Thread: Genesis

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Hey Kenny,

Did you ever see Genesis before, Pip? Or was this your first time?
    Yep I've seen Genesis once before, back in March 1998 when they played what was then known as the NYNEX Arena here in Manchester, with Phil Collins' short-lived replacement Ray Wilson on vocals. I went with my dad & some of his friends, but I was only 12 at the time though & wasn't particularly interested, so I didn't really appreciate it.

Now, I'm 21 (note that down ) and have since become a big Genesis fan - I've exhausted the CDs and live bootlegs/videos/DVDs over the last few years, so as you can imagine, the chance to finally see Banks/Collins/Rutherford do their thing on stage is terribly exciting! And having seen the live broadcast from Dusseldorf at the cinema on Wednesday night, the excitement's gone up a notch

This tour could well be the only time they ever do this again (I never thought it was going to happen), so my dad & I will be going to both Old Trafford and Twickenham next weekend. It's a nice father/son bonding thing too, as he passed Genesis down to me. But for Old Trafford, we'll be joined by three of my mates and my dad's best mate, and for Twickenham I hope to say a hello to Ant & Teresa, and possibly Si Hart & Mr McCow who are attending too!

(just pray for good weather for me!)

Our whole family went to see them in Earls Court in '92. It was something for us all- although my brother found it too noisy (he was only 10 then!) and didn't enjoy it much.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nine months of anticipation and now the day has arrived.

SQUEEEEEEEE!

Pip Madeley Guest

It's lucky I don't have to talk here cause my voice has more or less disappeared... wow, what a gig. Best of my life. Second row was so close! I sang every song. But then you all expected me to. It was like a party, and I must confess, I cried a little bit during the final song...

Madeley Senior and I are about to leave for Twickers, hope to see Ant & Teresa and hopefully Si & Steve at some point during the day!

Wayne Guest

Have a great time Pip & everyone!

Wow, I'm so envious of you!

Glad you enjoyed it - and hope everyone enjoys today's concert!

absolutely bloody superb!

only gripe was that in such a setting as an arena, that one can't be that close to the band.

I will post a fuller review tomorrow, probably.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

On the road to Genesis! Twickenham Stadium somewhere looming in the background.

Here we are, inbetween the stadium and the bag search. My mum phoned just as we were getting to the front of the queue, sending my stress levels soaring. I can't multitask!

It's always exciting getting a few snaps at a concert. Si was disappointed to discover his phone has no camera in it.

Sadly, we didn't find Pip. But we did find his crisps, so that's OK

Genesis had an awesome stage. All the silvery bits in the middle were used to make big images, while video footage of the band turned up on the little screens at the side. It's rather 50's cadilac in it's style, I thought.

"You're no son of mine!" Phil reassured the audience. I don't know if he had a son in the audience.

There he is! It's Phil Collins. He had to be back in the home by 11pm.

Though my camera was a bit too rubbish to take decent photos when it got dark, the firework display was impressive. Here it looks like the end of the world....

It was an excellent concert. Phil's inter-song banter was top quality and highly amusing, without being too cheesy. Tony Banks proved us wrong - his fingers are still capable of playing songs like 'The Cage' and 'Firth of Fifth'! Unless he was employing stunt hands, of course. They even played Ripples, and a couple of other unexpected classics.

A fantastic night out. They may be one of the uncoolest bands in the UK, but that's hard to believe when they put on a show that's this good. Let the music do the talking, I say!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Hurrah! Another great Genesis gig, though I must say I enjoyed last night much more, simply because I was so close (we were up in the stands for Twickers). Highlights of the whole weekend had to be the utterly awesome In The Cage Medley (Duke's Travels rocked), Ripples (the main reason my voice is a mess, I gave it my all!) and the Drum Duet/Los Endos - proof, if any was needed, that Genesis have still got it. Amazing stage, amazing fireworks, amazing video screens, the only disappointment was that the lights were lost for most of the weekend because of the bright sky...

