Default Free DVD ripper (but hurry)

www.giveawayoftheday.com/ are giving away a very good looking DVD ripper/converter for nothing (normally $35). But because each download only lasts for 24 hours you have to download and install it within the next nine hours.

I've only just installed it and haven't quite figured out how to use it but there is plenty of time for that.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Pip Madeley Guest

Looks interesting, will give that a go. Thanks Lissa.

WhiteCrow Guest

Although you can download it, it's an unregistered version, meaning it only does the first 3 minutes.

Pip Madeley Guest

In the Recycle Bin it goes then. Unless there's a crack. But that's not up for discussion on these forums.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    In the Recycle Bin it goes then.
    Sorry - once you've used Setup.exe, you have to use Activate.exe which basically registers it for you for free - seems to work well.

Pip Madeley Guest

*long sigh*

*yanks it from the Recycle Bin*

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    *long sigh*

*yanks it from the Recycle Bin*
    I've downloaded similar "free" software before only to find it isn't and "trial" software is closer to the mark, gets annoying. But this does actually seem all bona fide.

Good news! Due to an error affecting last week's downloads, the DVD ripper (which I've now used and like immensely) is once more available - fully working and completely free - for the next 11 hours.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I thought this looked good, until two minutes ago when I tried to use it a second time and found that it is now apparently unregistered and is giving me watermarked scenes of less than three minutes' duration.

Pip Madeley Guest

Jason:

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Sorry - once you've used Setup.exe, you have to use Activate.exe which basically registers it for you for free - seems to work well.

Yup, did that. The day I downloaded it I did that, and proceeded to rip a DVD and edit together a short video absolutely perfectly, no trouble at all. Now today I come to do something with it again and it is suddenly unregistered and giving me watermarked three-minute stuff.

Pip Madeley Guest

Have you tried to run Activate.exe again? Perhaps you need to each time you use it.

The original download had a problem which is why they re-uploaded it. The second download didn't stop being registered after the first use.

But it's all academic now as the activation files are only valid for 24 hours so if it doesn't work now, it never will. That's how the site works - free stuff, brief window, get a buzz going about a product, theoretically more people will buy it.

#dammitbrent

Ah, I see. If I'd known that was the problem affecting the downloads I'd have gone back and re-downloaded it when I first read your message about it being available again.

Oh well, looks like their slightly devious marketing strategy may have worked. As I was impressed with it when it was working I might just buy it anyway.

Heeeeellllllllpppppp!!!!!!

I've been keeping an eye out for a DVD ripper for some time (though too late to get the last one).
    Giveaway of the Day have one today, but I can't get it to work.

Basically, I want to be able to take very short clips off DVDs that I own, so that I can make some video clips to use at school (mainly CSI clips for our forensic science course) which could be shown from a laptop via an interactive whiteboard.

Having failed with today's freebie I've scoured the web and found a lot of talk about Nero (Nero7 can be downloaded); another one called Free DVD ripper (clicky) and varous free editors.

Can I ask those teccies on here - what do you use ? How do you make those lovely comedy films of DW clips ? Am I going about this the wrong way ?

(and Mods - if this conversation falls foul of our forum rules, can you leave this post here so that people can PM me to reply, if that's OK)

Any help gratefully received
    Bazinga !

You can download the trial of AOA DVD Ripper which lets you copy as many clips as you want but with a 10 minute limit on each clip. It's easy to use and lets you save files in all the main formats.

I always edit movies using Magix. You can use Windows Movie Maker for basic editing - it should already be on your PC (Start -> Accessories -> Windows Movie Maker).

#dammitbrent

All you need to do is reverse the polarity of m'ultrasonic screwdriver, and eliminate the red shift. Then the invasion will succeed.

Si.

Thanks, Lissa. I'll give those a try

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    All you need to do is reverse the polarity of m'ultrasonic screwdriver, and eliminate the red shift. Then the invasion will succeed.

Si.
    And that's evidence of why we need proper science in New Series DW
    Bazinga !

Quiet, Meldrew!

Si.