View Poll Results: Is 42 lucky or unlucky for you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 42 + 10 = 52, Doctor Whooooooooooo!

4 9.30%
  • 42 + 9 = 51, Caroline John

7 16.28%
  • 42 + 8 = Si Hart's age when he finally saw The Dominators

10 23.26%
  • 42 + 7 = 49, Dimensions In Time

6 13.95%
  • 42 + 6 = 48, Warrior's Gate

6 13.95%
  • 42 + 5 = 47, Stewart Bevan

4 9.30%
  • 42 + 4 = 46, Terrance Dicks

3 6.98%
  • 42 + 3 = 45, General Smythe

0 0%
  • 42 + 2 = 44, Mrs Moooo-ahhhh

2 4.65%
  • 42 + 1 = 43, You old banshee!

1 2.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rate And Discuss 3.7: 42

Tennant and Agyeman get sweaty...

Please save our moderators a whole lot of bother and don't touch the poll till after transmission.

Can I just add a very childish snicker at the phrase "touch the poll". Thanks.

42 + 8 = Si Hart's age when he finally saw The Dominators
    @Pip!

I saw it when I was 15 though... I haven't seen it since however...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

9/10 for me best of the series so far .

Tense or what??? A 10/10 for that one, real edge of your seat stuff. It had me gripped from beginning to end. I really. really enjoyed that one.
    Shades of Planet of Evil there, "Give back what they took" Shades of Dalek Masterplan, the airlock death scene, and some unanswered questions, who's listening in to Martha's phone call to her mum?
    Seven very good episodes in a row IMHO, I've really high expectations for the next two episodes. if this is anything to go by I won't be disappointed.

Trudi G Guest

I just posted this comment on the other thread - but i'll repost it here...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well Christian enjoyed it, but it was too much like The Impossible Planet really. I was a bit underwhelmed by this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Tense or what??? A 10/10 for that one, real edge of your seat stuff. It had me gripped from beginning to end. I really. really enjoyed that one.
    Shades of Planet of Evil there, "Give back what they took" Shades of Dalek Masterplan, the airlock death scene, and some unanswered questions, who's listening in to Martha's phone call to her mum?
    Seven very good episodes in a row IMHO, I've really high expectations for the next two episodes. if this is anything to go by I won't be disappointed.
    well I'm assuming they were working for Mr Saxon.

Only gets a 6 from me, wasn't a bad episode by any means, but I didn't really enjoy it as much as the others. Excellent special effects though, and the spaceship sets were great, and as usual Graeme Harpers direction was superb, really gave the whole thing atmosphere.
    Nice Saxon sub plot with Marthas Mom too, there working in the Saxon stuff a lot better than Bad Wolf and Torchwood.

A 7/10 from me for this one. As Trudi has already said, it resembled Impossible Planet quite a bit, especially the human characters. They didn't seem as well rounded in this one though, but it was an enjoyable if slightly better than average episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well I'm assuming they were working for Mr Saxon.

We know they're working for Mr. Saxon, but will the average viewer have picked this up by now?

I stand by what I said in my previous post, it was an excellent episode, one I feel would have terrified some kids.

We know they're working for Mr. Saxon, but will the average viewer have picked this up by now?
    I think the line where the woman says something like 'Mr Saxon gives you his thanks' would have given it away.

Well I rather enjoyed that!

I'm defo liking this series more than the last one!

A poor 4 out of 10.

I didn't get into this one. I got into this one less than I got into the Lazarus Experiment.
    The creepy family bits were the best - and I am soooooo looking forward as the season builds to a close!

I felt that there were huge gap fillers and time wasters planted through out the story. Hello! 42 minutes and counting! Doesn't anyone care that speed is of the essence and that every second spent not working on saving yourself is wasted? Obviously not.

I didn't like the defeatist character in the bunch, although the audience wasn't meant to (was he was defeatist). But when he got his act together one did warm to him slightly. And the way the Doctor chastised him was brilliant.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I enjoyed that - not too complex and the odd flaw along the way, but the performances and direction really hung together. 7 out of 10, I'd say.

