Default How Could You Treat Me Like This?

I'm feeling oddly "off" with one of my favourite bands right now. I've supported them for about ten or eleven years, but I'm really annoyed with them. I'm not quite sure why - It might be since I joined a fanclub type thing on the lure of rarities and got deeply swizzled - no rarities disc as yet, just entry to a really crappy forum. So that might have done it. Then there's the new single, a less than inspirational affair written and sung by the drummer. It's no hit!

Anyway, I wondered whether you had ever "fallen out" with one of your favourite bands or artists, and why? Maybe it's been a really rubbish record, or a bad concert experience... and did you make it up?

Si.

Pity the Hanson.

I fell out with Radiohead big stylee back in the summer of 2003. I was quite happy that they were OK, even though their later albums were dissappointing.

Most bands at Glastonbury share one big merchandise tent where you can buy T-Shirts and mugs. Then I saw that Radiohead weren't in that tent. They had their own ENORMOUS tent.

It was like a Radiohead concert, featuring the rest of the Glastonbury acts. They were behaving like they were SUPERIOR. But they're not, they're just a band. The hype was too much for me and I have shunned the buggers since. Even OK Computer lost it's sheen. I still enjoy their music occasionally, but it's very, very occasionally now.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Pity the Hanson.

I fell out with Radiohead big stylee back in the summer of 2003. I was quite happy that they were OK, even though their later albums were dissappointing.
    I too loved some of Radioheads stuff - I think tracks 2-4 on The Bends are just perfection.

Problem is with a lot of bands/artists there is a really fine line between producing songs of substance, and just really out there pretension.

I loved a band called House of Love in the 90s, but now when I listen to the songs I think that the lyrics don't make much sense and are generally oh so pretensious.

Likewise I've taken pot shots are Tori Amos on this site, I do think she's talented, but again sometimes seems overly pretensious. Same goes with Morissey, although to hear his "new stuff" he seems very much stuck in the 80s. And of course all those songs about Mrs Thatcher seem somehow just nostalgic now, not as punchy.

Pip Madeley Guest

Phil Collins gets on my wick now and then for the things he says - for example his comment at the press interview for the forthcoming tour when asked if they were only reuniting for money: "We're all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from". He's being honest (for example they've not got any sponsorship for the tour and as he said a moment later, "If money was the issue, we'd be playing more than 20 shows"), but the way it sounds is so awful, a really misjudged quote that can be so easily taken out of context...

I haven't bothered looking into anything new by Erasure since around the turn of th century... I wasn't too bothered about the stuff they were up to then (think it was when they did "Other People's Songs"), and hadn't done anything particularly great since their album "Erasure" back in '95. I suppose I ought to see if I can find any of their more recent albums in the sales... if anything, it adds to my collection of their stuff and may dissuade my lack of faith.

I've been a fan of trance producer and DJ Matt Darey for many years, but of late he's been putting a lot more focus on housy-style music and the "trance-rock" style of music that's been growing lately... and none of it's really got me interested at all.

I think there are some others who've done great music, but when I find out a bit more about the artist and find they're discpicable scum, it does put me off listening to their stuff. For a big name example, I've had trouble listening to Michael Jackson's stuff over the last few years.

Tori's another one who dissillusions me White Crow - she's so frustrating, for every great song on her last album there's a chorus-less dirge. I actually wonder why I keep buying her albums at all - I don't like an awful lot of what she does! It's just that once or twice every couple of years she pops out an absolute classic.

Anyway, I've ALWAYS known she's like that, so it's not like I've been suddenly turned off her.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Tori's another one who dissillusions me White Crow - she's so frustrating, for every great song on her last album there's a chorus-less dirge. I actually wonder why I keep buying her albums at all - I don't like an awful lot of what she does! It's just that once or twice every couple of years she pops out an absolute classic.

Anyway, I've ALWAYS known she's like that, so it's not like I've been suddenly turned off her.

Si.
    Reminds me of Blur. During the great Oasis vs Blur debate I used to say that Oasis songs were more samey, so if you liked one, you liked them all. Blurs Great Escape and Parklife each have about 16 songs in, but half are REALLY bad, though the good ones it has to be said are SO good.

I've heard some of Damons "Good the bad and the Queen", and again is good. But heard Damon on Radio 2 last week saying his new band havent got a name yet, although they have an album, and they aren't really a band anyway. Erm, a bit too spaced out and pretensious.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Phil Collins gets on my wick now and then for the things he says - for example his comment at the press interview for the forthcoming tour when asked if they were only reuniting for money: "We're all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from". He's being honest (for example they've not got any sponsorship for the tour and as he said a moment later, "If money was the issue, we'd be playing more than 20 shows"), but the way it sounds is so awful, a really misjudged quote that can be so easily taken out of context...
    Since Phil made his appearance in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, all of his crimes have been forgiven. Or at least, he's being considered for parole...

Pip Madeley Guest

Seeing Phil in a computer game is very strange, but rather cool too, he was very proud to be asked. The live version of In The Air Tonight they used is here on YouTube - minus jerk computer graphics - crank it up...

Wayne Guest

I fell out of love with Kylie when she started covering her ass up.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Seeing Phil in a computer game is very strange, but rather cool too, he was very proud to be asked. The live version of In The Air Tonight they used is here on YouTube - minus jerk computer graphics - crank it up...
    I find the fact that I am being asked to save Phil Collins' life in order to complete this video game is the very epitome of irony.

Pip Madeley Guest

@ Dave

I fall out with LaChis on a weekly basis.

I fell out with Gina G when she released Ti Amo and I can't remember why. I was back with her for Gimme Some Love, so it can't have been serious.

It took me ages to forgive Geraldine Estelle for leaving Spice.

And we all join in on the zig-a-zig-ah!

Madonna.

I was a huge fan, but her mid '90s output just bored me. I came back with "Ray of light" and then she fell out of my favour again. The way she used to get discussed on PS actually put me off her even morel- I can't really explain why.

But she's back in my affections, and making me dance.