Default Cheeta turns 75!

The Sun have a great piece about Cheeta the Chimp turning 75 (pics of him watching Tarzan DVDs, painting and playing piano ), but it doesn't appear to be the full version online:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006160551,00.html

Nice pic on Sky News

Found a better version:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/film/m...971180199.html

Cheeta the Chimp turns 75
    Los Angeles
    April 12, 2007

CHEETA, the chimpanzee that starred in the Tarzan movies in the 1930s and who is considered the world's oldest chimp, has celebrated his 75th birthday.

Cheeta, whose coat is now peppered with grey hair, marked the occasion with a party featuring sugar-free cake and diet soft drinks in the California desert town of Palm Springs, famous as a retirement community for old movie stars.

He has lived there with his trainer for the past 16 years.

Chimpanzees rarely live past their 40s in the wild but often live into their 60s in captivity.

According to his trainer, Dan Westfall, Cheeta's only health problem is that he has been diabetic for about seven years.

Cheeta was brought from Liberia in 1932 as a baby and made his movie debut in 1934. He starred in about a dozen Tarzan films and retired from his film career after appearing in the 1967 picture Dr Doolittle.

Cheeta outlived both his human co-stars. Johnny Weissmuller, who played Tarzan, died in 1984, aged 79, and Maureen O'Sullivan, who played Jane, died in 1998 at 87.

Mr Westall said there was plenty of life left in the veteran actor, adding: "He likes to go to the drive-through and get a hamburger."

Palm Springs Mayor Ron Oden later named the day Cheeta Day.

I thought he'd died years ago! They should give him an Honorary Oscar.

See also: Cheeta the World's Oldest Chimpanzee

It's an excellent site.

WORSHIP HIM!
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 12th Apr 2007 at 3:45 PM. Reason: tidy

That painting he's doing disturbs me, it looks like some crazed hell beast.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wow! I had hear a few years back than Cheetha was still alive. Out of interest was he in the first film ("Tarzan the ape-man") in 1932 (even though he was obviously in the same original film series)? If not, I presume the original Cheetha is long gone.

He's not in Edgar Rice Burroughs books though- so he's not canon.