I didn't expect to at first, but I really rather enjoyed it. Zel was upstairs in bed with a migraine; and Little Miss was outside playing with friends, so it was the first new episode I'd sat down to watch on my own since it came back! Little Miss drifted in about ten minutes in, and I gave her the story so far, and I would say we both enjoyed it. You wouldn't want to watch it over and over and over, as part of its appeal at first was the 'will they survive' element against the clock; but it had some entertaining moments (the 'pub quiz' bit) and some edge-of-the-seat stuff (the lifepod) and some really shocking moments (the Doctor's screaming and freezing) and some nicely played emotional stuff (the interaction in the final TARDIS scene for a start, and Martha's snog and "well done" goodbye) and enough sweaty bodies to cater for all tastes.

Since he famously dissed Pip 'n' Jane, I'd love to be able to say that Chris Chibnall's debut Who script was pants, but it was actually a very solid and enjoyable and presentable episode, and will no doubt have thrilled the 'too much sonic screwdriver' crowd too.

Oh, and we were both suitably intrigued by 'sinister woman' who we feel sure is somehow linked to the previously-mentioned 'mysterious man'. What's next, 'unsettling child'?

"Allons-y!"

It wasn't scientifically accurate (once again, my anal thermometer went flying across the room) and Martha's voice is now so high-pitched I can hardly understand what she's saying!

Enough with the frikkin' mobile phones and "I WUB YOU!!" guff already.

Elize Du Toit was looking good, but Michelle Collins should've been wearing a white vest.

-42/10

It bit of a rip-off of Planet Of Evil. Not bad, not the worst thing you'll ever see.

It took a while to get going, and once it did I felt we were on very familiar ground as The End Of The World with the heat shields breaking down and wotnot.

Not sure I could say it was ever tense though. I suspect it's one the old school crew will love and those who like the fresh meat will be a bit more dubious about swallowing.

I enjoyed it but (isn't there always a but?) there was a HUGE error scientifically when Tennant opened the airlock & the sun (which is only 12 minutes away, i think) didn't melt his face while only having a piece of perspex to protect him.

Other than that it was fast paced fun & I enjoyed it. I even liked Michelle Collins.

8/10

Witless, macho nonsense!

Si.

There's nothing like a Doctor Who episode to bring the differences out in people is there?

This was brilliant.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant and for me it was the best since the series returned in 2005. I had no problem with the similarities to The Impossible Plane as I thought that that was a very strong story anyway.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I enjoyed it but (isn't there always a but?) there was a HUGE error scientifically when Tennant opened the airlock & the sun (which is only 12 minutes away, i think) didn't melt his face while only having a piece of perspex to protect him
    Ah but surely Tim that's (a) assuming it was only perspex (maybe it was some kind of futuristic, heat-resistant glass, which would be very useful on a spacesuit); and (b) assuming that the creature that looked like a sun exhibited the same properties as a real sun (ie, maybe it wanted to communicate with him, or possess him, so deliberately didn't melt his face off).

I was up for this one. However it sufferd from not allowing us time to get to know the characters

I much prefer two parters

As a wise old bag with claws crabbier than the Macra once said "Definitely, one of the all-time worst".

That's a little harsh as it was well acted and well made but they all are these days and that isn't enough. Maybe I wasn't in the mood but it bored me. It was po-faced and like Chibnall's "Torchwood" scripts, macho and tough and just not my cup of tea at all. I am so fed up with the Doctor being put through the wringer each week. Tennant can do great pain acting but get over it. Probably the least enjoyable RTD era episode.

Next week's is more my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    my anal thermometer went flying across the room
    You shouldn't squeeze so hard then!

9/10 from me - it was tense! It was exciting!

Though I suspect Graeme Harper did a turning-shit-into-gold job on it.

The characterisation was pretty naff, but that was beside the point, this was about excitement! And what's going on with Martha's Mum! 45 minutes of pacey fluff, entertaining space opera for a Saturday evening. Super duper!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!