Default Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Now this is coming out on dvd rereleased in slimline packaging shortly.I have never seen the show but I have seen Voyager and Enterprise in their entirety.I understand its very arc based eg similairly to Babylon 5(a large reason why ive not seen the show)-is it to be recommended and if so why?

I was always very fond of DS9, I think it's considered to be the most serious and darkest of the Trek series in general, with a lot of the storylines centreing around religious beliefs and political ideas. But having said that there's still a lot of good old fashioned Trek fun along with that.

Personally it has some of my favourite individual characters in it, like Odo, O'Brien, Sisko, and Dax, but I do just about prefer TNG, sometimes DS9 gets a little claustrophobic as nearly all the episodes are set on the station. I'd definitely recommend it despite this, there's a lot to admire in this series, and it never lost it's way in the way that (I think) Voyager sometimes did.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

DS9 along with the much maligned 'Enterprise' is my fave of ST sequels.
    The only thing that let's it down IMO, is that after an excellent pilot, it was mostly dull dross apart from a few exceptions for it's first 2 seasons, & didn't really pick up until during S3.
    But it really made up for it, because the vast majority of S4 - S7 are absolutely excellent, IMO.

Sendit have them for abt 26 a season-so i may well snap these up

DS9 is my favourite Star Trek series. Mainly for the great plot arcs that carry on throughout the series and the big supporting cast. Gul Dukat and Weyoun are the best Trek villains ever, and Garak is just brilliant.

Starting from about Season 4 it really finds it's feet once the Dominion war plotline gets going, the first three seasons are also good but are a bit uneven at times. It has my favourite cast of any of the series as well, Sisko is someone I consistently agree with and route for, and the relationships between the crew are all very well developed, like the rivalry between Odo and Quark and the gradual building of friendship between O Brien and Bashir.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    The only thing that let's it down IMO, is that after an excellent pilot, it was mostly dull dross apart from a few exceptions for it's first 2 seasons, & didn't really pick up until during S3.
    But it really made up for it, because the vast majority of S4 - S7 are absolutely excellent, IMO.
    I agree. The pilot episode was excellent, but most of the rest of S1&2 were pretty dull, with the odd exception. Season 3 was immediately an improvement on the previous 2, but the biggest improvement was mostly during the later episodes. Unfortunately I lost track of the series during S4 due to my (then) new-born daughter taking up so much of my time. I've always meant to catch up with these final four seasons, as the few episodes that I did see were generally excellent. One of these days...

This is off topic slightly, but Alexander Siddig, who plays Dr Bashir, is now in series 6 of 24, and I just can't get over how weird it is...I keep on expecting O'Brien to turn up and for them to go off and muck around on a holodeck.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Like many others who've posted in this thread so far, I too believe that DS9 is excellent - by far the best of the entire Trek franchise, actually!

I'm gonna wait for them to come down in price to 17 (the price the slimline TNG boxes are currently going for), and then get the lot

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    i'd certainly agree with that the first 2 seasons were all pretty much stuck on the Space Station and it was not untill they began to move away from the station that I started taking an interest in DS9. Of the 4 different brands DS9 was by far the best and it's final few seasons especialy when Worff joined the crew were all top qaulity stuff.