Dave Lewis Guest

Default This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches....

But why?

Pip Madeley Guest

Because searches are server-intensive and they slow things down for others. We need the 30 second limit because our database is quite large now (nearly 34,000 posts). Just keeps things running smoother.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    But why?
    To stop us doing loads of searches and overloading the system?

Dave Lewis Guest

I see the logic... but it doesn't seem to work properly. I wait longer than thirty seconds, try again, and it just returns me to the "This forum requires..." screen, with the same amount of seconds left until I can post again.

Even logging out and deleting cookies is failing to stop this happening!

Dave Lewis Guest

Can I just add that I'm not getting this through the "search" function because I never use it. I'm getting it when I click on "today's posts" in the "quick links" tab.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I see the logic... but it doesn't seem to work properly. I wait longer than thirty seconds, try and search again, and it just returns me to the "This forum requires..." screen, with the same amount of seconds left until I can post again.

Even logging out and deleting cookies is failing to stop this happening!
    Hmm, can't understand that... I'll have a proper look when I can.

Whenever I do a search I'll do it through 'Search', never had a problem with that.

WhiteCrow Guest

Oooh - I seemed to manage to do two searches within 10 seconds just - I'll be banned before I know it!

Dave Lewis Guest

I'm now getting it when I click on "find all posts by Dave Lewis"...

Dave Lewis Guest

And oddly enough, I'm still getting it, trying to find my posts and responses thereto, some five hours later. And I've logged out and logged back in again.

I know that nobody ever replies to my rambling anyway, but I always prefer to see the threads in question to confirm it.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll turn the 30 second wait off for now, and see how we get on, but if we're having any problems with performance (very few lately I'm glad to say), I'll have to switch it back on as it is server-intensive.

Why has no-one asked the most important question - IS that a new picture of Dave in his avatar?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Mr Curnow asked it on another thread, and yes, it is Mr Lewis. I wonder what's he looking at...

I wonder what's he looking at...
    That's usually the expression you see when people are looking at their keyboard and typing with thier index fingers.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That's usually the expression you see when people are looking at their keyboard and typing with thier index fingers.
    Nah, it's a picture taken of me with my old mobile phone ages ago, actually... back in 2005 if I recall... I might be trying to be all arty and cool but more likely what I'm looking at is a spilled ashtray or a pizza box on the floor.

I only put it on because I wanted a pic of the real me, and the image in question is my current Facebook avatar, and all the other, more recent pics, that I have, are of me with some strange "The Griffin" logo beneath me.

As soon as I get a better picture, I shall replace this aged one.

Mr Curnow asked it on another thread
    Indeed I did, when I was feeling a little William Hartnell.

Really, and what did the 'Little William Hartnell' think of being felt by you?