Thread: Talisman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talisman

We played the Talisman game with Jonno this weekend and thorougly enjoyed it - it was great fun!

I've written all about it on my Weblog - HERE!

Who else has played this game?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Many an afternoon was lost playing this with my sister. Its excellent. I'd love to play it again. I'm sure there were some good expansion packs for the game too. They also did a Dracula game which was cool. The perso playing Dracula moved around in secret!

And an Orc card game called Chaos Marauders which was great daft fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Many an afternoon was lost playing this with my sister.
    I'm sure that's not quite what it seems...

Its entirely what it seems, you naughty man!

WhiteCrow Guest

It's a fantastic game - can't believe there's nothing quite like it out these days.

I've still got Talisman, though nowadays I have nobody to play it with. I always wanted to get some of the expansions, but never seemed to get round to it. It's still quite easily available on ebay if you want a copy.

The Dungeon expansion was quite good. It was more of a distraction really as it had no effect on the outcome of the game.
    Maybe we should all get together and have a game!

I bought Talisman in December 1985 and then expanded it with various expansions over the next half a dozen years - the new actual boards being the Dungeon first, then Timescape (giving it a sci-fi slant) and finally the City. The problem with that being that it became rather unwieldy to try and play with all of them!

I used to play it regularly at that time, it was a real favourite amongst my group of friends and some of us would even sneak off while in the sixth form (mainly during free periods) and play it round one of our's house!

I'm really pleased that Steve in particular enjoyed it - I think you tend to be a little nervous when showing off something you love to someone else and hoping they'll like it too! Although it was a long game, it absolutely flew by as far as I was concerned, and with bottles of beer being consumed and good music in the background, it was just so darned sociable!

Steve - if you are thinking of buying it, is it not worth waiting a few months for this brand new edition?

And Paul, all these years of knowing you and not knowing you liked it too! A game together is a must - I did say to Si and Steve that 4 is probably the optimum number!

It was more of a distraction really as it had no effect on the outcome of the game.
    Uh-uh. When you get to the middle, if you manage to roll a 6, you go straight to the Crown of Command - meaning you could get there even without needing to have a Talisman! There's also an object you can get which improves your die roll by 1, i.e. a 5 or 6 would get you straight there. Some sort of map I think.

It's still quite easily available on ebay if you want a copy.
    Fairly easily - I finally won a copy last night for the untalismanic sum of 25 quid! That was after 3 copies of the game were sniped from under my nose (I hate that about Ebay. Why can't they extend it so it doesn't close until 5 minutes after the last bid? With each bid that comes in at the end, it gets extended by 5 mins. That way it would discourage sniping and ensure a fair price. /Rant)

Anyhoo, I'm sending the money today so hopefully a copy will be arriving with us soon.

Steve - if you are thinking of buying it, is it not worth waiting a few months for this brand new edition?
    Damn your Vulcan logic, Spock!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And Paul, all these years of knowing you and not knowing you liked it too! A game together is a must - I did say to Si and Steve that 4 is probably the optimum number!
    Excellent. No I am an ex-RPGer and Talisman was a natural progression from the Fighting Fantasy books and a great stopping off point for RPG's proper.

Uh-uh. When you get to the middle, if you manage to roll a 6, you go straight to the Crown of Command - meaning you could get there even without needing to have a Talisman! There's also an object you can get which improves your die roll by 1, i.e. a 5 or 6 would get you straight there. Some sort of map I think.
    Fair enough! My memory was a bit flaky on the subject!

I take it this was something between D&D and War Hammer.
    I got a Hero Quest game in about '86/87 & that was similar to those in that you have a board with characters & cards & five dice. Each die had either attack or shield symbols.

Hero Quest has a lot to answer for. It led on to Space Crusade and the slightly more obscure 'Advanced Heroquest' and 'Advanced Space Crusade' - but that's a topic for another thread, I reckons!

Talisman add ons are fetching obscene prices on Ebay.

City Expansion - 40+

Dragons Expansion - 50+

I didn't like Heroquest at all.

Checked yesterday, and my sister still has our copy of Talisman. She reckons its in our parents loft so I might be able to dig it out sometime.

Excellent. No I am an ex-RPGer and Talisman was a natural progression from the Fighting Fantasy books and a great stopping off point for RPG's proper.
    That's pretty much the same as with me. The Fighting Fantsy books got me into the idea of RPG's and Talisman made for a more enjoyable social experience when playing. Then the RPG's themselves came up. I've still got a lot of RPG stuff now, but again, there's nobody to play.

I've still got a lot of RPG stuff now, but again, there's nobody to play.
    Same here! I recently sold some of mine off and got a good price on ebay but I've still got Call of Cthulthu and the Star Trek rpg.

The Fighting Fantsy books got me into the idea of RPG's
    There was an RPG version of fighting Fantasy wasn't there? I remember buying the book and being so excited by it. Its was like "a fighting fantasy book without numbers and an infinite number of choices!"
    It was the most amazing concept ever at the time.

Same here! I recently sold some of mine off and got a good price on ebay but I've still got Call of Cthulthu and the Star Trek rpg.
    I've still got the Call of Cthulhu book, and loads of ad&d 2nd edition. I've also got the GURPS Discworld book somewhere too.

There was an RPG version of fighting Fantasy wasn't there? I remember buying the book and being so excited by it. Its was like "a fighting fantasy book without numbers and an infinite number of choices!"
    It was the most amazing concept ever at the time.
    I remember seeing it, but never got it. I do remember a newbie DM turning City of Thieves into an ad&d game and me remaining silent on the fact I'd completed the FF book and remembered how to get through it.

I love Talisman. Original editions and expansions go for big bucks on eBay and places like Noble Knight; to get a fully expanded set could end up costing you $300, if not more. I bought the 3rd edition re-release a couple years back, and I wish they would release some expansions for it, maybe they did and I just never found out?
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

If I remember correctly, I skipped a total of four classes in a row to play Talisman. Then my friends made me go to the next one, but I was all twitchy.

Talisman pwns all other board games, video games, and all games in the future. It is the game of all games. Satan would tempt me mightily with Talisman.

Alas, but my friend who owned a copy moved. I haven't played it in so long and no one around me plays board games, just those conflabbed "video" games. So even if I did shell out the money to get it, I would only get to play it with myself.

Put your Ebay money away, Mr.Alexander!

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=new_version_of_talisman

Having been introduced to Talisman @ Jonno's I'm quite keen to play it.
    I'm still a fan of Hero Quest & dug it out of the loft on the back of the chat Jonno & I had about it. Also found the 3 expansion packs I have. Also discovered I have Advanced Hero Quest...Why don't I remember that!?
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 3rd Dec 2010 at 6:56 PM.

Ah! Another one!

At this rate we may organise another games night before 2012!

Jonno did suggest early next year at his place. Shhh

I can't believe you forgot Advanced Hero Quest! That was the game that got me into Warhammer proper. And those cheeky Skaven!