Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Mate, i'm not going to rub it in cos I've seen West Ham suffer many cup humiliations so I know what it feels like it's even more painfull when you get this far and had a decent chance to reach the final..

As for Les Reed, in a way I have no sympathy for Charlton , just like we did with Roeder, the Charlton board took the easiest and cheapest option in appointing him. You need to get rid of him and fast because with him in charge your going down and the longer you leave it to sack him the harder it will be to get out of trouble.
    Thanks for not rubbing it in. I've had a hard time of it at work today because of last nights result. The sad thing is that the board are backing Les Reed and have now gone on record as saying that they will NOT be changing managers again this season. It saddens me to hear this.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Thanks for not rubbing it in. I've had a hard time of it at work today because of last nights result. The sad thing is that the board are backing Les Reed and have now gone on record as saying that they will NOT be changing managers again this season. It saddens me to hear this.
    I read this in todays Sun, and when you think how much the new TV deal with Sky is worth next season (I believe an extra 25m per club) it is a suicidal decision to take. The Charlton, board have probably made this decision because they can't afford another compensation claim in paying off the remainder of Reed's contract. But the reality is Charlton will lose a hell of a lot more if they get relegated they will not only lose 30m + but will see all thir best players sold.

Duncan, from a fans perspective, who would you like to see Charlton keep and get rid of in the transfer window, and who would you like to see them get in. Bein realistic of course as the world knows Ronaldinho wants to come to Spurs.

Keeping Bent is a MUST. He is vital to any chances of staying up. From what I saw against Wycombe on Tuesday night, we wont miss Diawara, Traore or Amdy Faye. They were just awful!

I'm not sure how much money is available for Jan, but attracting decent players to the club is going to be very difficult indeed! We need to bolster all areas, but we especially need more options up front as Dowie let go most of our strikers at the start of the season.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I know keeping Bent, is a must but there have been rumours linking him with a move to West Ham, we have money to spend and I suspect you don't and if we make a 6m+ offer for him you may find it hard to refuse. Also there is the Curbishley factor and the chance to play for (no disrespect intended) a bigger club Bent may very well also find the offer hard to refuse...

Well, the board have made it adamant that Bent is not for sale. But with figures of 10M being bandied about, he could very well go. But, the boards word means nothing these days as i distinctly remember that Parker was not for sale. 2 days later he moved to Chelsea for 10M.

I sometimes wonder why more clubs don't push for a buy back clause when selling players. It happens quite a lot abroad when a larger club buys a player from a smaller club. Basically, if the player doesn't pan out as expected, the former club has first refusal on the player but usually at a lesser fee. For example, if Charlton had done it with Scott Parker, he would have been sold for 10mill, but when Chelsea decided to sell him on, Charlton would have had first refusal at say 3mill before other clubs could try to buy him.
    Larger clubs also use it abroad so that they can get back youngsters they decide to cash in on who end up proving to be better than they expected. They'll add in the clause so that if the player becomes good enough to want in their side, they could buy him back.

sounds a good idea but I can't see it working in the Premiership for a start it' all very well giving the old club first refusal but that would only work if the player concerned wanted to go back there. Also if you have spent say 10m on a player with a lot of potential but for some reason can't settle your not going to be to happy being forced to sell him at a loss of 7m...

very dissapointed with the over all result against Fulham and that yet again we have failed to score away from home but we got a pt and I think we got to be happy with that at least..

The king is dead, long live the king.

Les Reed has left Charlton by Mutual consent and has been replaced by Alan Pardew. He wont save us. We're beyond saving but at least we stand a better chance of coming back up with Pardew at the helm.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Les Reed has left Charlton by Mutual consent and has been replaced by Alan Pardew. He wont save us. We're beyond saving but at least we stand a better chance of coming back up with Pardew at the helm.
    no real supprise that Pardew, hjas taken over only just that it's happenend so quickly - but I certainly would not say it's to late for him to save you after all a new manager usualy gives things a boost and a couple of back to back wins will get you right back in it.

But with the transfer window coming up it will be interesting to see if one or two West Ham players might just be following him to The Valley who knows a player plus cash deal with us getting Bent and you getting Zamora or Harewood..

