Pip Madeley Guest

Default Making a Doctor Who Display

We've got a big bit of wall space at work in the junior library, currently filled by a montage of Disney characters that's been there for years. The time has come to update it, and after my Bollywood display went down alright, I've been given the go ahead to take charge of making a new one... and what else could it be but Doctor Who!

I just wondered if any of you had any ideas about what sort of stuff could go up. The area is quite large so there's space for lots of stuff. There'll be a massive version of the current logo, and a large focus on the New Series, but also I've had the idea of a timeline from 1963 to 2007, with pics of all ten Doctors (no Cushing!), his companions and various monsters - although I've got to be careful about how scary they are, as this is going in a kids library and I don't want young children screaming at the sight of Dalek Sec's human form

I'll also be putting a bit about some of the famous people the Doctor has met - for example, Shakespeare, educationally and historically interesting, it means we can stick some books about the man nearby, the kids might take them out (that'd make my bosses very happy!). We've also commandered lots of the Manchester area's Doctor Who stock for it, so we have all the New Series books and DVDs nearby. I'm also using all the old issues of DWA I have - it's got to be big, bright and busy!

Any comments, ideas etc welcome! I'll be taking pics to show you all as I get on.

I was thinking of doing a similar thing, but in a much smaller space- so i was going to do something like- If you like The Daleks (big pic) then you can borrow this and this and this featuring the Daleks and so on and so forth.

That was as far as I got with my idea.

Perhaps you could show how some of the monstesr have changed over time, like the Daleks, Cybermen and Macra?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've got some pics of 60s Daleks and Cybs already printed - and even a Macra

It's a real shame this massive DWAdventures poster is coming in three parts, it would've been the perfect centerpiece for the wall, but sadly the display can't wait a month...

I like the idea of a time-line. You could always do it Dalek heavy (kids love Daleks), for instance put the start of Doctor Who & then every time the Daleks turned up with images of the actual Dalek in that story. And where there were no Daleks in that year you could put up pic's of other monsters.

Making the years more image intensive as the new series progresses.

Oh, and the cybermen as well.

Pip Madeley Guest

Good point re: Daleks, Tim. I'm sure there'll be a fair few scattered, I may even try and build an army on the wall, hehe.

If anyone knows of any good websites with high quality Who images, bar the official website, let me know as the photos I'll be using have to be good. I've got a lot of New Series scans already, but always need more.

Good website for pics here Pip: http://drwhotht.phenominet.com/

That were we get our pics for our banners/ avatars from.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

The Tragical History Tour's a good resource (very comprehensive), but there's always millions of pop ups and spyware things on there, and half the site never works whenever I try to use it. Luckily, someone had the idea to host the pics on their own space, so I use this as an alternative, and I'd recommend you do the same!

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, I've been a busy bee at work, spending all day working on the display. The morning was taken up printing out various images and making collages, and the afternoon stint was the creation of this:

I placed a 30cm ruler above it for some scale. It's over 2.2 metres too wide, some might say.

Fantastic, is the word!

Very nice, Pip.

In addition to using historical episodes, you could put out books on each era DW was broadcast... context is important, else Barbara seems even sillier. Does your library have any DW books? Any book that gets kids to read is a good book. Avoid putting up the dalek DW books so the non-DW books get a fair shot.

I did a display at school. It was all the Target novels and a fair few posters etc..., to highlight the Doctor Who video society, that was running at my school at the time.
    I'm sure it'll look great Pip, with your artistic flair, it's bound too.

Pip Madeley Guest

Cheers Paul - here's hoping! This evening I made an A2 sized TARDIS:

We plan to put the whole display up tomorrow.

It's too wide!

But it looks good.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's done! It's finally done!

And a selection of New Series DVDs and books for borrowing...

And in more detail...

It kinda looks a bit busy in the photo, but when you're there in front of it, it all works, and has transformed the junior library - lots of kids today have been staring in amazement

Well I think it looks good.

Oh wow Pip! That's really good!

Can you send it to me when you've finished. I've got a noticeboard waiting...

Si xx

Superb work - it rightly concentrates on Who today, but there's still plenty of info on days gone by. Well done Pip!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been very topical today - I've covered the Who display with VOTE SAXON posters.

Loads of kids spotted it, some told me how excited they were to see tonight's episode

The display itself has been a great success, so much so that I've had to keep getting new stock in because as soon as we put something on the display, it goes straight back out, and the stand looks bare!

Trudi G Guest

Maybe Christian will land up being a librarian - cos he loves doing that sort of stuff!