Thread: Formula 1

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Lets just agree that Ferrari dropped the ball on more than one occasion.

That explains why they were so rubbish at Melbourne... they were clearly playing the wrong sport!
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1701 View Post
    I nominate Raikkonen instead for an absolutely hopeless overtaking attempt which almost put him into the wall... then losing it a few laps later by dropping his rear wheel onto the grass.
    I'm sticking with Massa. If as I suspect the Ferrari is faster than the MClaren over the course of this year then Massa did have some chance of winning this race especially as time proved that the Ferrari's were one stopping to McLarens two. Not a bad policy on a race traditionally scuppered by Safety cars.

As for Raikonnen even a one stop could not catch up the start line position his only hope was to pass and pass quickly and he simply overcooked it in an attempt to get to the front. Hampered of course by Ferraris foolish decision not to pit when available. This would have put him near the back but on full tanks and new tyres when all in front held back by the SC could not have gotten too far away before they too had to pit. Chances he would have passed the slower cars on the track and the quicker ones in the pits.

As it is Ferrari had him chase after Kovvi and Glock on worn tyres needlessly.

Yes I agree with others here Ferrari are missing the nonce of Ross Brawn.

I do like the removal of TC for viewers benefit but unless the leader is seriously chased this move gives an even greater advantage to the lead car in clean air.

Revised Malaysian GP starting grid:

1. MASSA Ferrari
    2. RAIKKONEN Ferrari
    3. TRULLI Toyota
    4. KUBICA BMW
    5. HEIDFELD BMW
    6. WEBBER Red Bull
    7. ALONSO Renault
    8. KOVALAINEN McLaren*
    9. HAMILTON McLaren*
    10. GLOCK Toyota
    11. BUTTON Honda
    12. COULTHARD Red Bull
    13. PIQUET Renault
    14. BARRICHELLO Honda
    15. VETTEL Toro Rosso
    16. ROSBERG Williams
    17. FISICHELLA Force India
    18. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso
    19. SATO Super Aguri
    20. SUTIL Force India
    21. DAVIDSON Super Aguri
    22. NAKAJIMA Williams**

* penalised 5 places for impeding Heidfeld

** penalised 10 places for Melbourne incident

Do you think the penalties against McLaren were justified? (I'm sure the Ferrari fans do).

Pip Madeley Guest

Massa was unlucky, and Hamilton really suffered with that disastrous pit stop, but all credit to Robert Kubica and Heikki Kovalainen for gaining podium places.

A good race that. Raikkonen was lucky that Massa left the track, I think Massa was the better driver to be honest. Hamilton had a weekend of unfortunate luck but Kovalainen showed that a podium was possible for Hamilton.
    Drive of the day for me goes to Kubica, he kept out of trouble & drove a solid race.

I agree with your drive of the Day. Kubrica made the most of his opportunity with a sensible drive that avoided excessive car wear and maximised the BMW's capabilities.

Initially I thought that Massa Had entered Brainfade territory again until this afternoons replays which distinctly showed a puff of dust from his left front whel as his accident occured. I suspect a failing brake.
    Raikonnen cruised and I do believe the Ferrari realy is going to be outstanding on Normal circuits.

the McLarens were all over the place handling wise. well at least Hamiltons was as we had no cockpit shots of Kovvi. This may have been due to the need for Hamilton to go all out all day. His Brake dust at the first pit stop suggested he was pushing very Hard.

And Trulli for once stood upto some pressure and offered no fear of the "Trulli train"

Williams shot themselves in the foot with a car that clearly did not have to much downforce. See the wing angles. It really should be better for an experienced team like Williams to not play the old Jordon game of setting cars with low downforce and hoping their drivers can hold onto the thing. Nico should have been up there with the Toyotas at least.

as for the qualifying debarcle. It's often said that the FIA is pro Ferrari and anti McLaren. A 5 place drop on the grid was inadequate and a maximum 10 places or disqualification shoulod have applied. Teams have been punished far worse in the past for much lower infringments. I site Rascasgate as an example, or the appeal in 2006 for impedment to Alonso at Monza.

I watched the qualifying on the Saturday and saw the holding up of Heidfeld and Alonso by Hamilton and Kovaleinen, and whilst I don't think it was intentional, it was a justified 5 place grid penalty for both drivers. The whole "fuel-saving" tactic has to be changed though as it's clearly dangerous.
    Geoff

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh dear!

Lewis Hamilton suffered a major crash to compound a miserable day in Bahrain as Ferrari pair Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen dominated Friday practice. The Briton ran off the track and into a barrier during the second session but was unharmed ahead of Sunday's race.

