View Poll Results: Is 42 lucky or unlucky for you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 42 + 10 = 52, Doctor Whooooooooooo!

4 9.30%
  • 42 + 9 = 51, Caroline John

7 16.28%
  • 42 + 8 = Si Hart's age when he finally saw The Dominators

10 23.26%
  • 42 + 7 = 49, Dimensions In Time

6 13.95%
  • 42 + 6 = 48, Warrior's Gate

6 13.95%
  • 42 + 5 = 47, Stewart Bevan

4 9.30%
  • 42 + 4 = 46, Terrance Dicks

3 6.98%
  • 42 + 3 = 45, General Smythe

0 0%
  • 42 + 2 = 44, Mrs Moooo-ahhhh

2 4.65%
  • 42 + 1 = 43, You old banshee!

1 2.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Aww thanks

SFX gave it 4.5 stars in their Review Here.

So ner.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Aww thanks

SFX gave it 4.5 stars in their Review Here.

So ner.
    Of course they only reserve 5 stars for Buffy.

Seriously though - it felt a bit of a rehash of a lot of things we've seen before. I think the idea of "42 minutes to doom" was great, but it was wasted, because the pace didn't seem quite as desparate as it should have. In fact take out the ticking timer, and it wouldn't have been much different.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, I'm going to give it a solid 8 out of 10 - I loved the idea of it all happening in real-time, it added a lot of tension and energy to the plot, which yes, was 'Planet Of Evil' meets 'The Impossible Planet'. But a good plot nevertheless! Tennant and Agyeman acted their socks off: to see the Doctor in such pain and admit he's scared was a very memorable moment, but not as special as the moment where they were physically separated - I'm so glad Harper removed all music from that scene, because I don't think it would have worked anywhere near as well as it did. The guest cast were alright, Michelle Collins particularly impressed, I was worried about her casting... however, Anthony Flanagan deserved a much better part (he proved his talent in last year's Cracker).

Meanwhile, the Saxon cutaways were quite interesting - so, he can track Martha's mobile phone half the universe away, in another time... not an ordinary Prime Minister... I can't wait for episodes 12 and 13.

Oh, and was it just me, or did I hear someone mention a Pentallian drive?

'Planet Of Evil' meets 'The Impossible Planet'.
    If yer gonna homage, pick good stories! What next, "The Web Planet" meets "Kinda"?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    If yer gonna homage, pick good stories! What next, "The Web Planet" meets "Kinda"?

Si.
    Next week: "Timelash" meets "Battlefield"!!!

Pip Madeley Guest

The Doctors, Peri and Ace are arguing about where the rest of the console room has gone, when the TARDIS is suddenly ensnared by a Kontron corridor. The Seventh Doctor gives Peri a belt, whilst the Sixth Doctor managed to steer the TARDIS clear of the impact and lands the ship nearby Lake Vortigern on the planet Careful, where the Third Doctor and Liz Shaw once used their UNIT passes to get inside a swingers party hosted by Megelen and Brigadier Bambera.

Etc etc.

4 out of 10

This was the worst story since Shakespeare Code.

It was boring, tedious and padded out. Exactly how many times in one episode did Martha need to call her mum? Who, incidentally, annoys me intensely, more than Jackie ever did. And by frequently taking it off the ship it killed any tension that could have built up.
    The characterisation, as others have pointed out was awful, providing basic two dimensional characters who died so quickly you didn't even have time to begin to care. I can't even remember their names!

The episodes only saving graces were David's excellent portrayal of possession, and Graeme's stylish direction. Chris Chibnall is better suited to the sub standard Torchwood, I think.

And maybe I'm missing something, but how is it similar to Planet of Evil?

And maybe I'm missing something, but how is it similar to Planet of Evil?
    Humanoids take something away from what turns out to be a sentient planet/sun; the entity won't let them leave with it, so turns a member of the crew into a killer. Various unexciting crew-members are killed off, until the day is saved by what was taken being returned to the planet/sun from whence it came.

Fairly similar, I would say.

Ahhhh. There you go .

Planet of Evil is boring tedious and padded aswell. I seriously hate that one.

Don't let Si Hart catch you dissing Planet of Evil. He lovvvvvvves it!

Can someone tell me why all the possessed people sought out and donned those helmets?

Si.

Can someone tell me why all the possessed people sought out and donned those helmets?

Si.
    I presumed it was because whenever they opened their eyes those burning beams of light came out, so the helmets, which had visors, stopped this being a problem/making them too obvious until they wanted to kill someone.

Merchandising.

I liked it; thought it was quite tense and the real-time element was utilised well. I didn't feel too convinced by the spaceship- nobody ever mentions gravity! And, I'm sure Jason will enlighten me, but am I right in thinking that there is no way you could be that close to a star without being fried?
    Overall though, it was decent enough. Tennant was fabulous, and I'm really wishing he stays on a bit longer (would it be greedy to hope for 4 seasons? )

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    And, I'm sure Jason will enlighten me, but am I right in thinking that there is no way you could be that close to a star without being fried?
    Not wanting to steal Jason's thunder, but yes you're correct Carol. The 'anti-rational-science' brigade on OG would have you believe that the 'heat' shields of the ship would stop that happening. Unfortunately, even if these shields kept out every other wavelengths except those of visible light, they'd still be enough to fry your gizzards at that distance.

Remember the New Series mantra

Drama takes precedence over science
    Bazinga !

I fear Jason might've had a heart attack after watching all that dodgy science.

Well he's not been on has he?

I think he's strapped to a hospital trolley somewhere blithering about living suns and jaunty 5000 degree spacewalks.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Drama takes presidence over science
    Thing is I'm a University educated Physicist. I find a lot of sci-fi has very creaky science in it. I think the mantra "drama takes presidence over science" though is a good one. After all Dr Who is there to entertain not necessarily educate.

The issue I had with 42 last night is it wasn't really very good drama, nevermind the science.

Can I just say that I thought that was utter bobbins. The story was very cliched, the science complete pants BUT somehow it managed to keep me on the edge of my seat. At one point I really did think they might kill Martha off.

I'm getting the feeling that other people didn't like this one?

I quite enjoyed this one, but it was lacking a certain something. Looked good, felt hot and sweaty! The story didn't grip me though. I gave it a 6 for the fact that The Doctor really seemed to be in peril, which is unusual recently.
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

The Doctor really seemed to be in peril, which is unusual recently
    Surely he was in peril last episode when being chased by that mutated DNA monster, and the one before when he was struck by lightning while clinging to the top of the empire state building?

Si.

I voted 5/10, not sure what for, as I can only describe it as 'meh'.....

Bring back Beryl Reid!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Surely he was in peril last episode when being chased by that mutated DNA monster, and the one before when he was struck by lightning while clinging to the top of the empire state building?

Si.
    Think Mr President was being sarcastic, Si...

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Think Mr President was being sarcastic, Si...
    Well done Pip, you have won this week's spot the Sarcasm competition!

I thought that 42 did lack something, but I really have not been able to identify it! Perhaps it will improve with repeated viewings! I think that Martha was a bit of a fifth wheel in this episode though! Open door, open door, ring mum, open door, get stuck in escape pod, get rescued, try to save Doctor, get key!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

My non-fan friends have branded it a bit on the crap side, with my rents going as far as to say it's the worst episode of the new series so far.

And popcorn.