Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1990s Outer Limits

Yay! At long last this series is released on season sets on DVD - 30 April 2007

I remember enjoying these then being disappointed when they ended to be replaced by some new series called the X files. If my memory isn't cheating me these are superior to the 1960s version so that it's the opposite of the Twilight Zone in that regard.

I thought I should set up a shiny new thread in readyness

Wayne Guest

I've never seen any of the re-makes at all, so i'm quite curious.

I've just ordered a set from Foxy at 25.45 Standard RRP 34.99

The blurb from Foxy:

Based on the 1960s cult sci-fi classic, this series from the 1990s carries on the legacy with an unstinting exploration into unknown realms. Aspects of the supernatural, paranormal, and extraterrestrial are incorporated into a show that does not sugarcoat its drama, but posits unfriendly aliens and technology run amok. Often dystopian in its view of the future, the show addresses time travel, alien visitation, the existence of God, and the concept of life as a hallucination. The first series includes the episode 'White Light Fever', in which a brilliant cardiologist may have found a way to avoid death, and 'Living Hell', in which an experimental brain implant goes horribly awry when an unfortunate young man begins experiencing horrific visions. Other episodes include 'Corner of the Eye', 'Dark Matters', and 'Caught in the Act'. The revolving cast in the first series included Beau Bridges (INTO THE WEST), Kelly Rowan (THE O.C.), Alyssa Milano (WHO'S THE BOSS, CHARMED), and Leonard Nimoy (STAR TREK).

Special Features
    Origin of The Outer Limits
    The Outer Limits story
    The making of 'Quality Of Mercy'
    Valerie 23 featurette

Wayne Guest

Sounds interesting. Maybe i could borrow it off you, sometime...

Yes I'm sure I can lend it to you Wayne

From Wikipedia:

Outer Limits 1995-2002

After an aborted attempt to bring back The Outer Limits during the early eighties, it was finally reborn in 1995. The success of television science fiction such as Star Trek sequels and Babylon 5 and anthology shows such as Tales from the Crypt convinced the rights-holders, MGM, to revive it. A deal was made with Trilogy Productions, the company behind such cinema hits as Backdraft and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and the show would run on the pay-tv channel Showtime. The episodes appeared in syndication the following season (the same arrangement as MGM/Showtime series Stargate SG-1 and Poltergeist: The Legacy). It continued on Showtime until 2001, when the U.S. Sci Fi channel quietly took over production. It remained in production until 2002 before finally being cancelled, after a total of 154 episodes far more than the original incarnation of the show. In the revived show, the Control Voice was supplied by Kevin Conway. The new series was freed from the "monster of the week" mandate that had plagued the original series from its inception; while there were plenty of aliens and monsters, the "bear" could just as easily be a specific scientific concept and its effect on humanity. Some episodes illustrating this difference include "Dark Rain" (biochemical warfare causes world-wide sterility), "Final Exam" (discovery of practical cold fusion power), and "A Stitch in Time" (a time traveler tinkers with history).

The series was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Stories by Harlan Ellison, A.E. van Vogt, Eando Binder, Larry Niven, Richard Matheson, George R.R. Martin, Stephen King and James Patrick Kelly were adapted for the new series with varying degrees of success. Some of the original series' episodes were remade as well. The revived series contained more violent and sexual content (including occasional female nudity in the Showtime episodes that was edited out for syndication) than the original, including open-ended storylines.

In every season there is a clip show that connects the plots of several of the show's episodes (see "The Voice of Reason" for an example). At each commercial interval, the Control Voice can be heard saying "The Outer Limits...please stand by". The voice also repeats this phrase upon return from the television ads.

The series is now aired in reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel but with a minor alteration--the phrase "please stand by" has been omitted from the opening dialog.

I've never seen this either. I remember that it got mixed reviews at the time of original broadcast, but the series ran and ran for years, so it couldn't have been all bad. If it's anything like the original it will have it's fair share of classics and duds scattered throughout the series.

Isn't it the same people who made Stargate SG-1 who made this, at least to begin with? This may/may not be a good thing, depending on your point of view. Although by saying the same people I'm not sure whether that's like saying the BBC make Doctor Who and Eastenders, or more like saying RTD made Doctor Who and Queer As Folk.

EPISODE 101: THE SANDKINGS (Parts 1 & 2)
    Original Airdate: March 26, 1995

"Simon Kress (BEAU BRIDGES) is a brilliant scientist who has painstakingly nurtured a highly classified project at a government-run research facility. This top-secret endeavor involves incubating eggs taken from Martian soil samples. Simon calls the creatures "Sandkings," and when one of them nearly escapes from the secure facility, the project is shut down. Even though the government facility is finished with the Sandkings, Simon's obsession is just beginning."

