Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet Another Sun "Exclusive" (We're doomed!)

Your Super Soaraway Sun delivers another Doctor Who Exclusive!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...250185,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Sun
    Doctor Who to get axe in 2008
    By GORDON SMART
    Deputy Showbiz Editor
    May 31, 2007

HIT show Doctor Who will be EXTERMINATED next year — after the fourth series.

Boss Russell T. Davies has decided to axe the BBC1 sci-fi drama and concentrate on other projects.

He and senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008.

A source said: “The heavy workload — nine months of 16-hour days every year — has started to take its toll.

“It was decided the best thing for the show was go out at the top next year.”

Davies was behind the relaunch of Doctor Who in 2005 — 16 years after it was originally axed.

The series, starring David Tennant as the Time Lord, is watched by eight million every Saturday.

EX Doctor Who star Billie Piper, 24, is due to get her divorce decree nisi from DJ Chris Evans, 41, at the High Court today.
    Didn't they print a similar story a few months ago/last year?

Who is this Gordon Smart character?* He might want to think about changing his surname!

* is Sara Nathan too busy foaming all over Big Brother?

WhiteCrow Guest

Hmmm - well I think RTD has always said he only wanted to do so many TV series before moving on to something else. And there's been a lot of talk of Tennant moving on (as all Doctors do eventually).

But the assumption has always been that the reigns of the show would be passed on to someone else.

Much as I love RTDs take on the show (and I really do), it's the type of show that can be endlessly reinvented so it would be incredibly short sighted to cancel it if he leaves. But then I would say that.

I think The Sun is just making sensationalist headlines (The Sun? Never!). I take everything they print with a huge pinch of salt. If they printed a story saying the night would follow the day, I would look elsewhere for a backup story before believing it!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

It's like they think fans of the show are just having it too good. Let's spread some doom, misery and depression.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    But the assumption has always been that the reigns of the show would be passed on to someone else.
    Assumption by whom?

Make way for a naval officer!

Assumption by whom?
    Us, fans, people on here.

Si.

I see. I just wondered if anyone meant the BBC.

The Sun have printed stories before, some of which have turned out to be true and some of which haven't.

This story of a "4-years and out" has been doing the rounds for ages.

It's not worth putting any stock in it until there's a BBC press release.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well you won't get one of them.

No one ever got to the bottom of "Doctor Who Productions" registered to RTD, Collinson and Andy Prior did they?

Well you won't get one of them.
    Not in answer to the Sun's requests, obviously, but perhaps they'll announce S4 as the fourth and final season of Doctor Who.

No one ever got to the bottom of "Doctor Who Productions" registered to RTD, Collinson and Andy Prior did they?
    try harder.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Can someone explain "Doctor Who Productions"? I must have missed that one.

Si.

You did, it's never been mentioned on this forum before. A quick search reveals four threads in The New Series containing the word 'Productions', including this one.

Although ostensibly New Doctor Who appears to be made inhouse by BBC Wales, anyone working to the programme are actually contracted to the mysterious Doctor Who Productions.

A quick search at companies house reveals that it's directors are Andy Pryor, RTD, and Phil Collinson.

The accounts for the year ended June 2006 were filed at the end of last month and show turnover up from 1.22 million (14 months to June 2005) to 2.18 million. Torchwood obviously adding to the coffers.

Some people have suggested that it is some kind of non-profit cooperative to avoid certain taxes, but no other in-house BBC programme is set up like this. It certainly seems like an independant production company.

Truth is, other than the fact that it exists, no one really knows what the details are.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Assumption by whom?
    I'm sure I've read RTD say that he'd do so many seasons then step aside.

I'm actually hoping this story is true.

there may actually be some truth in this story as it would tally with what Jill Tranter, said a while back that the BBC would not continue with Doctor Who when RTD decided to go.

My favourite BBC Exec is Jill Tranter.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

If they killed off Doctor Who, it would be a very sad day for Planet Skaro.

But I can't see it happening anytime soon.

to me it would seem incredibly short sighted of the BBC if they decided to axe Doctor Who, RTD & co have done a fantastic job but I'm sure that there are other producers/writers who can do just as good a job.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/be...9a/compdetails

Unfortunately you have to pay to get anymore details.

Famefilms, hmmmm?

I see that link is rubbish - must depend on cookies - doh!

Anyway their company number is 05091732

So just put that in the box.
    Last edited by Nathan; 31st May 2007 at 3:21 PM.

Media Guardian report:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...092376,00.html

Doctor Who boss may regenerate
    Ben Dowell
    Thursday May 31, 2007
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

The BBC has insisted that the future of Doctor Who's executive producer, Russell T Davies, "has not yet been decided" in spite of reports today that he will quit the hit show after the next series.

A BBC drama spokeswoman said that Mr Davies has signed up to oversee this year's Doctor Who Christmas special and 2008's fourth series.

However, she added that his involvement with Doctor Who after that has not been confirmed.

"Discussions have not begun so we cannot say if Russell will be involved or not," she said.

A senior BBC Wales drama source told MediaGuardian.co.uk that Mr Davies may be preparing to leave the show.

"Russell has always said that he wouldn't be with the show forever and he has made no secret that the hours are quite exhausting," the insider said.

"But there isn't any way it would be axed even if he left. He loves the show and he does feel that maybe it would benefit from some new blood."

Today's Sun claimed that the show will be axed after the fourth series because of the decision by Mr Davies to quit as executive producer.

The Sun reported that Mr Davies and "senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008 and that the show will end after series four".

It quoted a "source" who said that Mr Davies had become fed up over an exhausting workload of 16-hour days nine months a year.

Mr Davies has been the creative driving force behind the Doctor Who revival, which has been a resounding critical and ratings success, and his departure would be a blow for the BBC.

As executive producer he has taken on a "show runner" role, overseeing all creative aspects of the drama and in particular leading the team of Doctor Who writers, as well as scripting individual episodes himself.

The showrunner role is common on long running US TV drama and comedy series, but not often seen in the UK.

However, if Mr Davies does leave Doctor Who, the BBC will want to keep such a popular show going by bringing in a new executive producer to take over his creative responsibilities.

of course one possible idea could be to rest Doctor Who for two years to allow Rtd to go off and do some thing else then he could come back to do another couple of series.

Looking at the credits for Human Nature, I see Phil Collinson has now become Executive Producer, giving his old role to Susie Liggat. Stage 1 maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Looking at the credits for Human Nature, I see Phil Collinson has now become Executive Producer, giving his old role to Susie Liggat. Stage 1 maybe...
    It was only for that production block.