Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Invasion - Sales Info

Info from the front line on sales for this release - which would seem to be the indicator for future animated releases - is "good but unspectacular".

It sold less than "Genesis of the Daleks" in its first week by a few thousand, that story of course being in colour, complete and with Tom Baker and Daleks in!

However, it did do very well indeed when compared against other black and white releases, trumping all of them for first week sales.

Make of this what you will!

Si.

Apparently it is out but not in jockland, because i couldn't find it in Virgin, HMV or WH Smiths.

Do i really ahve to bloody shop online, and support no ones jobs?

I don't believe in miracles, how long does a dream come true?

Mine was sent from Amazonia, but is being passed onto my grandma to give me back for Christmas.

It's a good story!

I bought this three weeks ago but promised a friend we would watch it together. The strain of not watching the new episodes is starting to show....

It's sold about 20,000 copies so far, hasn't it? That includes 15,000 copies bought by one fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Info from the front line on sales for this release - which would seem to be the indicator for future animated releases - is "good but unspectacular".

It sold less than "Genesis of the Daleks" in its first week by a few thousand, that story of course being in colour, complete and with Tom Baker and Daleks in!

However, it did do very well indeed when compared against other black and white releases, trumping all of them for first week sales.

Make of this what you will!

Si.

not really that supprised I don't know what the average sales number of each individual DVD release was but I certainly was not expecting Invasion to do much better than most releases. I certainly don't think it not selling as well as some other releases will have any effect on weather there are any more animated episodes done as the BBC know the old B/W's don't sell as well as colour.

Apparently sales for each individual DVD eventually levelled out at one per copy, after a brief spike when someone accidentally paid twice due to a Woolworths shop assistant not paying attention.

Si.

I must say, I'm amazed that this one hasn't done better. I was hoping it'd do so well that tons of missing stuff would get the animation treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I must say, I'm amazed that this one hasn't done better. I was hoping it'd do so well that tons of missing stuff would get the animation treatment.

To be honest i'm not that supprised as i've all ready said b/w episodes don't sell as well as colour also not every body would of been aware that there were two episodes animated. I think to get a fare idea of how well it did you should be comparing it to the sales of other Hartnell/Troughton stories and not those of Pertwee/Baker. So in that respect I suspect that Invasion did reasonably well.

It's done well, but not well enough to make more animations cost-effective imo. It was always going to do well, being released in the xmas gift buying season, having more ads than usual (plus lots of press features), and featuring the Cybermen (who were in the new series this year). Yes, it's sold more first week than 'The Beginning' (pricey box released in cash-strapped january), and 'Web Planet, but it appears to only really be following the upward trend of sales experienced by the range as a whole. We shall see.

It's just a bit of a shame that Ian Levine has got a lot of people's hopes up with his bizarre statements.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    It's just a bit of a shame that Ian Levine has got a lot of people's hopes up with his bizarre statements.....
    What's he been saying now? Not "I can have them all animated by 2012" bo!locks?

Saying that if sales of The Invasion were 30,000, then Power Of The Daleks would be animated for next year.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Well I'd like to see that happen but to be honest it won't. There are far too many 'near complete' stories to be done first. As much as some people don't like it, Tenth Planet will come before a 'completely' animated story.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 24th Nov 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Saying that if sales of The Invasion were 30,000, then Power Of The Daleks would be animated for next year.
    Surely now he'll just get a genius friend to animate them, send them to 2|entertain and then throw a tantrum when they're politely rejected?
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

But surely no one listens to La Levine?
    Last edited by Pamela; 24th Nov 2006 at 1:52 PM.

has an individual Doctor Who DVD release ever sold even 10,000 copies let aloan 30,000 - what a total muppet Levine is he claims to know so much inside info but just seems most of the time to be full of hot air..

Pip Madeley Guest

just seems most of the time to be full of hot air..
    And pie.

Steak & Ale or Kate and Sidney?

what I would give to have all the missing episodes animated like these ones. Dose anyone know how much it money it takes to animate one episode?

-Andy
    Last edited by Andy Mateen; 24th Nov 2006 at 7:47 PM.
    Foolish humans

I wonder how much it would take to animate one in the same style and quality as The Polar Express..

I wonder how much it would take to animate one in the same style and quality as The Polar Express..
    They'd have to work hard at it.

For fourteen and a half... million years!

I don't reckon we'll see much more animation until they really start running out of Troughton DVD releases. Though I'd say it was even odds whether an animated Power of The Daleks turned up before The Sensorites.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    has an individual Doctor Who DVD release ever sold even 10,000 copies let aloan 30,000..
    Not in a week, but many of the range are definitely past the 25,000 mark. 30,000 would quite probably be it's forecasted sales over it's first year, but where IL got this figure from for green-lighting more animations is anyone's guess.

have to say I'me supprised that individual sales have reached the 25,000 mark for some reason i'd all ways assumed they were only on average around the 8000 to 9000 mark.

but just out of interest dose it cost more to animated an episode or re-colour one of the Perwee b/w;s.

It would be nice to see more animated episodes, but I think a whole missing story being done is highly unlikely myself, however popular Power of the Daleks would be as a release. I would think The Tenth Planet or The Moonbase would be more likely - and I have to say I'd like to see the animated version of the bog-brush headgear the Moonbasers wore!!
    If they were going to do a whole animated story, I suppose a Dalek one would be top bet, but how about if they did one like Fury from the Deep?

Joe

I think whole animated stories are also unlikely at this stage.

What makes the animated episodes of the The Invasion so successful is that there is so much other material from the remaining six episodes to draw on, and in some cases to directly use as the basis for certain scenes. They also successfully emulated Douglas Camfield style of direction from looking at the surrounding epsisodes.

There isn't nearly as much detail to be gleaned from telesnaps, though I appreciate that it wouldn't be quite so important to recapture the original style of visual direction as there's very little existing material for it to jar against.