Default What season do you want in a box set?

Haven't got the magazine to hand, but TV Zone has reported whole box sets being released/developed.
    The Trial of A Time Lord mentioned....
    And now The Key To Time is confirmed...
    So... What seasons would you like to see released?
    Could you fit all three Sylvester McCoy seasons onto one box?
    Or how about Tom Baker's first season?...
    (Think very carefully Dino, your credibility as a fan hangs on your next statement-The Master.)
    ...you know, Season 14?
    Be a bit of a downer for those who bought Robot and all the others...
    I'm holding onto my money until I find out if it's true.
    Jon Pertwee's first year?

I'd only get one for a season that hasn't had anything released yet, which I reckon narrows it down to 9, 11, 16, 23 & 24.

From that, I'm going to disregard 11 in fact as Time Warrior has been announced, likewise 16 as that has been confirmed. And 23 would surely come out in one set anyway.

Out of the two left, I'd say S9 at a pinch, the reason being that it would force me to buy Mutants and Time Monster, which I'd really struggle with if I had to buy them individually!

I'm trying not to think of S24 on shiny disc!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post

I'm trying not to think of S24 on shiny disc!
    Delta amd the Bannermen... with an in-vision commentary from Ken Dodd!
    ....any one?.........

Delta amd the Bannermen... with an in-vision commentary from Ken Dodd!
    That'd probably be quite entertaining!

As a dedicated box-set fetishist, I'd love to see lots of Season Box Sets. The most coherent one would probably be Season 18, though the culmination of the themes (Castrovalva) would wind up in another set!

I'd even like to see a Season 5 box set, with a book of telesnaps, audio CDs and cartoon versions of the missing episodes! *dreams*
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Season 6b.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Season 6b.
    You'd best buy "Players" and "World Game" then, as that's effectively it (so far at least, unless you also count the Three/Five/Two Doctors).

Pip Madeley Guest

Well the Two Doctors definitely counts, as World Game leads directly into it. The Five Doctors must do too, because the Second Doctor is aware of Zoe and Jamie's minds being wiped at the conclusion of The War Games. The Three Doctors could be set before 'The War Games', but definitely not before 'The Invasion', as he recognises Benton and calls Lethbridge-Stewart 'Brigadier'.

Since most seasons have actually had something released, I'm not sure there's any I'd want to see released, especially not if they were re-releasing material they'd already issued and this would be the only way to get hold of the stories not so far released.
    I'm mostly against the idea of Doctor Who season boxsets anyway, because they're too expensive in one hit.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm mostly against the idea of Doctor Who season boxsets anyway, because they're too expensive in one hit.

Si xx
    I thought it would be a kick in the teeth for people who have bought previously released stories again, although The Key To Time would work.
    Should I stop paying too much attention to TV Zone?

They have said theat they'd be concentrating on getting some of the seasons that ahve had bits and pieces released already finished so that then they could be re-released as season boxsets, so who knows, maybe they got the wrong end of the stick?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think a season 24 boxset would make those stories more enticing than they would be on their own, providing of course that the considerable extras potential isn't diminished by releasing them all together!

Other than that I generally prefer the individual releases.

like Si, i'm not to keen on season box set releases and am more than happy for 2/entertain to just continue with the double / triple Dvd box sets.

I'm hoping for a "Spring" or "Summer" boxed set...

Ho.

This is TV Zone getting the wrong end of the stick - they've already stated they are merely intending to repackage existing releases into box sets when every story from any season has come out. This is further backed up by the sudden rush to release below-par stories from almost-complete seasons ("Timelash", "Time Flight" etc). But someone has inexplicably jumped to the conclusion that they're going to be bundling existing releases and new releases into the same box sets.

2Entertain arn't stupid, and are well aware of the somewhat obsessive and "dedicated" fanbase for the DVD's (they have a representitive monitoring the RT forum) and wouldn't want to piss off a large section of their customer base. Anyway, even if they did do it, the stories would come out individually eventually so it wouldn't matter if fans had an iota of patience (see Region 1"Key To Time" for more details).

Si.

But someone has inexplicably jumped to the conclusion that they're going to be bundling existing releases and new releases into the same box sets.

2Entertain arn't stupid, and are well aware of the somewhat obsessive and "dedicated" fanbase for the DVD's (they have a representitive monitoring the RT forum) and wouldn't want to piss off a large section of their customer base. Anyway, even if they did do it, the stories would come out individually eventually
    I would guess that like all box sets pretty much, the titles would all be available both seperately and in the box set right from go. Those who already had the other DVD's would get to purchase just the new release, and fans who didn't have all the DVD's would be tempted to purchase the box to get savings over what the price would be seperately. They would do well following that pattern in the US where box sets rule and take up all the shelf space.

Of course boxed sets can be linked thematically rather than chronologically, so if there were related tales it wouldn't be beyond reasonable doubt to think they might come out this way.

And popcorn.

I think actually they've said they won't release non-chronolical stories in the same set missus. Fans get damp if they have to choose between the slipcase and having them out of order on the shelf or something.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I enjoy having a different story from each era every month or two, for me, whole season box sets would take a lot of the fun out of collecting the DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I think actually they've said they won't release non-chronolical stories in the same set missus. Fans get damp if they have to choose between the slipcase and having them out of order on the shelf or something.

Si.
    Steve Roberts has specifically said the opposite on OG last week.

He would, the contrary old cow!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    Steve Roberts has specifically said the opposite on OG last week.
    well for a start it would get to a point where it would be impossible not to release double or tripple pack stories that are not conssecutive stories personaly I can't understand peoples problem on this.

it would get to a point where it would be impossible not to release double or tripple pack stories that are not conssecutive stories
    Why?

Si.

If I were doing a box set, I would put in it:

The War Machines
    The Tenth Planet
    Ambassadors of Death
    Destiny of the Daleks
    Creature from the Pit
    Nightmare of Eden
    Horns of Nimon

And I would call it "The Wombat Wants These NOW" Box Set.

If this set, for some bizarre reason, doesn't get 2E rushing to the RT to commission full restoration and a jam packed extras package, then I have no idea what possibly could...!