Thread: Little BRITAIN

Default Little BRITAIN

I thought there was a thread for this but it must be on the old "golden era" forum

Anyway while I was catching up with friends in Skarasen land (Inverness) they had the series 1-3 boxset of this which they've lent to me. I'd only ever seen brief glimpses of this on TV but thought it probably wasn't my thing however now I reckon I'm becoming hooked on it's total political incorrectness

It really is rather good and I love Tom's hilarious delivery of the commentary too - great stuff! I've found as I get to know the characters it just gets funnier, at first some sketches I just found stupid and didn't quite get it but now.... The guy in the wheelchair...the fat club...

Wayne Guest

I think it's shit, But there you go. Humour is subjective isn't it.

Dave Lewis Guest

What Wayne said, but with more profane invective about how so many great ideas were over used and then dragged around a field of shit and then used again by two previously very amusing gentlemen. Rock Profiles easily pisses all over all of Little Britain, and then drinks several pints of water, and pisses on it again. And again. And again. Then it looks at the good bits of the first series of Little Britain, withdraws some piss, then looks at the next two series, and re-iterates its pissing, with some additional poo.

Wayne Guest

@Dave!

I'm only posting in this thread to set up a Front Page Fannies gag.

I'd rate it as patchy. Some of it's good, some not so, with a tendency to flog even their best ideas to death, although even the later episodes have the occasional nugget in them. Rock Profile was better though.

I agree it can be patchy at times but from what I've seen so far there's some pretty good stuff - the version I'm watching is unedited, maybe that helps

Pip Madeley Guest

I like Little Britain. I own all their DVDs, even the Comic Relief ones. Woop.

I've got the Dvd of the first series, which I really enjoyed, but Series 2 and 3 were a bit rubbishy I thought.

I agree with Dave Lewis and Martin Penny. The first series was great. Funny, clever and slight un-pc. For series 2 and 3 they ignored funny and clever and concentrated on un-pc. Shock for shocks sake is not funny. Its a shame because they both talented comedy performers. I suspect that they got caught up in the popularity of it all and realised they were onto a good thing and just got lazy.

I agree with Dave Lewis, Martin Penny and Paul Monk! There are moments in series two that I don't mind too much (though it's normally the non un-pc sketches), but by season 3 it'd just become a mess.

If it was anyone else I'd probably be quite critical, but Walliams and Lucas have been doing this for so long now and created a lot of great comedy that was largely ignored (including the rather odd but really enjoyable Asylum, with Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson, that I've just managed to get my hands on), that I don't mind them cashing in on LB. But only if they go on to do something new and original again, it'd be horrible to see them follow down the path of even grosser comedy.

I suppose they are aware that it can go horribly wrong really quickly in tv land too. Vic and Bob were going from strength to strength with The Smell Of..., Bang Bang and of course Shooting Stars, and then they make one series of the (actually excellent but hardly watched) Catterick and now their careers seem to really be on the ropes...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Vic and Bob were going from strength to strength with The Smell Of..., Bang Bang and of course Shooting Stars, and then they make one series of the (actually excellent but hardly watched) Catterick and now their careers seem to really be on the ropes...
    If the Beeb had let Vic and Bob develop another sketch show, instead of forcing them to do more and more Shooting Stars, that might've been very different... Vic's still doing lots of stuff though, like Brainiac and a forthcoming BBCR2 panel game called 'Does The Team Think...' which originally ran in the 1970s.

Bob on the other hand has been writing Tittybangbang and writing a novel with Charlie Higson, but he suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, which gives him great pain when he is stressed, so I guess he's happy to take it easy now.

Having watched the first 4 episodes of Series 2, this is definitely good for many belly laughs

We are ladies, Computer says No, Bitty, Only Gay in the Village, Lady DeVere at the Healthclub,Village Fete sketches and as mentioned earlier Fat Club and the Wheelchair sketches are great!

Not so keen on the gay civil servant, the scottish hotlelier with the flute and the lunatic one (though it is an absurd grower)

Haven't seen series 3 but from comments here, I expect it runs out of steam. Series 2 though I think is excellent comedy!

I love "computer says no" and I try to emulate her when dealing with customers at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I love "computer says no" and I try to emulate her when dealing with customers at work!
    I know lenders I've tried to place mortgages with that are like that! The computer declines the application for some absurd reason and no human can intervene!

Oh and I love the university administrator who describes students on the phone

My favourite "We are l-a-d-i-e-s (we have no testeclae)" sketch is the one where they go to get fitted for the Wedding outfits

I've been killing myself over the two "bitty" sketches I've seen where the fiance meets the parents and the meal out sketch

Only Gay in the village - fave bit is the fate when the old dear says to the local Vicar "I've said it before and I'll say it again what that boy needs is a good **** **** ** *** ****

I know it was on the Timelash thread that you mentioned liking the bit where Paul Darrow gets vomited on...but did you notice he was wearing a thick pair of glasses for that? No coincidence, I'll bet.