Default David Burton- The Next Doctor Who!?!

More nineties nostalgia now!
    Remember in the early nineties, DWM (yes,it was them) reported with a very raised eyebrow, about a man opening fetes who was driving a car with "David Burton-The Next Doctor Who" printed on the sides? You couldn't make it up! He was reported to be in discussion with the BBC, only to be "mysteriously" unavailable for comment in the following months! You shouldn't mock the afflicted, but come on, prime target! Does anyone know any more details of this frankly deluded individual? He had longish silver hair and sometime wore glasses and a beard. Does he lurk this very site? If so, Davey man, what the hell were you thinking?

Pip Madeley Guest

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Who?
    So say everyone else! I'll never forget opening the magazine to be confronted by a picture of him beaming, unable to believe his luck. DWM even did a small interview with him a few months later! Am sure there was a follow up story saying he was in trouble with the law, is there a DWM archive online?
    Just remembered him now. Why he floats around in my subconsious I'll never know but still, it's a true story.

Twin companions Heart and Diamond was the best idea ever!

Si.

I remember the interview and can still picture the photo of him in my mind's eye. He looked like someone's pervy old uncle.

Wasn't it to be called "Doctor Who and the Monsters of Ness"?

Very bizzare. Someone's idea of an elaborate joke I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I remember the interview and can still picture the photo of him in my mind's eye. He looked like someone's pervy old uncle.

Imagine how the Doctor/Rose storyline would have been played out?
    Glad it's not just me who remembers/was scarred by those photographs.
    He had to have a huge pair of balls to think he could get away with it though.
    I'll give him that.

I'm sure we had a thread about him on the old PS. Didn't he have a car sponsered by his local garage on loan to him because he was the Doctor Who or something?

It's be interesting to see the pilot. Rumour at the time suggested he was in the pilot of the show made by JNT's Teynham Productions (or am I remembering wrong? It's a long time ago). It was certainly all very odd!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

And here he is.

I've found his website! He's still working! Oh my!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Thought I recognised him, he played Albert Steptoe in the recent touring play Murder At Oil Drum Lane.

He reminds me of:

Pip Madeley Guest

I would've said more:

He was a slightly dodgy bloke who lived just round the corner from Alex. He used to write a column in a local paper and we spent lots of time following him and staking him out. As an actor I think he was a bit rubbish.
    The only things I've seen him in recently was as one of the line up on Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
    Oh and the car was a Proton car which he'd persuaded a local car dealership to give/lend him on the strength of his Doctor Who claim. So not only did he raise his profile slightly by making the claim but he also got a free car. I think its not the only time he's claimed to be Dr Who either.
    I think he's been claiming that since Tom Baker left.