Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default It's the Sweeney Todd

Thanks to the Waynester I had a chance to check out Regan & Carter of the Flying Squad and after 30 years realised why it's called "The Sweeney"

This opening episode of S1 has shouter Brian Blessed actually suprisingly restrained as the head of a crime gang. Dot Cotton puts in an appearance too playing pretty much her East Enders character but 30 years younger.

So far DI Regan seems much nicer than DCI Hunt - no one's been given a good duffing up yet but he did declare the immortal line "we're the Sweeney and we haven't had our dinner". No "Shut it" yet. It's been quickly established that DI Regan has a colleague that coinsiders him undisciplined and a bad influence on DS Carter. Oh and Reuben from Horror of Fang Rock has appeared as Regan's boss who's already threatened him so things are shaping up nicely

I loved the Sweeney when I used to watch it, I haven't seen an episode in more than...10 years!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    This opening episode of S1 has shouter Brian Blessed actually suprisingly restrained as the head of a crime gang.
    That surprised me when i saw it, too. I think it's one of his better roles because of it. As a villian, he's more menacing when he's not shouting!

No "Shut it" yet.

things are shaping up nicely
    A bit like Kirk never actually said: 'Beam Me up Scotty', the 'Shut it' thing is also a bit of a myth. He does say it, but only once, as i recall.
    Glad you see some promise in it, although better eps are to come. I love the 'dinner' line, though.

I did think it was a luke warm start Wayne - I'm pretty sure The Sweeney's reputation was built on stronger stuff than this first episode. Oh and I noticed Regan makes's his first appearance in his girlfriend's nighty

Wayne Guest

There are some great eps throughout it's 4 seasons, but S4 is probably the most consistent.
    Even the semi-comic 'Morcambe & Wise' ep is great!
    My favourite Regan speech ever is in the very last ep, which is one of my favourites.

Pip Madeley Guest

I watched a few episodes of the Sweeney the other week, including one where Alf Garnett dressed up as a woman... the one I enjoyed the most though was where their driver's wife was kidnapped. Great stuff.

Wayne Guest

When i was at school, we all watched 'The Sweeney'. But it's the later eps i remember most because as i got older i was allowed to stay up late enough to watch it.
    It was considered controvertial back in the day, for the use of the word 'Bastard' from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I watched a few episodes of the Sweeney the other week, including one where Alf Garnett dressed up as a woman...
    I don't think he'd make for a very attractive Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It was considered controversial back in the day, for the use of the word 'Bastard' from time to time.
    Which is why I didn't get to see it with my old man in the force

The channel always got switched over when Z Cars and the Sweeney was on... bl**dy parents

Wayne Guest

So you had to make do with 'Dixon of Dock Green' then did you, Ralph?

It was only British cop shows he couldn't be arsed with...even Dixon of Dock Green

Kojak, Ironside, MacMillian & Wife, Columbo, Starsky and Hutch were OK because they weren't connected in the public's mind with real policing

Wayne Guest

I remember all those, too. Not forgetting: 'Cannon'.
    I never liked 'Ironside' much, & 'MacMillan & Wife' was a bit lame, but it was on a Sunday night, & it was any excuse to stay up a bit longer before Monday morning shcool.
    I liked Kojak, Columbo & S & H, though.

Pip Madeley Guest

My sister absolutely loves Columbo, she's probably spent weeks of her life watching it

I remember all those, too. Not forgetting: 'Cannon'.
    I never liked 'Ironside' much, & 'MacMillan & Wife' was a bit lame, but it was on a Sunday night, & it was any excuse to stay up a bit longer before Monday morning shcool.
    I liked Kojak, Columbo & S & H, though.
    Oh yeah Frank Cannon - he was about 20 stone and always seemed to be unrealistically running everwhere... and the streets always looked clean and tidy too - Kojak showed slums and the like and seemed more real therefore at the time. Oh and Hawaii Five-O in the early 70s was Ok too - book em Danno! Well the music was good!

Wayne Guest

My sister absolutely loves Columbo, she's probably spent weeks of her life watching it
    You gotta love his car!

You'd like the one that Shatner guest stars in.

Wayne Guest

Oh and Hawaii Five-O in the early 70s was Ok too - book em Danno! Well the music was good!
    Yeah, Hawaii Five-O was one those you only watched when there was nothing else on.
    God, i was a bloody telly addict even back then!

Columbo seems to have been on forever - Peter Falk's been playing that part since the late 60s and I'm not sure if he still does....oh and just another thing just before I go... he's been wearing that same raincoat for about 40 years now...

Pip Madeley Guest

You'd like the one that Shatner guest stars in.
    With the pencil moustache that keeps changing a different shade of grey from scene to scene?

Yeah, I liked that one

Columbo's looking old:

Don't ask me what's going on with that shirt.

Wayne Guest

With the pencil moustache that keeps changing a different shade of grey from scene to scene?

Yeah, I liked that one
    Actually, i think he did more than one. I remember one where he played an pompous actor, (perhaps the part was written specially for him) & wore a white hat.

Actually, i think he did more than one. I remember one where he played an pompous actor, (perhaps the part was written specially for him) & wore a white hat.
    Yes I think I've seen two as well and doesn't Nimoy do one too? If you like your Shat pompous Wayne you'd love Boston Legal

Wayne Guest

If you like your Shat pompous
    I don't, particularly....... I just remember that Columbo ep. You won't get me watching Shatner in anything recent.

Finished S1 yesterday. It was much tamer than I expected but had a few good episodes towards the end.

Watched the first couple of eps of S2 tonight. Now this more like it! The show's definitely moved up a gear from the sedated S1. More violence and sex yay!!! Regan looks the biz now, properly mean at last!!!

and doesn't Nimoy do one too?
    The one with Spock as the heart surgeon is one of my all time favourite Columbos, given that he only catches him out 5 seconds before the end credits

US cop shows in the 70s and 80s were always going to win out over British ones for me (except of course TJ Hooker ) - how long did we have to put up with crap like Juliet Bravo, and the Gentle Touch?

I'm loving getting reacquainted with Old Original Taggart though
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I'm loving getting reacquainted with Old Original Taggart though
    I can't be arsed with Inspectur Taggurrrt....

I can't be arsed with Inspectur Taggurrrt....
    Taggart bored me senseless from day one, and nothing's has changed since!

There's been a muuurrrduuurrr!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!