Trudi G Guest

Default Did The Earth Move For You?

Apparently there's been a small tremor around the Kent area at around 8am, stretching as far as Essex and East Anglia.
    Anyone on this forum feel the Earth move?

No rumbles down here, but a quick for the thread title!!

Trudi G Guest

Drinking alcohol the night before makes you smart in the morning, lol

I just read the 'Breaking News' piece on this on the BBC site - one woman is claiming that her whole house slid from side to side. Surely her neighbours would have noticed if that had happened?!

Trudi G Guest

Maybe she lives in a field?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trudi G View Post
    Drinking alcohol the night before makes you smart in the morning, lol
    The only tremors i'm experiencing are because of last nights alcohol.

Trudi G Guest

Apparently it measured 4.7 on the Richter scale - which is quite sizable for a UK quake.

Size isn't everything.

I didn't feel a thing.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was trying to sleep at the time.

Lousy plate tectonics...

Given the area affected, I expect the locals thought it was just the Giant Tortoise beneath them stirring in his sleep
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

Some eyewitness accounts:

KAROL STEELE, DOVER
    Just before the earth shook there was a deep rumbling noise and the whole of our street shook in an east-west motion. The seagulls went crazy and in parts of Dover the electricity is off.
    LT COL SYDNEY CARR, DEAL
    I have experienced an earthquake in Cyprus and the tremors this morning were definitely similar, I would estimate an earthquake of about three to four.
    HENDRICK VAN ECK, CANTERBURY
    I was lying in bed and it felt as if someone had just got up from bed next to me. I then heard the sound of cracking, and it was getting heavier and heavier. It felt as if someone was at the end of my bed hopping up and down. I thought 'That must have been earthquake'. It didn't last very long, just a matter of seconds.
    RACHAEL HILL, DOVER
    I live in Dover, and have just experienced the tremors. My four-year-old son and I were getting washed and dressed. We thought it was a large vehicle passing, but then I realised it was tremors. My mother has just contacted me - she lives in Hawkinge. She experienced it as well and they have lost all power. It was a shocking experience and has frightened my son.
    PAUL RICKARD, DOVER
    Our whole house shook for between six and 10 seconds. I thought the roof was coming down. It was only when we went outside and saw everyone looking out or standing in the street that we realised it was a bigger event.
    LISA RIDGWELL, WHITFIELD, DOVER
    I experienced the earth tremor in Kent this morning. It happened around 08.15. I was in bed - there was a really weird noise and the house started swaying which started slowly but intensified for a second or so then stopped. It lasted around six seconds. I live near a popular area for dog walkers and no-one is about, everyone seems to be staying indoors wondering if there will be another one.
    KEITH CRUSH, DOVER
    I sort of woke up thinking 'Have I woken up? Am I dreaming?' But the wardrobe doors were banging and sort of shaking and the bed actually felt like it was moving. My initial thoughts were, bearing in mind that we have mining tunnels running under this part of Kent, that something had happened and that we had experienced something from that.
    BEN MACPHEE, CANTERBURY
    I was woken up by the bed shaking, my first thought was 'this feels like an earthquake' but then I thought 'this is Kent, we don't get earthquakes'. Apparently we do.
    WILL MAIDMENT, DEAL
    I felt our whole flat sway from side to side and it lasted about five to 10 seconds, so I got up quick while it was still swaying. I thought the place was falling down and looked out my lounge window and could see the aerial on the house opposite shaking. Also the top of the lamppost was swaying slightly.
    KAREN KONDO, MINSTER NEAR RAMSGATE
    I lived in Japan for seven years and experienced many earthquakes. This morning definitely felt like one. It was an eerie shaking from side to side lasting several seconds.
    *Pip sniggers*

The British Geological Survey (BGS) had revised its estimates down from a magnitude of 4.7 to 4.3, with an epicentre 7.5 miles off the Dover coast. There are no reports of fatalities, but one woman in her thirties was taken to hospital in Ashford, suffering from minor head injury and neck pain.

EDF Energy has restored electricity to most of the several thousand homes left without power in the Folkestone and Dover area. Scottish and Southern Energy, which supplies gas to the area, is investigating 300 "possible gas escapes".

That's about the same time I woke up when Aidan started to cry. I'm not too far away from Dover really, I wonder if that's what shook the wee tyke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Scottish and Southern Energy, which supplies gas to the area, is investigating 300 "possible gas escapes".
    Turns out that all but one of them was down to the local Co-Op selling Pickled onions cheap.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was waiting for someone to make a joke about that one, I'm glad it was you Tim