View Poll Results: The Jon Pertwee Years - Yes or No?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - the finest hours of the show were in this time!

20 60.61%
  • No - just treading water until TB arrived

13 39.39%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    As much as I lkike the 3rd Doctor, I voted no partly for this reason and also because to to many of his stories featured The Master, and became very pridictable and boring.
    [cough] What he said. [cough]

Ooh eight stories in five years! It's just too much to cope with!

Si.

It's nice to see that by the voting on this thread there's a lot of affection on the board for the Pertwee era

Though I don't agree with the wording that his were the finest hours of the show, I did vote yes to give the era a positive affirmation. I stand beside Si Hunt's comments on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Why, you're welcome, sir!

...and what's wth all this Katy Manning loathing from certain quarters?! Jo Grant is a personal favourite of mine. I practice saying "I'm your new assistant" in the mirror all the time*

*...not actually true, but I might try it now!
    and are you an expert in escapology?

Only arsked!

I agree with the first statement more than the secod out of those offered - although I'd say his time only contained some of the best moments, rather than all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    I agree with the first statement more than the secod out of those offered - although I'd say his time only contained some of the best moments, rather than all of them.
    Yes it was a very loaded question!

I voted yes

Although I grew up watching Tom Baker as the Doctor I do like Jon Pertwee as well I thought there were a lot of good stories in his era, in particular I really like the UNIT stories
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Quote Originally Posted by Thasc View Post
    I voted yes

Although I grew up watching Tom Baker as the Doctor I do like Jon Pertwee as well I thought there were a lot of good stories in his era, in particular I really like the UNIT stories
    Nothing to do with you being madly in love with Delgado at all?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

No of course not LP, what ever gave you such an idea

No of course not LP, what ever gave you that idea

Oops sorry you got that in duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Thasc View Post
    Oops sorry you got that in duplicate
    You know I'll take anything you have to give!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Ooh eight stories in five years! It's just too much to cope with!

Si.
    More like eight stories within the space of three years! Which, if it were any other villain, would be too much - it'd just seem like bland repetition. But the Master's so fun to watch that I really don't mind.

"Sticky tape on the windows, that sort of thing!"
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

Hurrah!

Si.

DrWho2150 Guest

The Pertwee Years were great especially with the Brig and the Delgado Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho2150 View Post
    The Pertwee Years were great especially with the Brig and the Delgado Master
    This poster speaks sense!

Don't be silly, Ralph.

I'm enjoying them immensely at the moment.

WhiteCrow Guest

I feel all the stories feel a bit samey.

I notice people stick up for Jon Pertwee, but can anyone name a true classic and iconic Jon Pertwee story? Well I'll imagine you'll all say "Inferno", so I'll say "name two"!

I prefer Ambassadors of Death to Inferno any day. I also think The Time Monster is great too

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I feel all the stories feel a bit samey.

I notice people stick up for Jon Pertwee, but can anyone name a true classic and iconic Jon Pertwee story? Well I'll imagine you'll all say "Inferno", so I'll say "name two"!

Ok, off the top of my head...

Spearhead from space
    Doctor Who and the silurians
    The Ambassadors of death
    Terror of the Autons
    The Daemons
    Day of the Daleks
    The sea Devils
    The Time Warrior

Great, well written stories. All classic and iconic in my opinion, and they proved popular with the general viewing public too and practically define the UNIT days. I can't believe there's a complete five years of Doctor Who that you don't like anything of, with stories such as those. Makes me wonder if you actually like Dr. Who to be honest! Maybe it's Pertwee you don't like- who knows, but saying the stories aren't true classics is a bit much. I find them no more or less 'samey' than other eras of the show.

I'm not overly keen on parts of Sylvester's era, but I'd never say that the whole three years were crap. With stories like "Remembrance of the Daleks", "The curse of Fenric" and "Ghostlight" I'd be a fool to say so!

Easy. "Planet of the Spiders" fulfils all the requirements of a classic - it's epic, a really intricate and thoughtful script, has great monsters and is still remembered by people of a certain age. "The Green Death" practically defines a classic story. I also happen to think "The Time Warrior" is a classic - first appearance of the Sontarans, brilliant script, very well made. Add to that "Day of the Daleks", "The Daemons" obviously, certainly "Spearhead from Space", and those are just the all-time greats.

No offence to Mr White Crow, but I'm surprised someone of his "generation" (oh ok then, age!) has to ask - once upon a time, it was acknowledged that Jon's era was loaded with classics. Since the backlash (inevitable as that most fashionably dated of era's reached the video age) a lot of those have been debunked in the way Troughton's missing era never can be. But the stories remain the same, and despite trends, tales like "Spiders", "Spearhead" and "The Daemons" are as deserving of classic status as "The Web of Fear", "Pyramids of Mars" and "Caves of Androzani", regardless of current tastes and trends.

This is not a matter of opinion (I'm not a big fan of "Pyramids" myself); there are some stories which are iconic within the canon. The ones that thrilled generations of kids, that fandom grew up seeing them as representations of the era. Vintage favourites, etched onto the minds of millions... and Jon's era has plenty.

Si.

Hear hear Si!

I may be say here at home with a fever, but at least common bench is prevailing...hmmm...eh what, child?...common sense I say! That is what I said....I need to lie down.

Perhaps a more appropriate quote for Mr White Crow would be -

"Now let me explain this to you in very simple terms!"

Si.

Even more average stories such as Claws Of Axos, Carnival Of Monsters, Curse Of Peladon, and Frontier In Space (among others) stand head and shoulders above many stories from other eras, with their memorable monsters and exciting storylines. It's really only in a few of the 6-parters where the story is drawn out past it's natural length that the era suffers (Colony In Space etc). A few less six-parters and a few more four-parters, and this would possibly have been a more fondly-remembered era in the eyes of it's detractors.

It's my favourite era, though!