Default Washing Machines

Is anyone an expert on washing machines? Not using them, I mean about what's a good make, what's reliable and the like?

Our machine ground to a noisy halt yesterday when the drun decided to detatch itself (but we can't complain, we got it free with the house and we reckon it's over 20 years old), and so we need to buy a new one and I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I've heard Miele are good, but their very expensive, and that Bosch are also pretty reliable...

But maybe someone can help?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've heard that Miele are good but very expensive. We have a Hotpoint Ultima Super Silent. About 300 I think it was inc. delivery & taking the old one away. The last one we had was an indesit that lasted about 10years or so.

This one is very easy to use & has programmes at the touch of a button & not one of those 'clicky dials' that usually go wrong.

I first bought ours five years ago, so that's a pretty good indicator of durability. I can check the make tonight if it will help.

Si.

We've got an Ultima machine, like Tim, which we bought... probably about six years ago. We got it from HBH Woolacotts, who do interest-free credit, and I think it was around 200-250 at the time. We haven't had much trouble - the motor went just before the free three-year warranty ran out, so that was replaced FOC; and the paddles inside tend to shear off, so we've had to replace a couple of those (they're easily picked up cheap from ebay) so...

Actually, I'm not really selling this am I - it's reliable, except for the motor breaking and the paddles falling off?!! I'll just get me coat...

Ours broke down after 12 years of good service. We went for an indesit washer dryer and are so far very pleased. We got it from comet online and it was 279.95 which was cheaper than the shop price.

We've got an Ultima machine, like Tim
    "What else could the word be, Doctor? Socks."
    I hope the instructions aren't in ancient runic text. :sofa
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've found Whirlpool/Ignis reliable and reasonably priced too

WhiteCrow Guest

Usually when you buy a new piece of electrical goods, they offer to a 5 year warrenty at very expensive rates.

Normally you don't need one, but my dad recons it's better to get a cheaper machine machine with a warranty than a good one without one. Basically they use water and have lots of moving parts = lots to go wrong, and WILL go wrong!

Wayne Guest

I bought a SERVIS 1500spin from Currys last summer for just 200, (down from 250). Good brand, very quiet, (well compared to the old one anyway) & no probs, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Usually when you buy a new piece of electrical goods, they offer to a 5 year warrenty at very expensive rates.

Normally you don't need one, but my dad recons it's better to get a cheaper machine machine with a warranty than a good one without one. Basically they use water and have lots of moving parts = lots to go wrong, and WILL go wrong!
    I think the manufacturer's direct extended warranty is good value but the likes of Dixons/Curry's are just there to fleece you of your cash

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I bought a SERVIS 1500spin from Currys last summer for just 200, (down from 250). Good brand, very quiet, (well compared to the old one anyway) & no probs, so far.
    Ours is a Servis, we've had it for over fifteen years, and (touch wood) we've not had many problems with it at all, great machine.

Servis sounds like a Doctor Who guest character too.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Ours is a Servis, we've had it for over fifteen years, and (touch wood) we've not had many problems with it at all, great machine.
    My old one was a Servis. My great aunt had it for over 10yrs before she died, & then i had for 6yrs before it died. I think over 16yrs is pretty good going. I hope my new one lasts that long!

Our old one, which we reckoned to have done over 20 years was a Servis.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Well, there you go then! That's 3 good recommendations for the longevity of Servis.

Do they get a Long Servis medal after ten years?

I'll get me coat.

@Andrew