Watched this tonight - I remembered it too - I recall being keen to watch these - no CGI I believe but animation instead on this one. Great start - very entertaining 8/10

EPISODE 102: VALERIE 23

"Frank Hellner is a scientist who works at Cryo-botics — a company specializing in robotics. His best friend and boss, Charlie Rogers feels a sense of responsibility for Frank because he is a paraplegic, the victim of a tragic automobile accident. Charlie is continually trying to find female companions for Frank, and after many failed attempts, Frank agrees to meet Valerie (SOFIA SHINAS). Valerie is the "perfect" woman in every sense of the word, except there's a catch — she is an "inorganic human," better known as a robot. Cryo-botics needs to test Valerie, and because she is designed to be a companion for physically challenged men, Frank is the perfect candidate. At first he doesn't want anything to do with Valerie, but after a change of heart, he agrees to a one-week trial run. Despite Valerie's impeccable housekeeping skills, Frank is still uncomfortable with fact that she is an "inorganic human." But as Valerie becomes increasingly affectionate, Frank finally gives in to the passion. Programmed to please her companion, Valerie takes the sexual encounter very seriously. Frank immediately knows the intimate relationship was a mistake and tells Valerie how he feels."

I remembered this one and really enjoyed it as much this time around. Sofia Shinas plays the part absolutely perfectly plus she's incredibly gorgeous too! As a single bloke I think I'd be happy to be rushed a Valerie 23

I'd give this one 9/10

Wayne Guest

I think this series could possibly jump my queue.

point noted

EPISODE 103: BLOOD BROTHERS

"Spencer and Michael Deighton (MARTIN KEMP) are trying to carry on the legacy of their recently departed father Cameron, founder of Metadyne, a pharmaceutical research company known for its innovative medical breakthroughs. Unfortunately, this innovative spirit is not shared by the two brothers who are jockeying for the coveted position of CEO. The brothers are complete opposites. Spencer spends his days in the lab with his colleague Carl Toman, trying desperately to find cures for fatal diseases. Michael, on the other hand, oversees the financial aspects of the company and pushes for the development of more lucrative drugs, such as Jericho, which can be used by the government as a crowd control device to contain riots. While developing what promises to be a profitable but potentially deadly drug for the government, Spencer inadvertently discovers a possible vaccine that virtually ensures immortality. As a scientist, he understands the need to further test and monitor the vaccine, but he is ready to share his findings with the world."

It got a bit bored with this one to be honest - after the great start with the first two stories I was dissapointed - it simply didn't engage me - plus I've never been a great fan of Martin Kemp - he gives a pedestrian performance here. So overall this episode had the same impact as DWS3

This one gets 5/10

I used to love this series, and when it was on BBC2 (from about 1995, I think), it was the only US sci-fi series I would watch regularly (although I may have still been watching The X-Files at that point, I'm not sure). I seem to remember that there was a bit of fuss over the increased adult content, and occasional sex and nudity (Alyssa Milano fans will enjoy 'Caught In The Act' ), but there was more to the series than that, and some episodes were simply damn fine pieces of television.

My absolute favourite - and possibly one of my favourite episodes of any series ever - is 'The Quality Of Mercy'. It's got great performances (from Robert Patrick and Nicole De Boer) and a brilliant script, and features a magnificent twist at the end. I won't say any more, but I think you'll like that one, Ralph.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    (Alyssa Milano fans will enjoy 'Caught In The Act'

After seeing 'Embrace of the Vampire', i can't even say Alyssa Milano without drooling.
    Can i upgrade to express delivery?

@ Wayne

I used to love this series, and when it was on BBC2 (from about 1995, I think), it was the only US sci-fi series I would watch regularly (although I may have still been watching The X-Files at that point, I'm not sure). I seem to remember that there was a bit of fuss over the increased adult content, and occasional sex and nudity (Alyssa Milano fans will enjoy 'Caught In The Act' ), but there was more to the series than that, and some episodes were simply damn fine pieces of television.
    My recollection is whatever slot this had on BBC2 I think it was I was disappointed when it was replaced with X files - I'm sure thats what happened. I can vouch for the increase adult content

My absolute favourite - and possibly one of my favourite episodes of any series ever - is 'The Quality Of Mercy'. It's got great performances (from Robert Patrick and Nicole De Boer) and a brilliant script, and features a magnificent twist at the end. I won't say any more, but I think you'll like that one, Ralph.
    I see thats ep 15 in this season - I look forward to it Dave

EPISODE 104: SECOND SOUL

"It's a monumental day for the inhabitants of planet Earth; the first known contact has been made with aliens from another planet twelve light years away. The aliens from N'Tal have landed on Earth in hopes of saving their race from an untimely death. But no matter how compassionate humans can be, no one is prepared to handle the tragic needs of the new guests ready to inhabit Earth. Even though the N'Tal are far more advanced than humans, they still managed to destroy their planet by letting technology grow faster than their ability to understand it. Kadmis, the leader of the N'Tal, appeals to government officials to use dead human bodies for his people to reinhabit in order to regenerate their race."