Captain Tancredi Guest

Saw an odd game yesterday- Tranmere went 2-0 up against Gillingham in 5 minutes and contrived to be 3-2 down by half time and then played out the most laid-back second half inmaginable. At least I've seen one more goal for the "special" list- Chris Shuker's 5th-minute goal direct from a corner which eluded everybody in the box but just nicked in at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Saw an odd game yesterday- Tranmere went 2-0 up against Gillingham in 5 minutes and contrived to be 3-2 down by half time and then played out the most laid-back second half inmaginable. At least I've seen one more goal for the "special" list- Chris Shuker's 5th-minute goal direct from a corner which eluded everybody in the box but just nicked in at the end.
    and I bet being 2-0 up with 5 minutes gone you were all thinking easy 3pts and a sack full of goals..

no real supprise that Pardew, hjas taken over only just that it's happenend so quickly - but I certainly would not say it's to late for him to save you after all a new manager usualy gives things a boost and a couple of back to back wins will get you right back in it.

But with the transfer window coming up it will be interesting to see if one or two West Ham players might just be following him to The Valley who knows a player plus cash deal with us getting Bent and you getting Zamora or Harewood..
    I still cannot see Bent leaving unless we go down at the end of the season. No offence, but going across the Thames to West Ham is no incentive as the are in trouble too. The only way I can see Bent leaving is if one of the big clubs make an offer in the region of 10M.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    That result pleased the hell out of me. The Gillingham defence has been poor all season, and most of that stems from Jepson's continued reliance on the ageing Ian Cox. The back four have looked strongest when Brent Sancho has played alongside Ben Chorley, but Ian Cox always plays when he's fit, usually at the expense of Chorley, but in that game partnering Chorley with Sancho on the bench. The biggest problem for Gillingham though, will be whether they can keep hold of Matty Jarvis till the end of the season. A few clubs may well make an offer in the January transfer window, and figures of around 600,000 - 800,000 have been bandied about. It would be good business to sell him, but with the club 10 million in debt, I doubt the manager will get to see much, if any, of the money.

bloody awful result against Portsmouth and by all accounts a bloody awful performance too.The honeymoon is now well and truely over for Curbishley his first the two games were reasonable performances but in truth onjly papered over the cracks as all the old problems returned today. We desperatly need to bring in new players to replace Reo Coker, Zamora, Nullins, Harewood, Koncheskey and Etherington who right now simply are not good enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

and I bet being 2-0 up with 5 minutes gone you were all thinking easy 3pts and a sack full of goals..
    There's never, ever, been a Tranmere side which could hold onto a lead for 85 minutes, not even a two-goal one. When Gills levelled it I could see us going on to win perhaps 4-3, but the second half turned into stalemate because the defences dominated the game. 2-2 at Huddersfield today leaves us with one point from two games (and four goals scored) with Forest away on Saturday. They may well be the best team in the division (or perhaps just the strongest squad) but it's irritating at our level when commentators start talking clubs up in December.

bloody awful result against Portsmouth and by all accounts a bloody awful performance too.The honeymoon is now well and truely over for Curbishley his first the two games were reasonable performances but in truth onjly papered over the cracks as all the old problems returned today. We desperatly need to bring in new players to replace Reo Coker, Zamora, Nullins, Harewood, Koncheskey and Etherington who right now simply are not good enough.
    Give him time, I'm sure he'll save you. Results will breed confidence and maybe portsmouth just caught you on a bad day. Boxing day is traditionally a day for upsets. Reading held Chelsea and Blackburn beat Liverpool today and that second one is a result that helps neither West Ham or Charlton. We have a good chance to make up some ground on The Hammers tomorrow as we are at home to Fulham and FINALLY have a decent manager in charge.

Give him time, I'm sure he'll save you. Results will breed confidence and maybe portsmouth just caught you on a bad day. Boxing day is traditionally a day for upsets. Reading held Chelsea and Blackburn beat Liverpool today and that second one is a result that helps neither West Ham or Charlton. We have a good chance to make up some ground on The Hammers tomorrow as we are at home to Fulham and FINALLY have a decent manager in charge.
    and would it not now be ironic that Pardew keeps Charlton up and we get relegated the script is almost written..

we now play Man City and then away to Reading on New Years Day and the silly thing is if we were to win both games we'll all be saying what a good christmas we've had. Personaly I can't see it happening and I just hope that we can manage to get at least 4pts from these games..