The current world championship leader appeared to lose traction coming out of a series of swift turns, which led to him locking up and sliding across a run-off area and into the barrier with considerable force. After a few moments to compose himself, Hamilton emerged from his badly damaged car apparently unharmed. He was then taken back to the McLaren garage on the back of a motorbike, while his car was craned onto the back of a truck and returned to the pits for repairs.

All I have to say about Fridays practice(s) is, isn't it great to have Williams up the front again. Too great a team to have them hanging around the tale end of the mid field, and super that they are making better use of the Toyota engine than the works team.

Lets hope this continues over the week end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Oh dear!

No McLaren fan here, but in justification, pushing to the edge is what Friday practice is all about. How often did we see MS do it in his career.

Just noticed that he was on the supposed stickier soft compound tyres. Does not auger well for Bahrain where tricky braking can shred tyres

Tomorrows grid looks like this.

1. KUBICA BMW Nice one!
    2. MASSA Ferrari
    3. HAMILTON McLaren
    4. RAIKKONEN Ferrari
    5. KOVALAINEN McLaren
    6. HEIDFELD BMW
    7. TRULLI Toyota
    8. ROSBERG Williams
    9. BUTTON Honda
    10. ALONSO Renault

11. WEBBER Red Bull
    12. BARRICHELLO Honda
    13. GLOCK Toyota
    14. PIQUET Renault
    15. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso
    16. NAKAJIMA Williams

17. COULTHARD Red Bull
    18. FISICHELLA Force India
    19. VETTEL Toro Rosso
    20. SUTIL Force India
    21. DAVIDSON Super Aguri
    22. SATO Super Aguri

I must admit I'm surprised they didn't penalise Massa for Q1 because he set his fastest sector under waved yellow flags - and as Martin Brundle said - flags are flags.

By the way - was the grinning smiley for Alonso because he's so far down the grid?

Incidentally, Polish Robert Kubica on pole... That's a headline writer dream isn't it? POLE ON POLE!
    Geoff

Yes the for Alonso is because he's so far down the grid. Ever since he pulled that stunt in the pit, blocking his team mate from getting a proper pit stop, I've disliked him. Just because your team mate is doing better than you is no reason to try & sabotage him!

I'm not surprised that Massa has got away with it. F1 has been pro-Ferrari since M.S started winning & got F1 in the general publics eye. The only time Ferrari get penalised is when they can't ignore an infringement. Remember the incident with Damon Hill, M.S took him out because he couldn't keep D.H behind & if D.H won that race then M.S would have not won the World title.
    But I don't expect any Ferrari fan to agree with me. Shame M.S couldn't do it again as pointed out by Martin Brundle I think it was; "Not this time Michael".

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I'm not surprised that Massa has got away with it. F1 has been pro-Ferrari since M.S started winning & got F1 in the general publics eye. The only time Ferrari get penalised is when they can't ignore an infringement. Remember the incident with Damon Hill, M.S took him out because he couldn't keep D.H behind & if D.H won that race then M.S would have not won the World title.
    Schumacher was driving for Benetton at the time...

Bahrain

very simple race report here.

Drive of the Day: Massa. Just did what he had to superbly.

Brainfade of the day: the coming together of Jenson and DC. maybe they should fit caravan mirrors on DC's car.

Worst Feature: Over the whole weekend JA's commentry has been worse than ever with mistakes all over the place. Not withstanding that the failure to show the press conferance was awful and this time ITV did not have Corrie to take into account.

Williams did disappoint and Trulli did well again. Heidfeld and Kubica showing what the BMW is capable of and Kovvi proved that maybe the McLaren is not outstanding after all.

Awful race for Hamilton from the go. Pathetic start led to all sorts of trouble, and I am not of the school that believes that Fernando would risk his life just to get back at Hamilton.

Bravo Fernando.

In coming second in Qualifing.

Either He has driven out of his skin and made the car do something it really shouldn't by skill alone, or he has fuelled light, possibly giving away possible points in order to please home fans.

Either way he is applauded for bringing the sport back to the fans.

Kimi Fantastic as ever doing what was expected.

Kovvi. Why back off last sector? Team orders I suspect under an excuse that tyres were going off.

I suspect LH needs all the luck he can get as this years McLaren in lacking an experienced driver to set it up properly. RD must rue the day he brassed Alonso off. had he not I suspect a certain WDC would have come McLarens way last year, and this years would be still on the cards.
    Tulli again making the car do the impossible. Nice to see a good finish to follow up.

Good race that. Kimi did an OK job from pole to flag, Massa did well to pass Alonso (although I doubt anyone would have expected him to do anything else). Hamilton drove a well paced race & showed that McLaren aren't that far behind Ferrari. Kubica drove a solid race & Webber did very well. But my drive of the day was Button who drove an exceptional race to get 6th for Honda after his poor qualifying.