Was great to see Ant & Teresa (and Ant's mum!) once again, was sorry to miss Si and Steve, but I'm glad I got to at least chat to Si on the phone (I believe Steve was at the bar buying my crisps! ). I'll share my pics (and maybe a little video) from the weekend later on this evening when I have the time, I've got work at 4pm. I dunno what the borrowers will think, with my gravelly, knackered voice greeting them from across the counter...

I really enjoyed it too! In fact I probably enjoyed this more than any other time I've seen them, because the setlist was so good. There was stuff played yesterday evening that I never thought I'd hear them play live- The Cage Medley which was simply awesome, Ripples which was a huge surprise and starting with Behind the Lines (without the singing anyway) which was a brilliant barnstorming opener.
    The songs were really well chosen, as they played a set that would keep fans of all their periods happy. The songs from the mid 80s stand up so much better live too!
    I was sad they didn't do That's All, and there were several other more unlikely songs I'd have loved them to do, but they were always the really unlikely ones! The only one I'd rather they hadn't done was Hold On My Heart, which is a bit dreary...

They can certainly put on a shao. Phil may not be coool, but he can work a crowd wonderfully. It's always good to see the tambouribne theatrics again!

So good stuff, and the second best comeback of the year!

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

The only one I'd rather they hadn't done was Hold On My Heart, which is a bit dreary
    I agree, it was the designated pee break for many it seemed, it was quite disappointing to see all the people heading towards the toilets/bars after the Cage Medley... I feel sorry for the band, up there playing their best, Phil singing his heart out, people walking past him - disrespectful is the word I'm looking for... there were a few people around us who kept to-ing and fro-ing like that, so annoying... and the seating at Twickers was horribly cramped, so that made matters worse.

I never let these things ruin my night tho.

Glad you all had a great time

When I played some Genesis in the car the other day, Sam & Tom piped up that it was the man who did the singing on Tarzan.

That's fame for you
    Bazinga !

Steve says they have to move around because they're all old and can't hold their beer these days!

I was pleased all the families there!

Si xx

It's nice that three PS fave acts have all got back together this year - Genesis, Crowded House and The Girls Named Spice.

What next I wonder?

If it's 2 Unlimited then that'd be 4 PS faves!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been reading there were a number of celebs at Twickenham & Old Trafford...

Philip Glenister (DCI Gene Hunt!)
    Jackie & Paul Stewart
    David Baddiel
    Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)
    Alan White (Yes)
    Chris Evans
    Jeremy Clarkson
    Tony Robinson
    Al Murray (The Pub Landlord)
    Paul McGinley (golfer)
    Nick Faldo (golfer)
    Angus Deayton
    Roger Taylor and Brian May (out of Queen)
    Fish (out of Marillion)
    John Leslie (out of Abi Titmuss)
    Bernie Ecclestone
    Peter Reid
    Penny Smith
    Jane Torvill
    Will Carling

Here was my view at Twickers:

Which is why you'll understand, I had a better time at Old Trafford:

That was pre-gig, and this was during Home By The Sea...

When Phil introduced the Bankster, I went mental. All praise to the Great One.

Didn't take many pics because I was too busy enjoying the moment.

Pip Madeley Guest

How's this for impressive - Genesis played a free gig in Rome at the weekend, to an estimate of

500,000 people.

Genesis are LEGENDARY.

Pfft. That's only half a millions.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

NME tell us something I think we already know!

Genesis are to release expanded versions of their biggest-selling albums later this year.

Between them, 'Genesis' (1983), 'Invisible Touch' (1986), 'We Can't Dance' (1991) and 'Calling All Stations' (1997) sold over 40 million copies on CD alone.

The albums will be all be re-released in 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes and will be on SACD/CD hybrid and DVD dual disc sets containing bonus material exclusive to each release.

Among the DVD extra are videos, tour documentaries and interviews.

A box set containing all of the expanded albums and an extra CD featuring rarities called 'Extra Tracks 1983-1997' is released on the same day.

Genesis recently completed a sold-out reunion tour of Europe, where they played to over a million people, and will perform dates in North America later this year.

Pip Madeley Guest

And not one single sarcastic/negative comment, remarkable!