One that has stuck in my memory again with the concept of Aliens needing our dead - a routine episode 6/10

Wayne Guest

Now that i've finished the last of my Who spinoffs tonight, I'll be making a start on this tomorrow, thanks to Ralph.
    I see the first story is a double ep, so i should get disc 1 done before i go to stay at my Mum's & Dad's for a week or so, on Weds morning.

Wayne Guest

I finally started on this a couple of days ago, thanks to Ralph.

Disc 1.

'SandKings' - Good start! As a double episoder, the story held it's own nicely without flagging. I liked the story idea, & it was backed up by decent performances. The creatures looked good, & liked the structures that they were building. All in all, the whole thing was very convincing, & the lovely Helen Shaver, who i recall from an 80's film called 'Desert Hearts', which had some rather memorable* scenes, made for great MILF eye candy.
    I agree with Ralph's score of 8/10.

*lesbian snogathon

'Valerie 23' - Bloody Hell! I want one! erm..... I thought this was a great episode. I always enjoy stories based on this concept, even though it's been used such a lot over the years.
    It reminded me very much of the original Twilight Zone ep: 'The Lonely'. Except of course Jean Marsh didn't get her kit off. Blimey! I haven't seen any of the this series before, & i'd quite forgotten the full frontal nudity mentioned by Mr.Tudor. That Sofia Shinas is a serious bit of kit, isn't she? What a corker!
    Again, i agree with Ralph's score of 9/10.

'Blood Brothers' - Definitely the weakest on the opening disc, but i still thought it was quite good. I like these little 'come uppance' themes, & Martin Kemp certainly got his. I partially agree with Ralph about Kemp's performance. He was a bit bland, but then i've seen a lot worse. Overall, i'd still say this was above average. 6/10 from me.

A good strong start to this series, overall then.
    It'll be a while before i get back to this thread, what with being away for a week or so, but i'm entusiastic, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    'Valerie 23' - Bloody Hell! I want one! erm..... I thought this was a great episode. I always enjoy stories based on this concept, even though it's been used such a lot over the years.
    It reminded me very much of the original Twilight Zone ep: 'The Lonely'. Except of course Jean Marsh didn't get her kit off. Blimey! I haven't seen any of the this series before, & i'd quite forgotten the full frontal nudity mentioned by Mr.Tudor. That Sofia Shinas is a serious bit of kit, isn't she? What a corker!
    Again, i agree with Ralph's score of 9/10.
    Yes I wanted one too but wouldn't any bloke! "I am fully functional" Can I have a test drive please?

This one reminded of the Jean Marsh one too - just an updated version but I love them both

Wayne Guest

I've got back into this series after being away for a while, etc... I've finally finished the next disc.

Disc 2.

'The Second Soul' - A historic first encounter between aliens and humans take a bizarre twist when the beings request human corpses to use as host bodies for their own dying people.
    I thought this was reasonably good. The palpable mistrust between the 2 main characters is well played. In fact the performances help this episode along to a nice conclusion in the end. 7/10

'White Light Fever' - An aging billionaire thinks his funding of life-extension research has paid off when he receives an experimental artificial heart, but the results are not what he bargained for.
    I found this one a bit of a plodder. The final scenes are good, but overall to slow to give it any more than 5/10

'The Choice' - An eight-year-old girl exhibits telekinetic abilities, attracting the attention of her mysterious nanny - and a Government agent following the nanny.
    A familiar Sci-Fi theme, but not a bad episode, nevertheless. If such a scenario ever happened, i think we'd have try to instill moral values into them, & just hope for the best. Either that or wipe them out....... 7/10

'Virtual Future' - A college student's key discoveries in virtual reality and artificial intelligence unlock the secrets of time travel - but attract the attention of an unscrupulous businessman.
    Hmmmm....... It's always nice to see a good actor like David Warner on the screen, but the actual story here didn't do much for me. Only David Warner's presence elevates this average episode up a notch. 5.5/10.

Not as strong as the first disc, but we'll see how the next 4 are.

I have to admit theres some very average stuff with good ones every so often. It was stronger at outset, I've still got about a third of the episodes still to watch.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I've still got about a third of the episodes still to watch.
    What, And you haven't been commenting your own thread!??

I'll bring it up to date shortly! I go through phases

Wayne Guest

It's always good to compare notes.

Agreed!