Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Time-Flight/ Arc of Infinity Out Now!

The RT have confirmed the release of Time Flight and Arc of Infinity this summer:

This release is a mini-boxset release of the consecutive (albeit season-spanning!) Fifth Doctor stories 'Time-Flight' and 'Arc of Infinity', thematically linked by Janet Fielding's character, Tegan, who is left on Earth at the end of the former and re-united with the TARDIS crew in the latter. Although one of the less obvious story pairings, it is part of the push to try to get more product out to the viewer, and both stories contain some very interesting extras specially brought together for this DVD release.

Time-Flight includes the following special features:-

A commentary with actors Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and script editor Eric Saward.

Richard Molesworth has produced Mouth on Legs (dur. 13' 36"), our first ever on-screen interview with Janet Fielding, in which she talks about her time on the show.

A Deleted and Extended Scenes package (dur. 3' 46") is included, taken from both broadcast quality and timecoded viewing copies of the studio recordings and early edits.

Jurassic Larks (dur. 19' 33") - behind-the-scenes action from the studio recording sessions, put together by Richard Bignell.

Out-takes (dur. 13' 52") - a collection of humorous fluffs and technical gaffs from the story's production.

From Keith Barnfather's extensive collection of interviews produced for his Mythmakers video releases comes this Peter Grimwade interview from 1987, in which the late writer / director talks to Nick Briggs about his writing work on this story.

As always, there's a photo gallery, 'Coming Soon' trailer and production information subtitles, along with the 1983 Doctor Who Annual and Radio Times listings in pdf form.

Arc of Infinity boasts an even wider variety of features:-

The commentary features actors Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and Colin Baker.

Keith Barnfather has produced Anti-Matter from Amsterdam (dur. 34' 55") a new documentary which looks at the making of Arc of Infinity. Featuring actors Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sarah Sutton, Ian Collier, Paul Jerricho and Alistair Cumming, along with script editor Eric Saward, with writer Johnny Byrne and narrator Sophie Aldred filmed on-location in Amsterdam.

Keith has also produced The Omega Factor (dur 14' 55") in which writers and actors involved in the various Omega stories look at the character and motivations of the renegade Time Lord. Featuring co-creator Bob Baker, writer Johnny Byrne, actors Stephen Thorne and Ian Collier, and writer Nev Fountain, who continued Omega's story in an audio play from Big Finish.

A Deleted Scenes package (dur. 2' 54") is taken from a timecoded viewing copy of an early edit of the last episode.

Under Arc Lights (dur. 11' 30") goes behind-the-scenes in the studio courtesy of timecoded viewing copies of some of the studio recording sessions. Both of these features were put together from tapes given to Ian Levine by the story's director, Ron Jones.

John Kelly has produced a CGI Effects option, giving the viewer the option to watch the story with eighteen of the original video effects sequences replaced by new CGI versions. You can also choose to watch the story with isolated music.

A BBC1 trailer and continuity announcements are included, along with the usual photo gallery, 'Coming Soon' trailer and production information subtitles. For completeness, the 1983 Doctor Who Annual and Radio Times listings are included.

Release is slated for Aug 6th.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well we all knew it was, they just 'couldn't' tell us until the were 'allowed' to.

Nice extras though. Time to Pre-order.

oh joy I just can't beging to tell you how excited I am at this release.

I'm intrigued by the new CGI for "Arc..." Are there 18 effects shots in the whole thing? There's the initial attempt to bond, the shooting of the Doctor (agreed, that one's naff, the perspective looks all off), and the execution at the end of part 2. What else?

Pip Madeley Guest

Looks like a good set, I'm really looking forward to hearing the Arc commentary

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm intrigued by the new CGI for "Arc..." Are there 18 effects shots in the whole thing? There's the initial attempt to bond, the shooting of the Doctor (agreed, that one's naff, the perspective looks all off), and the execution at the end of part 2. What else?
    Maybe they plan to do something about the Matrix sequences, which look like Omega and the Doctor are floating about in an embarassing 80's disco.
    Bazinga !

Ah yes, there is that.

Wayne Guest

I won't be buying it.

I wish it had been the Black Guardian stories, instead. Especially 'Terminus' & 'Enlightenment'. That i would buy!

The arc commentary should be fun!
    It's the only way there ever going to get me to buy Time Flight anyway!

Best release of the year so far! Two stories I really quite guiltily enjoy (I've always adored Time-Flight for reasons I've never grasped) with a rather decent set of extras and two commentaries that sound like they might be a ... what was it... ah yes, a "hoot". Splendid.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

Oh well. Not seen these for a while and "Arc" is ok in places. Good extras and hoorah for a Janet Clare Fielding interview.

Better than a queef in the face.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Secretive Bus View Post
    I've always adored Time-Flight for reasons I've never grasped
    For me, it's the red hot TARDIS hop action throughout, I'm sure Mr Clancy will concur

Just so long as it's not called 'Tegan Tales' (sorry, I just think that that's a really crap title!).

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Just so long as it's not called 'Tegan Tales' (sorry, I just think that that's a really crap title!).
    How about Tegan's Box?

I think "Tegan's Tales" has been dropped as a title...

...in favour of "Tegan's Lovely Pair".

>ahem< Anyway, I really like "Arc of Infinity" and the first fifteen minutes of "Timeflight" is excellent, so all in all it'll be quite a good release I think.

Such filth!

'Arc Of Infinity' is quite a fun story, and not as bad as some make out (although the Ergon is indeed terrible), but I can't really comment on 'Time-Flight' as I've only ever seen it once since its original broadcast. When it originally came out on video, I got it some time later for 3, and still didn't watch it for about two years! Perhaps it's time for a re-appraisal...

Hoorah for a Janet Fielding interview at last!

And Peter and Colin on the same commentary?? It's a fanboy's dream!!

My idol looks forward to its release, but is also planning ahead for 'Snakedance':

Quote Originally Posted by Milky's Awesome Idol
    'Snakedance' should be released with 'Kinda', awesome arc/dualoogy

dualoogy
    What an awesome made-up word.

Time Flight is rubbish but Arc of Infinity is a good Davison story, one of his best.

Captain Tancredi Guest

There's just enough in that package to make me interested- I suspect it won't be long before I find myself cutting back to the releases with decent extras.

Steve Roberts has posted a short clip of some of the new effects for Arc of Infinity over on the RT forum:

http://www.rtforum.co.uk/read.php?id=194058

Looks mighty impressive!

Pip Madeley Guest

Now we get to see the airman from 'Allo 'Allo get shot in a cooler way

I liked the final effect best.

Although new effects wouldn't sway me to buy anything, credit where it's due - the new 'glowing' laser gun effect is very good in those clips, especially the one of gun-totin' Nyssa blasting down the Chancellery guard.

Oh, and I'm humbled to see my appalling "Tegan's Pair" gag has made the front page - thanks Pip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Time Flight is rubbish but Arc of Infinity is a good Davison story, one of his best.
    not sure I'd agree with you on that one.