Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coming Back to Life Before our Eyes? Again?!!

Not quite sure where else to post this. All I can say is, "It surely can't be true... Can it?!"

A link: click me, click me

And, in full:
    Were you a big fan of Paul McGann and his trip to San Francisco in the Tardis back in 1996?
    Well, now that interest has once again been reignited in the "Doctor Who" franchise thanks to the popular BBC series starring David Tennant and Freema Agyeman, there is word now that BBC is planning to do a new "Doctor Who" movie featuring not Tennant as the Tenth Doctor, or even Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor. Empire Online is reporting that BBC and director Geoffrey Sax want to continue the story of McGann's Eighth Doctor in a way to separate it from the popular television franchise.

"Because of the demand for Eighth Doctor stories on film, due to the popular Big Finish audios and BBC7 Radio audios made specifically for those productions, a film is finally in negotiations," Empire reported, courtesy of Crave Online. "There are still many things to finalize, such as if Paul McGann is interested in portraying The Doctor on film again. The Tardis interior from the 1996 TV movie [was] auctioned off back in 1999, but they plan on recreating the same interior from the TV movie, which is a popular design."

If such a film is made, it will be without popular bad guys like the Daleks, Cybermen or even The Master, who was featured in the first film. Instead, it will focus on a new alien species, and instead of traveling to the United States, would instead be on Earth for just a few minutes before heading to three different alien worlds.

It is unclear how true this rumor is, since it has not been independently corroborated by SyFy Portal. But Empire does say it could have a decent $85 million budget.

The script apparently was first drafted in 1999, and has been updated several times since then. It could possibly be the start of a series of films featuring a Doctor unlike the ones portrayed in the 21st Century version of the show.

It's not going to happen though, is it? There can't really be THAT much demand for more Paul McGann stories... It's one of those where I'll believe it when I see it.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Because the original movie was such a success, of course...it's not unlike the Buffy situation, where the film failed but the concept found its feet as a 45-minute drama with ongoing storylines. Part of the uniqueness of Who is its ability to move on completely from one situation to the next between adventures, and I don't really see how a film can replicate that.

Oh my.
    I can't see it happening- after all how many rumours similar to this have their been down the years? Still, it might be nice...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It would be nice if it happened, if for no other reason than to be able to judge McGann in the role of the Doctor better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

No chance! This is clearly a transmission from planet bullsh**.

With all the rumours flying about at the moment, I reckon the Doctor Who team are trying to track down another mole.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well, I did predict that any movie would star McGann a long time ago (somewhere on the old PS), but really, this bit is the giveaway.......
    But Empire does say it could have a decent $85 million budget
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It could work! Get him back!

Si.

Maybe they could do a film about The Time War.

Si xx

Quiet you.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'd love this to be true but I can't help but remember all the 'other' films that were supposed to be 'in negotiations' & never came to anything but to be honest the idea is a perfectly sound one.

I'd guess that Paul McGann would definitely be up for the role, he's very enthusiastic in his Big Finish interviews & I'm sure he'd like the pay.

Pip Madeley Guest

Because of the demand for Eighth Doctor stories on film, due to the popular Big Finish audios and BBC7 Radio audios made specifically for those productions, a film is finally in negotiations
    I think they're overestimating the demand.

Well we have no way of knowing do we. How many people listened to the Paul McGann stories that were on the radio & how many bought the Cd's? I don't know but someone must have thought there was a high enough demand for the BBC to put the plays out in the first place.

McGann raped my wig lovin' childhood!

Would he wear a wig?

transvamp Guest

I'll actually be looking forward to this if it ever materialises. Especially if he still has India Fisher by his side.

I'd gladly watch this over the Tennant version.

While I frown on the implication, I have to agree with Pip's post. If someone wasn't being wildly over-optimistic in basing the demand for a feature film on some Big Finish audios, then Jason Haigh-Ellery would have a much more expensive car.

Si.

They might well be popular and in demand on the BBC 7 where you can hear them for free, but buying them might be another matter altogether.

Si xx

Sounds like rubbish to me - are the BBC really going to make a movie with a Doctor who's not Tennant (or whoever the current incumbent is)? Given how quickly REG was written out of Doctor Who history (despite being touted as the Official Ninth Doctor) I can't see them rushing back to have a McGann movie and risk brand confusion.

The only reason the BBC might do a movie with McGann would be for a time War movie, however this report suggests there will be no Time War, and just a jolly (but expensive) adventure in Time and Space.
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Sounds like rubbish to me - are the BBC really going to make a movie with a Doctor who's not Tennant (or whoever the current incumbent is)? Given how quickly REG was written out of Doctor Who history (despite being touted as the Official Ninth Doctor) I can't see them rushing back to have a McGann movie and risk brand confusion.

The only reason the BBC might do a movie with McGann would be for a time War movie, however this report suggests there will be no Time War, and just a jolly (but expensive) adventure in Time and Space.
    I really think a movie is most likely with McGann, it'd be hell getting a current incumbent to schedule filming for a movie, imo. But come on, an $85 million budget! That's surely way out of BBCWW/BBC Film's budget, and would they really get that much co-funding after the TV Movie's performance?

I think a movie with a current incumbent would only happen if the TV Series were to finish, or was planned to finish. It was one of the main reasons Tom Baker's 'Scratchman' movie never happened, wasn't it?

Jason Haigh-Ellery would have a much more expensive car.
    I thought Jason put forward the money to front Big Finish out of his own immense finances - he probably drives a nice enough car anyway.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

[fanwank]They could hire McGann AND Eccleston, have the Time War AND see the regeneration spurt spurt spurt[/fanwank]

Quote Originally Posted by transvamp View Post
    I'll actually be looking forward to this if it ever materialises. Especially if he still has India Fisher by his side.

I'd gladly watch this over the Tennant version.
    Baysan?

and would they really get that much co-funding
    Isn't the new series now co-funded by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation? They could put some money in.

I love the idea of another McGann TV Movie, but it won't happen. I would love to see McGann fight in the Time War and regenerate into Eccleston, that would really make this dream worthwhile!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I thought Jason put forward the money to front Big Finish out of his own immense finances - he probably drives a nice enough car anyway.
    He was probably well off when they started!

Si.