WhiteCrow Guest

Default Rediscover a classic ...

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for films you used to love and have just rediscovered.

For us thanks to 2 at Woolworths, Time Bandits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Bandits

My son absolutely loved it. There's something about kids films which can date horrendously. Somehow you always know this is a kids film, but there's so much more in there.

Where do you start? The idea of the film is clever, allowing a kid with his group of dwarf/midget desperadoes to go around different time zones looting history. The script is really slick, with plenty of comedy.

And then there's the cast. Even now, there's not many you'll not recognise instantly. Special mention probably has to go to David Warner as Ultimate Evil, a man who can really get his teeth into evil roles, and David Rappaport who excels as the leader of the Time Bandits (it's a shame we never got to see him in Star Trek:Next Gen).

I love Time Bandits!
    I remember it being one of those films that was repeated fairly often when I as younger. I may have to invest in a copy of it, as I've not seen it for years now.

It was filmed just up the road from one of my libraries... well the bit on the housing estate anyway. I really liked it when i was a kid, but I haven't seen it for many a year now.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It was filmed just up the road from one of my libraries... well the bit on the housing estate anyway. I really liked it when i was a kid, but I haven't seen it for many a year now.

Si xx
    Woolworths ... 2 ... money well spent!

Esp if you're not feeling too well. Night in with Time Bandits and "something nice", might be a remedy!

How long have you been a robber?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I remember being a bit freaked out and upset about the ending when I first saw it. Good film though, a childhood favourite.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    I remember being a bit freaked out and upset about the ending when I first saw it. Good film though, a childhood favourite.
    Yes - although it is very Roald Dahl to have parents who are absolutely useless and who you're better off without.

Whats so surprising looking at it is it doesnt need a "Special Edition" for it to supe up the effects, because all the special effects work well, and it's not so much effects driven as driven by plot and character.

Bows down to Time Bandits. Used to be able to quote/act it out in full. Haven't seen it for a while though, but yes, every child should be given a copy of it for Christmas