Trudi G Guest

Default You Know You're Over 30 When...

1. You leave clubs before the end to 'beat the rush'. (worst still you don't go to the clubs)

2. You get more excited about having a roast on a Sunday than going clubbing the night before.

3. You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer / basketball player and start dreaming of having a son who might instead.

4. Before throwing the local paper away, you look through the property section.

5. All of a sudden, middle aged people are not 46, they are only 46.

6. Before going out anywhere, you ask whether there is anywhere to park.

7. Rather than throw a knackered pair of trainers out, you keep them because they'll be alright for the DIY or in the garden.

8. You buy T-shirts without anything written on them.

9. Instead of laughing at the innovations catalogue that falls out of the newspaper, you suddenly see both the benefit and money saving properties of most of the things that are in it.

10. You start to worry about your parents' health.

11. You have more disposable income, but everything you want or need to buy costs between 200 and 500 quid.

12. You don't get funny looks when you buy a Disney video or a Wallace And Gromit bubble bath, as the sales assistant assumes they are for your children.

13. Pop music all starts to sound the same.

14. You opt for Pizza Express over Pizza Hut because they do a really nice half-bottle of house red.

15. You always have enough milk in.

16. To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing, you instead frequent trendy bars and restaurants in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents.

17. While flicking through the TV channels, you happen upon C4's Time Team with Tony Robinson. You get drawn in. Grand Designs also appeals.

18. The benefits of a pension scheme become clear.

19. You go out of your way to pick up a colour chart from B&Q.

20. You wish you had a shed.

21. You have a shed.

22. You actually find yourself saying 'They don't make 'em like that anymore' and 'I remember when there were only 4 TV channels' and 'Not in my day....'

23. Radio 2 play more songs you know than Radio 1 - and Jeremy Vine has some really interesting guests on.

24. Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, You tut at rowdy school children.

25. When sitting outside a pub you admire their hanging baskets.

26. You find yourself saying 'is it cold in here or is it just me?'

Pip Madeley Guest

2. You get more excited about having a roast on a Sunday than going clubbing the night before.

7. Rather than throw a knackered pair of trainers out, you keep them because they'll be alright for the DIY or in the garden.

11. You have more disposable income, but everything you want or need to buy costs between 200 and 500 quid.

12. You don't get funny looks when you buy a Disney video or a Wallace And Gromit bubble bath, as the sales assistant assumes they are for your children.

22. You actually find yourself saying 'They don't make 'em like that anymore'

23. Radio 2 play more songs you know than Radio 1 - and Jeremy Vine has some really interesting guests on.

24. Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, You tut at rowdy school children.

All those must mean I'm old before my time.

According to that list I've been over 30 since I was 17. ....

Captain Tancredi Guest

1. You leave clubs before the end to 'beat the rush'. (worst still you don't go to the clubs)

-I went to a club just over a year ago and there are people on this board who can confirm it.

-Haven't had a Sunday roast in a year either.

3. You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer / basketball player and start dreaming of having a son who might instead.

-I stopped dreaming of becoming a professional footballer when I was about eight.

4. Before throwing the local paper away, you look through the property section.

-I'm years away from having to care about property around here.

5. All of a sudden, middle aged people are not 46, they are only 46.

-Don't think I know anybody who's 46.

6. Before going out anywhere, you ask whether there is anywhere to park.

-I don't have to worry about that.

-My knackered trainers have been around the world so they have sentimental value even if they're falling to bits.

-I halfheartedly collect Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts, so that's a no too.

9. Instead of laughing at the innovations catalogue that falls out of the newspaper, you suddenly see both the benefit and money saving properties of most of the things that are in it.

-Stopped buying papers a while back.

-Only in so far as I worry about them living too long. I need that house.

-Thanks to redundancy my salary is only just what it was five years ago.

-Never noticed any reaction when buying Who-related stuff, so can't really say one way or the other.

-I've only started taking an interest in the last six months so how would I know?

14. You opt for Pizza Express over Pizza Hut because they do a really nice half-bottle of house red.

-Why would I do that when I can get Pizza Express pizzas in my local Waitrose? Stuffed crusts every time.

-Only because I went to Netto about half an hour before it closed today.

16. To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing, you instead frequent trendy bars and restaurants in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents.

-I live in a small market town in the Yorkshire Dales. A trendy bar is one which has scrapers to get the sheep muck off your shoes.

17. While flicking through the TV channels, you happen upon C4's Time Team with Tony Robinson. You get drawn in. Grand Designs also appeals.

-That's because Time Team is a good idea and history is interesting.

-As does the fact that 5% of my salary is going into one.

19. You go out of your way to pick up a colour chart from B&Q.

-I don't know if there's a B&Q within ten miles of here.

20. You wish you had a shed.

-I live in a first floor flat. What would I do with a shed?

21. You have a shed.

-Again, still living in a first floor flat.

22. You actually find yourself saying 'They don't make 'em like that anymore' and 'I remember when there were only 4 TV channels' and 'Not in my day....'

-I remember when there were only 3 TV channels.

-Are Radios 1 and 2 up or down the dial from Classic FM?

-I tut at old people, rowdy school children, people who insist on paying cash fares rather than getting a pass...everybody basically.

-When sitting outside a pub I concentrate on my drink.

-I live alone so if it is cold in here, it is just me.

- I've never been to a club anyway.

- Hell, yes. See above.

- That's how I've always prefered them.

- Strangely, yes.

- I do like To Buy Or Not To Buy.

- I tut at both.

Wayne Guest

For God's sake Don't start an 'Over 40' version!

You're as old as the man you feel.

Dave Lewis Guest

Only one of those things applies to me, and I really wish it didn't. Or there was no reason for it to apply. Or something.

However, there is one more that could possibly apply... if I ever used a bus, I wouldn't be tutting at old people and kids, I'd be swearing about them at a volume level that I thought was discrete, a volume level that I would later establish was TOO ****ING LOUD.

27. You watch New Tricks every week and think Amanda Redman is worth a pop.*

* that'll probably only apply to me and Dave Tudor

28. You were born thirty years or more ago.

this thread reminds me of some Lenny Henry, once said about getting old or reaching middle age and your a bloke it was some thing like..

" you know your getting old when you see a skimpy dressed girl walking down the street and instead of saying core she looks sexy your instead thinking dose your mother know your dressed like that".

mmm Amanda Redman
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having