Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Dave, Dave, where are you...?!

I heard on the radio this morning that Aaron Lennon had signed a new 5.5 year deal - can you confirm this, Paul? Surprised it's not been mentioned on here...

I read it on teletext when I got back from work today, so that would appear to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    5-1 now
    It finished 6-3!!!

First time Liverpool have conceded 6 goals at home since 1930 apparently!

I recall a similar scoreline in a League Cup game circa 1991 - 6-2 I think between Arsenal and Man U, though I can't remember who the victors were. Early appearances by the likes of Giggs and Sharpe as I recall.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Dave, Dave, where are you...?!
    I'm in a football hell. But that's the great thing about football hell... it has no bearing on the real world. Bill Shankly, great man that he was, said...

"Someone said 'football is more important than life and death to you' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'."
    Whether his tongue was in his cheek when he said it, or whether he truly believed that, I don't know. But I know that it isn't, not to me, anyway. It's important, of course it is. But there are a million things that matter a great deal more, whether Liverpool win, lose, or are thrashed 6-3 at home. So although I'm a bit pissed off about tonight, it's only comparable to how pleased I was when we won the FA Cup last year, or the Champions League the year before, or all the things we won when I was growing up as a Liverpool fan. It's good... and then it's gone. It's a momentary high, a great night out, and certainly in the case of what happened in Istanbul, an astounding and amazing night that mattered more because of who I was with, and how we all celebrated it. But in terms of reality, and my life, it didn't change anything. Because the next day the humdrum and mediocrity of life kicked back in. So tomorrow, after tonight's crappy defeat, the same humdrum and mediocrity will kick back in. Nothing changes, no matter how good or bad the team plays. It's a cheap high... great and marvellous as it can be, but it's also a cheap low... a crap event to project any woes onto and use as an excuse for other, more deep-seated things.

I'll always support the Reds, but I'll never be into them enough that they can change my life. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post

I'll always support the Reds, but I'll never be into them enough that they can change my life. Never.

I couldnt agree more. If, but more likely when Charlton are relegated at the end of the season, I will not be one of those supporters sitting in the stands crying my eyes out. It'll be a sad day, but hey, life goes on and they'll still be playing football next season, just in another league!
    Last edited by duncan; 10th Jan 2007 at 9:18 AM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Troubled superstar Michael Jackson (48) has expressed an interest in
    investing some of his many millions into Liverpool Football Club Plc.

This surprise move was explained by Michael's adviser Guy Holmes
    "Michael is particularly excited by the
    thought of being spanked at home by 11 kids"
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    First time Liverpool have conceded 6 goals at home since 1930 apparently!

I recall a similar scoreline in a League Cup game circa 1991 - 6-2 I think between Arsenal and Man U, though I can't remember who the victors were. Early appearances by the likes of Giggs and Sharpe as I recall.

Man Utd beat Arsenal 6-2 in that game - in all the years I've suppoted West Ham I can't remember us ever conceeding 6 at home all though I do think there have been a couple of 5's..

The Hammers are in talks with Arsenal right back Lauren. That would be a good signing for the Hammers if they pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    The Hammers are in talks with Arsenal right back Lauren. That would be a good signing for the Hammers if they pull it off.

apparantly if the deal gose through it will only be on a six month contract with the possibility of a futher year if we stay up - he will certainly be a coup if we can pull it off and will bring soome much needed experience to our defence. Only concern is he's been out for a yeat with a knee injury so there could be a few question marks over his fitness..

HOORAY!!!

Pardew has seen the light and has off loaded Traore to Portsmouth for 1m. We lose a Million on him but good riddance. It looks as though Ben Thatcher is coming in from Man City as a Replacement.

DOUBLE HOORAY.

Portsmouth are also taking Diawara off our hands in a loan swap deal with us getting Andy O'Brien.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Dave Lewis Guest

"Hot fudge, here comes the judge..."

Beckham's moving to LA Galaxy in a five year deal worth 128million to him. Not a bad deal for him, and the missus will love it. But this is an absolutely obscene amount of dough, isn't it? Five hundred grand a week? And it's still not a patch on what the top baseball/NFL/NBA stars earn. Madness.

Edited to add: Although according to Sky Sports News, he will be earning more a week than anyone else in American sport...
    Last edited by Dave Lewis; 11th Jan 2007 at 6:15 PM. Reason: I just told you, Derek.

"Hot fudge, here comes the judge..."

