Default How Do You Do It?

I've moaned before about posters on some other forums who are actively posting online while a new episode of Who is on - it always amazes me as to why anybody would want to do that.

But each to his/her own and all that. So in the interests of... well, of just being a bit nosey really, I'm wondering now how we all watch Who. Do you just watch it? Do you watch it, but with the back of an envelope to hand incase you want to make a note of anything? Do you keep the PC on to post comments as you go? Are you watching the episode with part of your mind already framing some choice comments for posting online later? Or are the 'watching' and the 'online discussion' entirely separate for you? And does whatever you do, enhance your enjoyment of the episode do you think, or is it "not like it used to be in the old days"?

Me, I get Zel to take down all my witty comments in shorthand as we go, then type them up in longhand while I'm watching Confidential. Nah, not really!

I sit down to enjoy an episode, it still gives me a thrill when the music starts, and still takes me back to the old days.
    In preperation for the latest episode I make sure everything I need to do is done, turn my surround system on, and sit down and enjoy, without thought for any forum or online activity, although the line in last nights episode "..oh, he likes musical theatre" made me laugh out loud and the thought ran through my mind that someone, somewhere would be basing a whole post around that on a forum somewhere.

I'm the same as Steve. I write a column on each episode for "The Mighty Verve" but I don't even think about that while I'm watching it. I close all the doors, get some water, have a wee, and then settle down. When the credits crash in I turn up the volume and jump about in my seat. Basically I just try and immerse myself in the adventure and EXPERIENCE it as much as possible. It's not a time for going on-line.

Si.

Trudi G Guest

I watch it, and enjoy it. Later on that evening, or the next day i will make a small comment about it on here

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    I sit down to enjoy an episode, it still gives me a thrill when the music starts, and still takes me back to the old days.
    In preperation for the latest episode I make sure everything I need to do is done, turn my surround system on, and sit down and enjoy, without thought for any forum or online activity, although the line in last nights episode "..oh, he likes musical theatre" made me laugh out loud and the thought ran through my mind that someone, somewhere would be basing a whole post around that on a forum somewhere.
    Like Steve, I get everything out of the way (I even turn my mobile off), sit down and just enjoy the episode. I'll usually come on PS afterwards to open the discussion thread (leaving the recorder to tape Confidential, which I prefer to watch on its own during the week), and see what other people think, but I won't post my full thoughts until I've given it a second viewing, usually the day after.

I usually watch it whilst staring at whatever's on ITV at the same time.

Never seen an episode. That's why I can't post my full thoughts.

Pip Madeley Guest

You've not posted a full thought since 2004.

Dave Lewis Guest

I utilise the internet to view the episode at some juncture in the week, watch it, then come online to post inaccurate comments, crap jokes, and laugh at whatever James has cut 'n' pasted from the Ian Levine forum/Roobarbs/OG/DS/Anorak Zone.

I remember the halcyon days of 2005 when I watched several episodes as they went out. As I recall, I saw none of last year's "live" and I predict I will see only one of this year's at transmission time.

I fall in to the "switch off phones / lock doors / refuse to acknowledge the outside world" category, and just sit there and hope to be entertained, which thankfully happens most of the time. I do like to go online straight after the credits have rolled to have a bit of a ramble about it though, especially as it only takes about 5 seconds thanks to having a laptop next to me whilst I'm watching it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I watch and enjoy the episode when it goes out. Sometimes this is preceded by a frantic effort to get dinner sorted out and dished up before the start of the teaser. Then, when i feel up to it, be it later that night or a day or two later, I come here, read everyone's comments, then post my own.

And over 30 episodes in I still have not been able to resist joining in when the theme music comes on!

In 2006 I'd try to arrange to watch Doctor Who with friends, either round ours or theirs, so how I watched it ended up varying enormously. Apart from the 6:55 wee, there's very little consistency.

One of the most fun occassions was for Aliens of London, where Si, Davey and myself were running down a corridor of a hotel in Feltham where Davey was staying - at 6:59 desparately trying to catch the opening!

Watching Doomsday with 14 people at Si's birthday was pretty memorable too.

There's still some people that Si and me are trying to tick off our 'Watched Doctor Who with' list. Beware! We're a bit scuppered this year because we've got two weddings to go to on Saturdays. But there are still a fair few episodes free.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I can recall dashing down the motorway with Jonno and Simon to catch "Doomsday" at Si & Steve's and making it with about 15 minutes to spare!

Si.

It might have helped if we'd taken the car!

I simply can't understand people who post their comments while simultaneously watching it * - or anything. I've seen plenty of examples notably on Digital Spy - and not just Who. The Apprentice, Deal or No Deal, doesn't seem to matter.

The only time I'm online while the TV is on is something I'm not overly fussed about - something like a dull episode of EE (quite often nowadays!) or sport where you can soon glance over when the crowd gets excited. But new drama needs 100% attention.

* HST, I and a few other PS members did just that some years ago in the TARDISite chat room when we did a live Time Team effort on The Awakening and later Deadly Assassin - posting our comments while simultaneously watching. That was rather fun at the time, but of course it was not a new episode!

I don't think I've actually missed more than 2 episodes of the new series live before it came back. One was "End of the World" which I had a wedding reception to go to, and I fought greatly against that. And "The Runaway Bride" which I could have watched but decided I was too drunk to appreciate it so deliberately missed it.

Si.

I watch the episodes go out live, unless I'm working, in which case I record it for later. It has my undivided attention, though.

I thought this was a Gerry and the Pacemakers thread...

Each new episode is a bit of a mini-event for me, watching it as it goes out (I've only ever missed a handful of episodes on their original transmission, for various reasons) and so I too switch off my mobile and put the house phone on silent. No interruptions for me, no thank you! Fortunately, to this day, nobody has ever called round either... but then, I don't get visitors these days...

While I'm watching, I think about things, making a few mental notes, and even formulating sentences and points I'd like to make in my review, but generally, I just like to enjoy it. I usually then go online sometime later that evening, often straight after 'Confidential'.

I don't come online while I'm watching Dr Who or any other drama type thing, but I do like posting online when I'm watching something like Eurovision or the Big Brother launch night - it can be quite fun seeing everyone elses reactions in real time.

I ususally tape it and watch it on sunday with Tabby. We're usually putting the kids to bed when its on.

The new season won't be broadcast here till July, but this season will be different for me now that I have a DVR. I will record every episode and try to watch live. If the kids start acting up I will be able to pause and rewind live TV if I miss anything. I'm fully sold on this DVR thing now if you can't tell.