Default Broadband - the Perils and the Pitfalls

In this world of modern technology, is there a service which is more complex and varied than broadband? Still on dial up, I want to upgrade once I buy a new PC, but as I mentioned elsewhere, it's a minefield.
    After initial research, it seems a bit of a gamble is required, as many providers are critcised for poor connection speeds, customer service and general reliability. My immediate choice of providers- Orange, AOL and Virgin all appear to be unpopular if users of Think Broadband and Watchdog are to be believed.

Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations?

Dave Lewis Guest

I thought the whole world was on broadband these days...

Clearly not.

I'm with ntl, have been for years, and haven't (touch wood... torchwood?) had any problems with them.

We're with BT, and we've never had any problems with them.

I'm with Tiscali & no problems yet. I pay 17.99 a month for fast* Unlimited broadband & local & national phone calls.

*Fast being 4.1 mbps. So far my download speed is limited to the server on which the download is coming from & not my connection.

Cheers guys. I will probably just have to take the plunge. Madasafish seems to be popular aswell.

Pip Madeley Guest

I really need to change my broadband. 1MB connection for 30 a month (BT Yahoo Broadband)...

Problem is, if I swap somewhere else, I know they'd drag it out and I'd be offline for weeks (putting the PS site up the swanny too).

I've been with ntl / Virgin Media since going broadband and they're definitely improving. I'd been stuck with a 1Mb connection because they built the modem into the cable box. This afternoon I had a standalone modem installed and I'm getting much better performance. The setup CD didn't work but a quick phone call (to an Indian call centre - rare praise for them but she was really good and sorted me out in five minutes) has got it working. I'm currently getting 1185kB/s download and am happy. And they're going to double that next month.

So I can recommend Virgin Media - all the benefits of a cable connection and at least one really good phone operator.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Cheers Lissa

Problem is, if I swap somewhere else, I know they'd drag it out and I'd be offline for weeks (putting the PS site up the swanny too).
    They are legally obliged to give you a migration code within 5 days. The new ISP should be able to handle the switch for you.

Pip Madeley Guest

Is that a recent change? I thought MAC codes were nightmarish to get hold of...

The new legislation came in February this year. Go get 'em!

Captain Tancredi Guest

BT has been OK for me for the last three weeks- it just tends to have a bit of a blue fit if I try to have the phone, Sky and the computer on at the same time.

I'd have a fit if I couldn't have the computer, phone & Sky on at the same time. That's just not right.

I really need to change my broadband. 1MB connection for 30 a month (BT Yahoo Broadband)...
    Pip have you tried phoning them up and asking to upgrade your service. Thats what we did with BT. I can't remember what our connection is now but it much better than that and only costs 17.99 a month.

Pip Madeley Guest

They've offered me the new modem hub/faster speed but I've not taken them up on it yet... I may do soon, it's just a big ball ache if they cut my connection for days on end.

BT didn't cut our connection just told us that it would be updated on a certain day and the the connect may not be available during that time. We didn't notice any loss of service. I think it was updated before we used the pc that day.

Pip Madeley Guest

I may look into it then, thanks Paul. I can't see me getting a much faster speed though... my friend had his BT connection upgraded, but it only went from 1MB to 1.4MB.

2MB would be a miracle.

We're supposed to have 2MB but to be honest I've never checked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    We're supposed to have 2MB but to be honest I've never checked it.
    Click here: http://www.speedtest.net/

My work PC's connection rates are 4.323 Mb/s download, and 7.208Mb/s upload with 73 ms latency... (now if only I could get that at home!)

Captain Tancredi Guest

Had a slight panic attack last night when I set up BT online billing- I was expecting a slightly higher bill this month because it'll cover the calls I was making up until I switched on 27th March plus broadband from then until the end of May. What I wasn't expecting was to find 'Recent Calls' on my account at 571 and change!

Looking into it further (and the dates of the calls etc) I was slightly relieved to find that they define 'Recent Calls' as everything since your last online bill- in other words, since I switched the calls back to BT 18 months ago...panic over.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Even better news- broadband has practically halved my phone bill! Just shows how much time I spend online and how much of my calls were to my ISP...