroline Morris.Peri got some rubbish dialogue however,and I don't feel they went far enough with the horror aspect a good story all the same though