Thread: Genesis

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Too old, too bad, too Welsh.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Two hearts, living in just one mind...

Pip Madeley Guest

There's a promotional website for the forthcoming Genesis album reissues (in SACD/5.1 Surround), with a track from each of the first five albums they're releasing (76-81)... and the difference in the earlier tracks is quite amazing. Squonk sounds like it was recorded yesterday, even compared to the 'Definitive Remasters' from the early 90s... drums sounds much better, specially the snare drum and cymbals, the bass pedal work sounds immense... Ant will be made up!

A definite purchase for me, even if I have to buy a SACD player just to hear them - I'm totally sold, Nick Davis has worked miracles.

Good grief Pip- I see what you mean and agree entirely- Squonk sounds marvellous!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've a certain fondness for And Then There Were Three, it's really the only Genesis album I know. I'm glad to see the albums will be available seperately so I may consider getting this one.

Pip Madeley Guest

They're releasing each album as an CD/SACD - one side of the disc is Audio CD, containing brand new stereo remixes by Nick Davis, the other Super Audio CD side features the new remixes in 5.1 (Dolby Surround/DTS), along with DVD content relevant to the time. The big box set of the first 5 albums features a bonus SACD with all the b-sides from the era (newly remixed of course), and an extra bonus DVD per album of some rare material - makes the box a definite for me. Here's the listings:

Bonus CD/SACD (CD Stereo / SACD stereo / SACD 5.1 Surround Sound)

1. Paperlate (from E.P 3X3, 1982)
    2. Evidence of Autumn (B-side to Misunderstanding 1980)
    3. Pigeons (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    4. You might Recall (from E.P. 3X3 1982)
    5. Naminanu (B-side to Keep It Dark 1981)
    6. Inside and Out (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    7. Vancouver (Part of Double B-side to Many Too Many 1978)
    8. Me and Virgil (from E.P. 3X3 1982)
    9. It's Yourself (B-side to Your Own Special Way - 1977)
    10. Match of the Day (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    11. Open Door (B-side to Duchess 1980)
    12. The Day the Light Went Out (B-side to Many Too Many 1978)
    13. Submarine (B-side to Man On The Corner 1982)

Bonus DVD

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (24bit/48K) / DTS 5.1 Surround Sound (24bit / 96K) mixes of all the tracks above

1. Paperlate Video
    2. Reissues Interview 2007
    As well as containing each of the five remastered albums in jewel cases, this lavish box set also has an exclusive case bound 48 page booklet featuring newly written essays and a bonus CD/SACD + DVD featuring rarities and b-sides and never seen before videos.

Worth 82.99* of any Genesis fan's money.

*the price from the Genesis webshop, I'm trying to find it cheaper!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been price-checking and the cheapest is 70.99 at Foxy - but I know they do a "5 off when you spend over 50" offer, so it'd only be 65.99.

Narrows it down.

I think that's the cheapest we've seen it so far Pip, but we'll let you know if we find it cheaper elsewhere.

Si xx

Rutherford, Banks and Collins (I think they're my solicitors) appear tonight (Wednesday 28th) on Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 show from 10.30pm to midnight.

It's true.
    explodes

Pip Madeley Guest

Thanks for that buglass, I'll be listening

Pip Madeley Guest

It wasn't that interesting in the end, the only thing of note was that Abacab won't be played, because Phil doesn't want to sing it anymore. Disappointing. Then again, Chester has said they're playing two songs even he hasn't played live before...

Onto the new box set, a fan at the Genesis forum has got hers and has posted pics:

Looks nice.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm going to be good and hold off buying this set... I'm so tempted but I know if I wait, I'll enjoy it even more.

Until then, there's always low quality previews of each song:

A Trick of the Tail (1976)
    Wind And Wuthering (1977)
    And Then There Were Three (1978)
    Duke (1980)
    Abacab (1981)

Even at that quality, you can really tell the differences in some songs. Dance On A Volcano's hi-hat work has never been so clear! The vocals on Entangled sound so crisp! And oh my god, the synth solo on The Lady Lies is a revelation to my ears!

Pip Madeley Guest

Genesis are currently rehearsing for the tour, and some clever fan got close enough to record some audio clips!

Behind The Lines

Throwing It All Away

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

Home By The Sea

Follow You Follow Me

No Son Of Mine

I Can't Dance

The Last Domino

Domino sounds pretty sweet... Behind The Lines is very welcome, let's hope we get Duchess too!

Pip Madeley Guest

I may be the only one bothered about this, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVLKisd4KU

IN THE FECKING CAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Sister's become good friends with one of the lighting guys for this tour, he moved in to the flat below her a couple of months ago. I've asked her to get him to steal something from Phil and co for you Pip, though he's away for the whole tour so if he does manage to get something it won't be for ages yet.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Ooh that's very nice of you Alex

If you could get your hands on an ARP ProSoloist...

...I'd be very pleased

Pip Madeley Guest

THE TOUR HATH BEGUN!

Footage is out there, and they sound really good.

And the last of my tickets hath arriveth...

I'm ready.

Heh, I can just imagine Pip spreading a picnic plus a great mass of expensive recording and video equipment over his 10 seats!

We've got our tickets too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Sadly there's people in the other seats. Otherwise I'd have spread my legs out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Otherwise I'd have spread my legs
    Pip, I know you love Genesis, but isn't that taking that love a bit far...?

Pip Madeley Guest

In a few hours time, I'll be off with my dad to see Genesis... hurrah!

Did you hear the Radio 2 documentary at the weekend Pip? if so was it any good?

Hope you enjoy it tonight! No setlist spoilers though please!

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll block out any spoilers for you, no worries. I've known the setlist for a few weeks now, and I can promise you, you're in for a treat. And yes I did hear part one of the documentary, it was fairly comprehensive, dealing with the Gabriel years and Trick Of The Tail. It's still on the BBC listen again if you want to hear it. Part two's on this Saturday.

Pip Madeley Guest

Got back not long ago... all I can say is:

BRING IT ON!

So up for Old Trafford & Twickenham now - I'll be singing/air drumming my arse off.

Did you ever see Genesis before, Pip? Or was this your first time?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I can't remember offhand exactly what age you are (but I know I wish I was that age again! ) but I know it's a while since they've toured and you'd probably still have been a kid at the time...but it's still feasible that you could have seen them when Ray Wilson was the vocalist. But more importantly, just how good were they? They're one of the few groups that I like which I've never quite got round to seeing (just typical that when they reform I'm hard pressed to find the cash needed!) and hopefully they'll be like the Stones/Eagles etc and occasionally tour for years to come. Were they worth the wait?