View Poll Results: What did you think of Robophobia?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5: I heard a cry... of joy.

0 0%
  • 4: It moves like a hunter.

3 75.00%
  • 3: This CD has no taste!

1 25.00%
  • 2: Please do not throw CDs at me.

0 0%
  • 1: A classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the hype and the level of enjoyment.

0 0%

Default BF 149: Robophobia

Sylvester, murder and Vocs- oh my!

What did you make of this sequeltastic story?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Part One: A great use of the Doctor in the background, whilst the small cast paint a world with their interactions. The pre-titles teaser is genuinely gripping, and Nicola Walker is a standout as Liv. The cliffhanger is a terrifically bonkers moment.

What I'm most enjoying about this is that - so far - it is building on The Robots of Death, rather than just rehashing it. I just hope that continues for the next three episodes...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I enjoyed it quite a lot. Nicola Walker makes a good companion substitute and there's a good couple of twists in the tale.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the robot's voices. They lacked the class and sophistication of the original.

Part 2- I love Sylvester's more relaxed portrayal of the Doctor in these solo stories. He's not showing off, and it makes perfect sense for him to keep his mouth shut as he doesn't have a trusted compatriot to talk to.

The Robots themselves continue to be particularly eerie, but I think I've twigged what the twist is- which, halfway through the story, isn't good!

Part 3- Despite the predictability of the mystery, the story continues to capture the listener's attention- by flipping the alien invasion trope on it's head. By allowing the audience to get ahead of the characters, Briggs makes an asset of the obvious mystery by exploring his characters.

And when one whom you've really coming to like has been killed, that's pretty effective.

The villain's manipulation of the situation is masterful, and means that criticising this story for being predictable becomes akin to criticising the end of Titanic for the same reason.

Part 4- I was right about the twist, but the obvious nature of this is amended by this finale. The Robots of Death was a whodunit; Robophobia is a whydidthey. The motivations of the villain are explored to an extent not usually granted in Doctor Who, which really raises the quality of the story.

It is here you realise that Nick Briggs had two options with Part 4- have written in more characters to die, or explore the villain. The latter is the best option, and raises this from a predictable mystery to a great character driven story. The added jeopardy of the ship's course, far from being an exercise in stake raising, makes sense in the context of the story, as well as the treatment of the Robots as characters.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I enjoyed it quite a lot. Nicola Walker makes a good companion substitute and there's a good couple of twists in the tale.

The only thing that didn't work for me was the robot's voices. They lacked the class and sophistication of the original.
    I agree entirely.

Fun fact- Voc actor John Dorney was once called a 4 letter c-word by D84 actor Greg de Polnay.

Please note- John Dorney is, in fact, lovely.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I'm really looking forward to this one, when I eventually get it - which could be a while, given that I'm going to be starting at The Sirens of Time soon!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Currently listening to Part One. Sylvester and Nicola Walker are superb. Toby Hadoke less so.

Finally got round to buying this one and it was a good as I expected it to be. Sylvester is at his mysterious best and Nicola Walker is excellent as Liv. Toby Hadoke improves as the story go on.