Thread: Scott Walker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scott Walker

Who saw the BBC1 documentary on Scott last night. What an innovator the man still is-probably more so than years ago, except his music tends to be quite experimental and uncompromising. His voice is still beautiful though.The programme still presents him as a slightly reclusive enigma though,and the conversation was limited.

"Scott 4" is one of my favourite albums too...let's discuss Scott, and the Walker brothers too if you like!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 23rd May 2007 at 9:09 AM.

I watched half of it and taped the whole thing. Scott is one of my heroes. I'll come back later to say a bit more.

Pip Madeley Guest

I watched that last night too. I love his earlier solo work (Scotts 1 thru 4), especially his George Brel stuff (I love 'Jackie'), and of course 'The Walker Brothers', but I must say his more recent solo work... it's very stark and emotional, poetic even, but very unaccessible. It's a shame, because he does have an amazing voice, but I just couldn't get into 'The Drift' or 'Tilt'... nevertheless, I'm glad he's chosen his personal fulfilment over trying to please others/stardom. In my opinion the best thing he's done since 1975 is produce Pulp's We Love Life. But I would say that.

I only like "Jackie" after it was used in an episode of Absolutely Fabulous.

I'm so glad you discovered Scott, Pip. I remember a time when to you he was "just the producer of Pulp's last album" (and very good it is too).

Also..."Climate of hunter" from 1984 is meant to be interesting, although I've never heard it. You can no longer but "'Til the band comes in" or a few other '70s solo albums, as Scott thinks they're sell out crap and he won't allow them to be re-issued.

I'm spending my morning off listening to him, actually. That seems a constructive use of time to me.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 23rd May 2007 at 9:24 AM.

Pip Madeley Guest

T'were Mr Monk that got me listening to Scott properly. You can definitely see his influence on Jarvis. As you say though, he's blocking many reissues of his 70s LPs, so I haven't heard those... they played something off 'Climate of Hunter' on that show last night, it reminded me of Tony Banks from Genesis' solo work. Nobody will get that reference, but never mind.

A friend of mine has all Scott Walkers albums including the un re-issued ones. His verdict on the later albums is that they're all crap except for tilt which is interesting crap.

Can I just say as well that he was a cool dresser as well. In a geeky kind of way.
    And glad I got you into him Pip. I didn't realise I had

Pip Madeley Guest

He looked cool in those Dusty Springfield show clips. Wish I had his waistline.

And yes, you told me to get listening to Scotts 1-4, and I did.

Some of The Walker brothers albums are worth hearing too, although I've never heard "Night flights", which is meant to be a masterpiece.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've some of the Walker Brothers on this compilation, mixed with Scott's earlier solo work:

For me, Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore) is his/their peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I've some of the Walker Brothers on this compilation, mixed with Scott's earlier solo work:

For me, Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore) is his/their peak.
    Mmmm..it's good, but it's not his best in my humble little opinion. Although it is the first Scott/brothers song I ever heard so it's still quite special to me, and is a good song in it's own merit. Far better than most similar music from the time.
    I love Johny Marr's comments in the BBC programme about the Scott Walkers of the '60s being as much part of that musical soundtrack as "Ticket to ride" (as Marr put it). It fitted in so well with the 'kitchen sink' greyness of everyday life at the time, but transcended it as well- offering a kind of bohemian accomianment to the struggles. Life is epic, even when it's days are often not. Inside our heads it can often be made different. I do love music to soundtrack life and make it the beautiful (if sometimes monochrome) movie we fail to see it is, with us as the star.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Life is epic, even when it's days are often not. Inside our heads it can often be made different. I do love music to soundtrack life and make it the beautiful (if sometimes monochrome) movie we fail to see it is, with us as the star.
    Oh, you hippy you. That's quite a sweet thought, Carol.

"Make It Easy On Yourself" is currently on my media player.

WhiteCrow Guest

I've only heard a bit of Scott, but really been impressed by what I've heard, "the old man's back again" and "seventh seal" being two favourites.

The Old Man's Back Again has the coolest bassline ever.
    I'm listening to that compilation that Pip posted the cover of earlier. Its not bad. I really would like to hear more Walker Brothers stuff though because I don't know that many songs of theirs.
    Somewhere on tape I have the 70's album Lines but I don't remember much about it.

WhiteCrow Guest

Did anyone buy the 5 Easy Pieces set? I was thinking about doing that for a whle.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    The Old Man's Back Again has the coolest bassline ever.
    I love the strings on that one too.

Yes. The whole song is fantastic really.

The other cool thing about Scott is that he's in my vocal range so I can sing along to his tunes quite easily (although badly)

Pip Madeley Guest

Maybe you could go on Stars In Your Eyes next year?

Did you not see the bit I put in brackets?

Pip Madeley Guest

You seen some of the people on there?

Jarvis singing as Rolf Harris is the best thing that ever appeared on Stars in their Eyes.
    But I'm going off topic!

Pip Madeley Guest

But you're so right!

I was delighted when he won

Why has no-one put that clipon youtube yet?

THis guy won a episode of Stars in their Eyes as Scott Walker

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=58243155