Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

wwell it's a big first game in charge for Curbishley at home to Manchester United we certainly could of done with an easier game and I think Alan might just be waiting a little while longer for his first 3pts..

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hopefully the Addics (or is that Wigan?) won't end up in the same boat.
    Wigan and Oldham both call themselves the Latics- same word rendered differently in Cockney and Lanky dialects.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    wwell it's a big first game in charge for Curbishley at home to Manchester United we certainly could of done with an easier game and I think Alan might just be waiting a little while longer for his first 3pts..
    I think you may well be right. Well, at least I hope you are as it will keep Charlton within spitting distance of West Ham. We get a tonking at home to Liverpool today. With games against Fulham, Middlesboro and Aston Villa coming up, its an opportunity to get some well needed points on the board.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I think Curbs main immediate goal will be to keep West Ham within touching distance of safety until January. I expect to see him given money to spend at that stage, and I also expect a couple of players to leave having been deemed surplus to requirements.

I'm actually wondering whether Reo-Coker will be allowed to leave. He hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did last season, and a few Hammers fans I know have said that he seems to be resting on the laurels of last years performances too much. If they sold him, they'd expect to get a fair bit of money, and a few of the bigger clubs might even offer a players plus cash deal and ensure that the Hammers get some better players than they have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I think Curbs main immediate goal will be to keep West Ham within touching distance of safety until January. .

well all results went against us today and we are now in serious trouble if we lose and Boro win we are effectivly going to be 7pts from safety and that is a hell of a lot to make up and i'm not sure we can do it.

I hope that Boro lose then. At the time of posting this West Ham are still 0-0 with man Utd which is a good acheivement. But, as we all know, Utd NEVER give up and anything can happen yet.
    Last edited by duncan; 17th Dec 2006 at 5:20 PM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Well done West Ham and Alan Curbishley. It sort of seals Charlton's fate now. 5 points behind West Ham and 7 pts from safety at this stage of the season is difficult to come back from.

Still until tuesday, we still have the League cup to play for. The way thing are going, Wycombe are bound to beat us!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Well done West Ham and Alan Curbishley. It sort of seals Charlton's fate now. 5 points behind West Ham and 7 pts from safety at this stage of the season is difficult to come back from.

!

that was why todays result was so important as if we'd lost and Boro had won tomorrow against Fulham we to would also of effectivly been 7pts from safety and I'm not sure we could of made it up. This result keeps us in touching distance of the teams above us but this was a fantastic result in which every player finally produced their best performance of the season.

non more so then Robert Green who pulled off some brilliant saves and surely now has to be a serious contender to be recalled into the England side.
    Last edited by Larry; 17th Dec 2006 at 9:51 PM.

Robert Green was in phenomenal form, pulling off a string of saves to thwart Man Utd. I was also impressed with the workrate of Marlon Harewood, the guy seems to be forever running.

Spurs beat Man City 2-1 and are now within a few points of third place, and finally picked up some much needed away points too.

Dave Lewis Guest

Rafa says we can still win the league. Why can I not find it within myself to believe him?

Rafa says we can still win the league. Why can I not find it within myself to believe him?
    Because you know it's cobblers. To win the league you need both Chelsea and Man Utd to drop a lot of points. You can see one of the two doing it, but not both.

Dave Lewis Guest

I do think we'll beat Barcelona though... anybody want to call me a loony?

You're a loony! *

* I've been today!

Dave Lewis Guest

I haven't - perhaps I should have been to make a statement like that! I still think we will, though... I can feel it in my water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post

Les Reed says we can still escape relegation. I almost died laughing.
    Last edited by duncan; 18th Dec 2006 at 9:09 PM.

Les Reed says we can still escape relegation. I almost died laughing.
    To be fair he can't really say a lot else and in truth all you need is to win a couple of successive games and you'll be right back in the mix with the other strugglers.

To be fair he can't really say a lot else and in truth all you need is to win a couple of successive games and you'll be right back in the mix with the other strugglers.

Thankfully, Boro lost to Fulham tonight so that has helped for now. To be fair to Les reed, I'd be jumping up and down if he was to be shouting 'We're all doomed'. He has to stay optimistic to keep the players in the right frame of mind I suppose. Let's hope we get a good win on Tueday in the cup against Wycombe as results will breed the confidence.

All the pundits in the media have written Charlton off, but if WBA can escape the drop after occupying the bottom spot at Xmas, then there is hope for the Addicks.

well Charlton's christmas prorgram is as follows Middleborough (A) Fulham (H)
    Aston Villa (H) Arsenal (A) realisticaly you want to be wanting at least 7pts from those 4 matches. But looking at them I can't see you getting much from the away games but I think you could certainly pick up points from the two home games.

our 4 games are against Fulham (A) Portsmouth (H) Man City(H) Reading (A)
    on paper it looks a fairly comfortable set of games all of them winnable and I don't think it's unreasonable to be looking at 7pts minimum..

We'll get nothing against Arsenal and away to Middlesboro is a difficult game. We are home to Boro in Jan so that's another important game. Fulham and Villa are normally difficult games for us when we are in form so I am guessing 4 pts max.

I'm just getting ready to go to The Valley for tonights game, so think of me when you see the result and try and guess what sort of a journey home I'm having.

well Charlton's christmas prorgram is as follows Middleborough (A) Fulham (H)
    Aston Villa (H) Arsenal (A) realisticaly you want to be wanting at least 7pts from those 4 matches. But looking at them I can't see you getting much from the away games but I think you could certainly pick up points from the two home games.

our 4 games are against Fulham (A) Portsmouth (H) Man City(H) Reading (A)
    on paper it looks a fairly comfortable set of games all of them winnable and I don't think it's unreasonable to be looking at 7pts minimum..
    I'd expect Charlton to get 3 points out of thos games with a win at home to Fulham. The rest I see as defeats with, if lucky, a point from Villa.

West Ham should be able to get 7 points easily enough, but I think Portsmouth will be too much for them.

Just got home from the game. Les Reed needs to do the decent thing and resign!

Now!!
    Last edited by duncan; 19th Dec 2006 at 10:29 PM.

Just got home from the game. Les Reed needs to do the decent thing and resign!

Now!!

Mate, i'm not going to rub it in cos I've seen West Ham suffer many cup humiliations so I know what it feels like it's even more painfull when you get this far and had a decent chance to reach the final..

As for Les Reed, in a way I have no sympathy for Charlton , just like we did with Roeder, the Charlton board took the easiest and cheapest option in appointing him. You need to get rid of him and fast because with him in charge your going down and the longer you leave it to sack him the harder it will be to get out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I'd expect Charlton to get 3 points out of thos games with a win at home to Fulham. The rest I see as defeats with, if lucky, a point from Villa.

West Ham should be able to get 7 points easily enough,but I think Portsmouth will be too much for them.
    just like Arsenal & Manchester United were - if we can improve on our performance against Man Utd and backed up by another fanatical atmosphere then i see no reason why we can't get a result.

The trouble is, West Ham haven't been consistent. You'll raise your game against the big teams, but when you play the lesser teams who have been performing well, things go tits up.

That is a Curbishley trait. Just look at Charlton's track record under him.