Default Doctor Who Location Ablaze!

At this very moment, a famous Doctor Who landmark is burning to the ground!

A fire on board the famous 19th Century ship the Cutty Sark is now under control, the London fire brigade said.

An area around the 138-year-old tea clipper was evacuated amid fears that gas cylinders were on board but it has been confirmed that none were present.

Greenwich town centre in south-east London has been closed to traffic and the Docklands Light Railway shut.

Police say they are treating the cause of the fire as suspicious and are currently analysing CCTV images.

Yes, no longer will you be able to visit the "Dimensions in Time" landmark and yell "Is anybooooooooody theeeeeere!" like Sophie Aldred.

"Suspicious" eh? Did rabid Doctor Who fans still bitter about the 1993 charity adventure descend on it with matches and parafin?

Si.

Default Cutty Sark burnt down

From the BBC

Fire rips through the Cutty Sark

Police are treating the fire as suspicious

Amateur footage
    A fire on board the famous 19th Century ship the Cutty Sark is now under control, the London fire brigade said.
    An area around the 138-year-old tea clipper was evacuated amid fears that gas cylinders were on board but it has been confirmed that none were present.

Greenwich town centre in south-east London has been closed to traffic and the Docklands Light Railway shut.

Police say they are treating the cause of the fire as suspicious and are currently analysing CCTV images.

The images are believed to show people in the area shortly before the fire started.

When you lose original fabric, you lose the touch of the craftsman, you lose history itself

Richard Doughty, Chief Executive of the Cutty Sark Trust

Eight fire engines were sent to tackle the fire which started at about 0500 BST.

The ship was undergoing 25m renovation works and was closed to visitors.

Speaking to BBC News the Chief Executive of the Cutty Sark Trust, Richard Doughty, said he feared what would be lost in the blaze.

"When you lose original fabric, you lose the touch of the craftsman, you lose history itself," he said.

"And what is special about Cutty Sark is the timbers, the iron frames, that went to the South China Seas, and to think that that is threatened in any way is unbelievable, it's an unimaginable shock."

He said the ship would be "irreplaceable".

He added that the Cutty Sark was not just an important part of maritime heritage but an important part of British identity.

Mr Doughty described the ship as the epitome of speed under sail.

The Cutty Sark is the world's oldest surviving tea clipper

An eyewitness, who saw the fire as she was driving across the Thames, said: "I can see all this smoke billowing out from round by where the Cutty Sark is.

"It was black, thick black smoke... as I've come over the bridge there's all police cars blocking the road and everyone's being diverted."

Residents living near the ship were evacuated from their homes and taken to a Greenwich hotel, Scotland Yard confirmed.

The conservation work was being carried out as sea salt had accelerated the corrosion of her iron framework.
    Sad really. We'll never be able to re-enact Dimensions in Time!

Possibly not the Who fans - but it's an horrific incident. I'm glad no-one seems to have been hurt though.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It only happened because some office had to close their Smoking Room and a worker was forced to smoke outside!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

What's tragic is that in that situation I've a feeling you'd seriously blame the Labour Party for the fire and not the smoker.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

I like the BBC's sensitive portrayal of this story with the tag "Smoke on the water".

They get more like the tabloid press each day!

Okay I'm jealous I didn't think of that one.

certainly not very good news

Can I be the first philistine to stick his head over the parapet and say, since nobody was hurt, it doesn't matter? It's an historic old boat, sure, but do we need it, no. 25 million renovation works seems, to me, an obscene waste of money.

It WAS 25 million - it'll be a lot more now.

At least it comes from Lottery cash and corporate donations. As long as it's not my taxes that are funding it.

Si.

I like boats.

Burn with me.

Quiet you.

Si.

I love messing about in water!

I just remembered. The old Priory burnt down!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!