Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Wayne Guest

I bought the Complete Royle Family box set from HMV for 13.49 & got 23.55 for it on eBay.

Ah, it was just a mix of things...someone left what I feel is an unfair negative feedback without emailing me first, and now despite the fact that I sent him a replacement game, he's refusing to remove the negative. Plus I had two people point blank refuse to pay for something, which added up to a total of 35, plus there's been someone who's claiming he never received something even though I sent it recorded delivery, and he sent it back to me claiming he didn't want it anymore, and wants a full refund and not the game now anyway.

I sometimes love Ebay. But sometimes it makes me very very angry...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I sold a load of those Classic Marvel Figurine Collection part works at the end of October, including six which were bought by somebody in Canada. He emailed me a few weeks ago to say that he had still not received them. I told him that they had definitely been sent, and that hopefully he should receive them.

He's emailed me again today to say that they have still not turned up. This is rather worrying as it's now at least six weeks since they were posted. They were sent via surface mail which I know takes longer (in fact, the Post Office site says it takes up to six weeks to send to North America), but surely they shouldn't have taken this long to arrive?

He's asked if I could check at my end, but unfortunately (and rather foolishly) I no longer have proof of posting. The only thing I know is that I took them to the post office on 3rd November - somehow I don't think this is enough for the Post Office to check their records with.

The buyer has said that he's bought things from the UK since my auctions, and he's already received them. I don't think he's trying it on, as he seems genuine, he's got a pretty good feedback rating, and he's always been polite and friendly in his emails. But I really don't know what to do. I can't really go to the Post Office without proof of posting, and I certainly don't want to offer a refund. Anyone have any suggestions?

Past experience has told me that Surface mail from the UK to Canada can take a long time - specially with Christmas coming. Whereabouts in Canada is it being sent to? If it's going to the west coast it could add a week or two to the delivery time (I'm over on the east coast, and when we sent documents over to the west coast we would regularly hear of claim forms and similar documents taking up to 2 weeks to get there)....
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

It's going to Winnipeg, Phil.

What sort of delivery times have you experienced when sending stuff from the UK to Canada by surface mail?

Well, Winnipeg's about halfway across the country (it's one time zone later than us) so you're probably looking at a few days longer (maybe half a week) then it would to get to where I am.

I usually use air mail as it's faster, but when sending surface mail it would usually take about 6-8 weeks to get there - Krystal once sent out a parcel by surface in the middle of October, and it didn't get to me until about a week before Christmas...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

The buyer has said that he's bought things from the UK since my auctions, and he's already received them. I don't think he's trying it on, as he seems genuine, he's got a pretty good feedback rating, and he's always been polite and friendly in his emails. But I really don't know what to do. I can't really go to the Post Office without proof of posting, and I certainly don't want to offer a refund. Anyone have any suggestions?
    What standard of postage did you offer in the auction description and what standard did he pay for? Is there tracibility with surface mail anyway? I don't think there is - proof of posting simply proves you've sent it, it doesn't enable you to track an item or get compensation if it gets lost.

Assuming he's only paid for the basic form of postage, then you should explain to him that you sent it off but that you have no responsibility for ensuring the postal service deliver it; he can't expect to pay for the cheapest form of delivery, and and still have the luxury of a tracked item.

However, as it's going to Canada (and as it's Christmas) I would suggest to him that he give it at least 8-10 weeks to get there.

In future, I would include an option in your auction for recorded delivery/airmail (or what ever the tracked form of international postage is called) then if people don't take it up, at least you can say "you should have paid more for tracked delivery".

Si.

Eey, my 1/6th scale Fender Stratocaster arrived today. My Action Man is starting to look like some kind of '50s rocker!

At last, Lungbarrow is now mine!

Having fought to win two Doomwatch tapes for 20 not long ago, I've now won the ultra-rare DVD for the ungodly price of, um...2.50...

Boo. I got outbid on Seinfeld series 4. It only went for 14.50 in the end too.

Still, hopefully lots of people who hate the show will get it for xmas, and then it'll sell for tiny amounts in about a weeks time!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I don't think there is - proof of posting simply proves you've sent it, it doesn't enable you to track an item or get compensation if it gets lost
    I think you can still claim compensation, can't you. It won't help find where the item is, but you should be able to claim on the loss from the Post Office.

Nope. Otherwise there'd be no point in anyone doing recorded delivery, with costs more and provides insurance up to 32.

Something else you might not know - if you do recorded delivery, and claim insurance, you have to prove the item cost less than the 32 it's insured for, via a receipt. If your receipt shows it's worth MORE, bizarrely you don't get a penny!

Si.

We-ell, the forms on the royal Mail site would suggest that as long as you've got just Proof of Posting you can put in a claim. Forms available from here

I'm interested myself since some of the wrestling videos I sent out last week (14th in fact) haven't arrived, so I'm almost certainly going to have to refund the buyer and then claim off the PO.
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 24th Dec 2006 at 11:32 AM.

I'm interested myself since some of the wrestling videos I sent out last week (14th in fact) haven't arrived, so I'm almost certainly going to have to refund the buyer and then claim off the PO.
    I'd wait a little longer Andrew, the Christmas period means the PO goes all odd, some things I sent on the 11th only arrived yesterday, whilst things posted on the 19th arrived the next day...Their service just goes completley doolally over this period, basically!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Yes, that's pretty much what I thought, but the buyer in question keeps on emailing saying he's had such & such posted more recently arrive, and still not mine. I'll certainly give it to the New Year and see what happens.

Tell him to be patient. I would make any buyer wait at least 14 days before I chased anything up.

Si.

I won a couple of Sci-fi novels.
    Cities In Flight by James Blish - one of the 'SF Masterworks'. Ooo!
    The Reproductive System by John Sladek.
    Cost about 6 all in for the two. Ebay may yet prove to be a gold mine for dodgy SF!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

I haven't bought anything off eBay for ages, but i was just lucky enough to nab both complete series' of 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads', new for 5.99 each on 'Buy it Now' auctions that had only been up a few hours.
    Ok, 1.50 for each set on postage, but i've asked for a discount.
    But even if i end up paying full wack on postage i'm happy with that, because these aren't cheap, even on-line.
    Last edited by Wayne; 16th Jan 2007 at 11:29 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

That's good!

(I won't bother putting you know what in the post then )

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    That's good!

(I won't bother putting you know what in the post then )
    Ha! Just messaged you.
    Someone else might like it?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I haven't bought anything off eBay for ages, but i was just lucky enough to nab both complete series' of 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads', new for 5.99 each on 'Buy it Now' auctions that had only been up a few hours.
    Ok, 1.50 for each set on postage, but i've asked for a discount.
    But even if i end up paying full wack on postage i'm happy with that, because these aren't cheap, even on-line.
    He knocked me a quid off, so i've got both Complete Series' for a total of 13.98.
    Thelma's coming home!

Pip Madeley Guest

That's about the same I paid (7.99 for series 1 at WHSmith, 4.99 for series 2 at CD-WOW) - nice work!

S.I.G Captain Jefferies

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post

S.I.G Captain Jefferies

Remember 'Captain Swing'?

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh aye, my wit was taking a holiday, having run off with my memory.