Out of the next three games, nothing less than 7 pts is enough if Charlton are to survive. We are home to Fulham tonight then home to Villa before going away to the Arsenal.Yes, it would be ironic if we stay up and you don't but I'm not holding my breath.

I have not been back to see Charlton since last weeks awful performance and defeat to Wycombe but am listening to the live commentary on the CAFC website. We are winning 2-1 at half time and Darren Bent has scored his first goal since Dowie was sacked. He never netted under Reed as Reed was adamant that Bent should not carry the team. Pardew said today that he would be looking at the likes of Bent to "do the business" and lo and behold, he scores. We have created more chances in the first half of this match tonight than we did under most of Les Reeds short reign. It's early days I know, but I really hope that our season has started now.

watching the game on Sky and it's been a pretty entertaining game with end to end action bit fortunant to be 2-1 up thanks to some comical defending..

Good Grief. A Last minute equaliser denies us a well needed win. That Traore is a complete liability. @Larry. You were watching the game, was it a free kick. The boos ringing out tell me that the Charlton fans disagree with Polls decision.

EDIT - I have just seen the incident on Sky Sports News and it was the Fulham player that handled the ball. It was a disgusting decision and I would love to blame Poll for it but the Linesman flagged and gave the free kick!!!!??????????

We woz robbed guv.
    Last edited by duncan; 27th Dec 2006 at 10:41 PM.

So, we have reached the halfway stage of the season and the table looks like this:

1 Manchester United 50
    2 Chelsea 46
    3 Arsenal 36
    4 Bolton Wanderers 36
    5 Portsmouth 35
    6 Liverpool 34
    7 Tottenham Hotspur 31
    8 Everton 28
    9 Reading 27
    10 Aston Villa 25
    11 Newcastle United 25
    12 Fulham 25
    13 Manchester City 23
    14 Wigan Athletic 22
    15 Blackburn Rovers 22
    16 Middlesbrough 21
    17 Sheffield United 20
    18 West Ham United 18
    19 Charlton Athletic 13
    20 Watford 11

So, the Premiership title looks, as it has done for some weeks now, like a two horse race between Man Utd and Chelsea.
    At this stage, it looks like four clubs are fighting for the last two Champions League places with Bolton being in there at this stage as they usually are, though in most seasons they start to drop away after Christmas. Portsmouth rise has been meteoric, with the club having only three less points at the moment than they had in the whole of last season when they finished fourth from bottom. Liverpool and Arsenal have shown that they are still potential top four clubs, but have also shown how much of a gulf had grown between them and the top two, while Spurs have relied heavily on their home form to get the into a respectable 7th spot. If they had any sort of away form though, they would have been much higher.
    Elsewhere, Reading have had a good season so far, occupying a mid table position. They are not safe yet though, being only nine points from the relegation zone. Everton with a ten point margin should be safe but will probably be concentrating more on chasing down the top 7 pack.
    There's only seven points difference between 10th and 18th, showing that any club in those positions has a realistic chance of getting sucked into the relegation battle, but you'd imagine that Aston Villa and Newcastle have enough about them to pull away, in fact, Newcastle have one five of their last seven Premiership games and their upsurge in form should give them safety fairly early on if that form continues.
    The relegation battle looks like it could be over for Watford already. Nine points off of safety, with their main striker Marlon King out for the season I can't see them getting the goals to win them matches, though they certainly seem to draw a few (8 in 20 games so far). Charlton are not much better off with only 13 points, and with upcoming Premiership games including Arsenal, Portsmouth and Bolton (all in the top 5), followed by a double header against the top two in early February, They'll have to hope that other clubs don't pick up too many points over that period of it could be all over for them by six weeks time. They certainly won't want to end the season needing a result as their last two games are against Spurs and Liverpool.
    In contrast, West Ham should be much more positive about their chances. Their next three league games are all eminently winnable, with Man City, Reading and Fulham as opponents. After a tough game at the end of January against Liverpool, they can then go about trying to get some points against Aston Villa, Watford and Charlton.

I'll give a little prediction for relegation: Watford, Charlton and Sheff Utd

I'll agree with you there and I'm a Charlton fan. Charlton and Watford are doomed and with Curbs at the helm I think West Ham will stay up. Sheff Utd will be the other team to go down.

Oh, did I mention that we were well and truly robbed last night?