Good race that. Kimi did an OK job from pole to flag, Massa did well to pass Alonso (although I doubt anyone would have expected him to do anything else). Hamilton drove a well paced race & showed that McLaren aren't that far behind Ferrari. Kubica drove a solid race & Webber did very well. But my drive of the day was Button who drove an exceptional race to get 6th for Honda after his poor qualifying.

Absolutly agree with you that the drive of the day was Buttons. Kimi and Massa Cruised and did all they needed to do. 1 and 2

Kubica was strong as was Hamilton

getting rather fed up with ITV's Hamilton love fest.

I'm glad Kovalainen seems like he's going to be okay. Didn't think much of the race - a usual Spain snorefest, really.

Yeah, not the most exciting race, though the report which called it a procession was a little harsh as positions did change, though mostly due to engine failures and backmarkers colliding. Button definitely did the best job on the day, nice to see something going OK for him for once. Kovalainen's accident looked bad... the onboard shot showed the tyre just instantly deflated, but the gravel should really have taken some speed of the car. It was worrying to see how far into the barrier he went, and there's a picture knocking about showing clear air through from the cockpit to the point where the nose came off which shouldn't happen anymore with the new monocock designs. I hope McLaren haven't been up to their 'non-standard parts' trick again. Reckon the FIA might have a little look at the front of the car, although if there are any problems on the McLaren it will be because of the development being frozen to ensure there were no Ferrari parts on the car. Probably also explains why the car looks such a dog to handle at the moment.

Monaco GP starting grid

1. MASSA Ferrari
    2. RAIKKONEN Ferrari
    3. HAMILTON McLaren
    4. KOVALAINEN McLaren
    5. KUBICA BMW
    6. ROSBERG Williams
    7. ALONSO Renault
    8. TRULLI Toyota
    9. WEBBER Red Bull
    10. GLOCK Toyota
    11. BUTTON Honda
    12. HEIDFELD BMW
    13. NAKAJIMA Williams
    14. BARRICHELLO Honda
    15. COULTHARD Red Bull*
    16. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso
    17. PIQUET Renault
    18. SUTIL Force India
    19. VETTEL Toro Rosso*
    20. FISICHELLA Force India*

* penalised for gearbox change

No prizes for guessing a Ferrari win. Even with the rain.

I've never been so glad to see rain or indeed for me to be so wrong. What a great race!

Kimi get brain fade of the day & I'd like Sutil to get Driver of the day but thanks to Kimi he failed to finish.
    Ferrari should be getting that repair bill! I really wanted to see Sutil to get 4th.

So I'm giving Drive of the day jointly to Kubica & Hamilton. Lewis would have got it on his own but he hit the wall (which perversely probably helped him) & Kubica did well & pushed Ferrari & McLaren all the way.

I've never been so glad to see rain or indeed for me to be so wrong. What a great race!
    I was an absolutely fantastic race. Really entertaining, interesting and full of surprises. Unfortunately the commentators did jinx Sutil a bit, but it was great watching an accident happen 'live'.

Driver of the day would have been Sutil, had it not been for that unfortunate accident, so instead it's going to Kubica for a flawless race - probably the only driver who that could be applied to
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Absolutely agree that drive of the Day should go to Kubica who's stock must be rising daily. Flawless and as usual completly bossing his team mate who is no slouch. Not to forget Vettal who put it together as well. Kubica is going to win someday and with a little improvement on the car we may yet see a WDC in the making.

Absolutely mystified why Massa was going so slow during the middle session. To permit Hamilton to close the gap and establish such a lead was ridiculous. Hamilton was not especially quick throughout this session, but Massa who should have had at least comparable times permitted a loss of 1 second per lap and could not pull a gap on Kubica which he should easily have done. Wet or no wet Ferrari misjudged the day.

I suspect that Ferrari completly misread McLarens intentions. someone suggested to me that Ferrari got themselves confused by the rules and expected that McLaren would be forced to undertake two stints on dry tyres, one on softs and one on hard tyres as well as the Intermediates to meet the new rules. That way I think Ferrari always thought that they had a pit stop in hand over McLaren and did not ask their drivers to push, not that Kimis Brainfade would have let him anyway.

In mitigation for Kimi his drive reminded me of one or two drives by Michael Schumacher over the years, where by either qualifying poorly, having punctures or failing to get off the grid he found himself well down early on and had to push hard. For MS this sometimes ended in magnificent glory or in more than one occasion a catalogue of errors in a similar way to Kimis misfortunes. ( I seem to remember a Japanese Grand prix not too many years ago like this ) Kimi's no Michael and his charges are more likely to fail as his old problem of not having too much car sympathy reappears.

I feel like starting a seperate thread on DCs woes.