A box set containing all of the expanded albums and an extra CD featuring rarities called 'Extra Tracks 1983-1997' is released on the same day.
    Hearts On Fire, I'd Rather Be You, Do The Neurotic... it'll be cheese-tastic.

Pip Madeley Guest

Details of the next set...

Genesis 1983 - 1998 Box Set (released September 17th)

Genesis (1983)

Mama (6:53)
    That's All (4:26)
    Home By The Sea (5:07)
    Second Home By The Sea (6:07)
    Illegal Alien (5:00)
    Taking It All Too Hard (3:58)
    Just A Job To Do (4:47)
    Silver Rainbow (4:31)
    It's Gonna Get Better (5:00)

DVD Extras: Video promos for Mama, That's All, Home By The Sea & Illegal Alien. Reissues Interview 2007. Mama Tour Rehearsal 1983. Genesis Tour Programme. Encore Tour Programme. Six Of The Best Programme

Invisible Touch (1986)

Invisible Touch (3:29)
    Tonight Tonight Tonight (8:53)
    Land Of Confusion (4:47)
    In Too Deep (5:03)
    Anything She Does (4:20)
    Domino (10:45)
    Throwing It All Away (3:52)
    The Brazilian (4:57)

DVD Extras: Promo videos for Invisible Touch, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Land Of Confusion, In Too Deep & Anything She Does. Reissues Interview 2007. Visible Touch - Behind The Scenes. Land Of Confusion - OGWT Rock Around The Clock. 1986 Tour Programme

We Can't Dance (1991)

No Son Of Mine (6:39)
    Jesus He Knows Me (4:16)
    Driving The Last Spike (10:09)
    I Can't Dance (4:01)
    Never A Time (3:50)
    Dreaming While You Sleep (7:17)
    Tell Me Why (4:59)
    Living Forever (5:41)
    Hold On My Heart (4:38)
    Way Of The World (5:40)
    Since I Lost You (4:10)
    Fading Lights (10:20)

DVD Extras: Video promos for No Son Of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, I Can't Dance, Tell Me Why & Hold On My Heart. Reissues Interview 2007. No Admittance 1992. UK Tour Programme.

Calling All Stations (1997)

Calling All Stations (5:45)
    Congo (4:52)
    Shipwrecked (4:24)
    Alien Afternoon (7:54)
    Not About Us (4:40)
    If That's What You Need (5:13)
    The Dividing Line (7:45)
    Uncertain Weather (5:30)
    Small Talk (5:02)
    There Must Be Some Other Way (7:55)
    One Man's Fool (8:54)

DVD Extras: Promo videos for Congo, Shipwrecked & Not About Us. Reissues Interview 2007. Calling All Stations EPK 1998. Rock Im Park Germany (CAS). Polish TV 1998 (There Must Be Some Other Way/TheDividing Line). World Tour Programme 1998

Extras 1983 - 1998

On The Shoreline (4:49)
    Hearts On Fire (5:17)
    Do The Neurotic (7:07)
    Feeding The Fire (5:54)
    I'd Rather Be You (4:04)
    Anything Now (7:03)
    Sign Your Life Away (4:45)
    Run Out Of Time (6:31)

DVD Extras: Reissues Interview 2007. Archive 2 1976 to 1992 EPK. Knebworth 1990. MMF Awards Ceremony 2000
    Rather disappointing that they've not included the rest of the later b-sides on the final disc (because Tony Banks didn't want it to be CAS-heavy, sigh). Much more interested in the final set - i.e THE GABRIEL YEARS - just for the massive improvement in sound quality.

Our CD of the July 8th gig arrived today! Nicely packaged it is too, in a gorgeous little cardboard sleeve.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

What's the sound quality like? I've only got the one hour highlights* from BBC Radio 2's broadcast...

I've got an audience member's DVD recording of the Old Trafford gig - the guy was in my block, and although you can't see me, you can hear me going "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" a few times during the gig...

*highlights that omitted the In The Cage Medley and Ripples, I mean come on...

It sound sfab from the little bit we've had time to listen to so far.

Si xx

Yeah, the sound quality is spot on. Chan Phil's voice isn't as good as I remember it though!