Beckham's moving to LA Galaxy in a five year deal worth 128million to him. Not a bad deal for him, and the missus will love it. But this is an absolutely obscene amount of dough, isn't it? Five hundred grand a week? And it's still not a patch on what the top baseball/NFL/NBA stars earn. Madness.
    no wonder he was so keen to go there no body deserves or is worth 500k a week ..

Captain Tancredi Guest

" Not a bad deal for him, and the missus will love it.
    Not sure she'll love being in the one place on Earth where she'll still look fat.

But so what? He's been trading on reputation for the last couple of years, isn't the player he was 5-6 years ago and seems to have lost his fire in amongst all the fun of being a celebrity rather than a footballer. Given that he isn't figuring for England at the moment, the distance isn't an issue either. The only sad thing is that football in the US has spent much of the last ten years trying to shake off the reputation of being a rest home where famous foreign players slide gently towards the end of their careers, without it happening again.

And it's still not a patch on what the top baseball/NFL/NBA stars earn. Madness.
    Actually it's way more than what any other US athlete is making. (For one thing the NFL has a strict salary cap, so it's players on average earn less than NBA or MLB players. MLB has the highest salaries in US sports on average, with Alex Rodriguez formerly being the highest paid US Athlete. To put it in perspective A-Rod signed the richest contract in sports history at the time with a $252 million contract for TEN years. Beckhams contract in US dollars is about $250 million for FIVE years!

The only thing I'm not totally sure of is if Beckhams contract includes endorsments, because I heard outside companies helped pay it... The contracts for the other sports mentioned never include the money the athletes make on top of that through endorsements. Of course, if you include endorsements I'll bet Tiger Woods is still the highest earning athlete in the world... (edited to add- Woods made $87 million in 2005 (50 mil British Pounds) and is the third highest paid athlete all time behind Micheal Jordan and Arnold Palmer)

also here is a link citing the worlds highest paid athletes from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/...thletes_2.html
    Last edited by Jeff; 11th Jan 2007 at 8:50 PM.

not going to well at the moment as usual we're losing 1-0 to Fulham and Sheff utd are 1-0 up against Pompey if it stays like this and Boro win as well then we will be as good as relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    not going to well at the moment as usual we're losing 1-0 to Fulham and Sheff utd are 1-0 up against Pompey if it stays like this and Boro win as well then we will be as good as relegated.
    We were beating Boro, but they equalised at the end of Half time. At the time of tyoing, West Ham and Sheff Utd are both winning which is NOT good for Charlton. Wigan are losing which is something as they are the team we are chasing at the moment.

COME ON CHARLTON.

Charlton are 2-1 down now, and West Ham are 3-2 up.

Make that 3-1 down. Its all over and we are definately going down!

West Ham 3-3 Fulham, so the damage isnt too bad for Charlton then. Come on Fulham. Make it 4!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    West Ham 3-3 Fulham, so the damage isnt too bad for Charlton then. Come on Fulham. Make it 4!
    f/t 3-3

any thing but a win today was unexceptable that's 1pt from our last 4 home game and the simple fact is we're going down..

I am very very angry this felt like a defeat and in truth we might as well of lost because 1pts in totally usless to us in the situation we are in..

Captain Tancredi Guest

Right, that's the second time in three weeks we've let a 2-0 lead go and ended up on the wrong end of 3-2. Sort 'em out, Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    f/t 3-3

any thing but a win today was unexceptable that's 1pt from our last 4 home game and the simple fact is we're going down..

I am very very angry this felt like a defeat and in truth we might as well of lost because 1pts in totally usless to us in the situation we are in..
    AT least you got a point and with Wigan losing that could be vital to you. The Boro game was a game Charlton couldnt afford to lose. Lose it we did and with our next four games against top 6 sides, I have to wonder where the next points are coming from.

We need a Striker and we need him quickly!

Spurs need to make sure they win against Newcastle tomorrow, or there will a five point gap between them and sixth placed Portsmouth, and eight points behind fifth placed Bolton. It 's really starting to look like a four tier contest, with Man Utd and Chelsea fighting for the top slots, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bolton and Portsmouth fighting it out for the other top six places, Charlton and Watford fighting to not be bottom of the pile and only thirteen points separating the other 12 teams for mid-table obscurity or safety.

Pip Madeley Guest

Man Utd 3-1 Aston Villa - we kicked their arse.

Kiss my face