Thread: Genesis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

The set has been pushed back to 10th November 2008 but there's more news about the contents:

http://www.genesis-music.com/news/

A booklet accompanies each album featuring sleeve notes by Richard McPhail (Trespass), David Baddiel (Nursery Cryme), Roger Taylor (Foxtrot), Jeremy Clarkson (Selling England By The Pound) and Tony Robinson (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway).
    I knew David Baddiel, Jeremy Clarkson and Roger Taylor loved the G-men, but Tony Robinson is a new one on me! Who'd have thunk it, Baldrick loves the Lamb!

Goodness me. It looks great. The soundtrack stuff sounds interesting. Maybe, just maybe I'll buy this one. I haven't gone for any of the others yet though.

In honour of your birthday I'm listening to the Lamb right now.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

The microsite is live!

http://www.genesisbox3.com/

Pip Madeley Guest

It is here...

It is NOW!!!!!

Oh my Lord, it sounds AMAZING, the quality is just astounding. It's like listening to the albums for the first time - the Lamb, oh the Lamb! Speechless.

Pip Madeley Guest

Anyone want to go and see a Genesis tribute band this year?

G2 Definitive Genesis

Los Endos

Any ideas?

Am I the only one who'd love to see a brand new Genesis cd hit the shelves? Phil Collins isn't the solo chart megastar he was 15/20 years ago, so hopefully there's not as much a chance of his influence/success causing us to get the watered-down chart friendly sounds of the Invisible Touch/I Can't Dance albums. But hopefully we should be entitled to expect stuff as good as the Duke/Abacab/Genesis era...

If Queen can do it without Freddie, surely Genesis can do it better with Phil. Give it a go, guys.

Pip Madeley Guest

Am I the only one who'd love to see a brand new Genesis cd hit the shelves?
    I hope not!

hopefully there's not as much a chance of his influence/success causing us to get the watered-down chart friendly sounds of the Invisible Touch/I Can't Dance albums. But hopefully we should be entitled to expect stuff as good as the Duke/Abacab/Genesis era...
    I think that's a little unfair - there's some quality stuff on the latter albums (The Brazillian, Domino, Fading Lights, Driving The Last Spike, Dreaming While You Sleep, Living Forever etc). There were hints about new material but there'd probably never be a proper album - they loathe promoting.

If Queen can do it without Freddie, surely Genesis can do it better with Phil. Give it a go, guys
    They tried it in 1997 with Ray Wilson but alas they didn't carry on - shame really. They were never going to be as big without Phil but Calling All Stations was a decent effort and it's a pity they never went on to do more. I guess they'd had enough after 31 years in the same band.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I think that's a little unfair - there's some quality stuff on the latter albums (The Brazillian, Domino, Fading Lights, Driving The Last Spike, Dreaming While You Sleep, Living Forever etc).
    You're right, perhaps I was a little harsh. It's not that I don't like those albums, I do really...the Invisible Touch lp in particular was constantly on my turntable throughout 1987. It's a really enjoyable slice of pop-rock which I still listen to regularly. All that I really meant was that by 1992 I felt they were in danger of becoming 'The Phil Collins Group' rather than being Genesis in their own right. And imo Collins solo stuff by that time wasn't as fresh or original as it once had been. And I'm not Collins-bashing here either btw, I really like the fellow and enjoy a lot of his work...I just feel that that era (early 90s) wasn't his most productive, either solo or in Genesis. Not bad as such, but certainly patchier than a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    They tried it in 1997 with Ray Wilson but alas they didn't carry on - shame really. They were never going to be as big without Phil but Calling All Stations was a decent effort and it's a pity they never went on to do more. I guess they'd had enough after 31 years in the same band.
    They should have given Wilson another shot at it imo. Like you say, 31 years is a long time and maybe they just felt enough was enough.

I'd still like to see a new album, though!

Pip Madeley Guest

ll that I really meant was that by 1992 I felt they were in danger of becoming 'The Phil Collins Group' rather than being Genesis in their own right. And imo Collins solo stuff by that time wasn't as fresh or original as it once had been.

Not bad as such, but certainly patchier than a few years earlier.
    I can agree with those points, particularly the latter - Never A Time, Tell Me Why, Anything She Does, In Too Deep are all pretty ropey IMO (though the third one is a guilty pleasure).

Pip Madeley Guest

Peter Gabriel pulls out!

Of Oscars.

Peter Gabriel has pulled out of the Oscar ceremony after learning his performance as a best song nominee would be limited to just 65 seconds. The singer, co-nominated for Down To Earth from Wall-E, said he had hoped to perform the song in its entirety. The three shortlisted songs will be performed as part of a medley. "It's a bit unfortunate," said Gabriel in a video on his website, adding that he was "an old fart" who could afford to "make a little protest". The Academy had no comment.

In a change to previous years, producers - eager to bolster viewing figures for the Oscar ceremony later this month - have chosen to cut back on song performances. But the British singer, nominated alongside American composer Thomas Newman, said songwriters "deserve a place in the ceremony as well". "The songwriters are a very small part of the filmmaking process, but we still work bloody hard," he said. Gabriel, 59, in the running for his first Oscar, said he hoped the Soweto Gospel Choir would perform in his place but added that he will still attend the ceremony on 22 February.

"I'm an old fart and it's not going to do me any harm to make a protest. But the ceremony should be fun and I'm looking forward to it." Down To Earth is nominated alongside two songs from Slumdog Millionaire by Indian composer AR Rahman. It lost out to Bruce Springsteen's track from The Wrestler at the Golden Globes last month. Peter Gabriel, a former member of Genesis, had a string of hit albums in the 1980s. More recently, he has become well-known for his promotion of world music and his involvement in the charity, Womad.

Peter Gabriel has pulled out of the Oscar ceremony after learning his performance as a best song nominee would be limited to just 65 seconds.
    That's not totally unreasonable. Merely moderately unreasonable. I can see his point, why bother playing 65 seconds of a song?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Anyone fancy this?

http://www.regenesis-music.com/

ReGenesis play Sheperds Bush Empire on Saturday 28th November - tickets £17.50 each...

I'm washing my tuppence that day.

We might be up for that Pip. Re-Genesis always put on a good show after all.

I see there's a Live boxset on the way too.

I'm currently listening to That's All you know.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed, although there's some disappointing news - Seconds Out and Three Sides Live are both in stereo/5.1 but Way We Walk only stereo They were going to put Live Over Europe in there but apparently Genesis management are trying to convince the record company to remove it from the box set but to leave a slot for it, so anyone who bought it can add it in, so no-one has to buy it twice.

On the bright side, Way We Walk are all new mixes and the DVD extras WILL include the 'Rainbow 73' audio in 5.1 Live Gabe-era Genesis in surround sound... my God...

Oh, and this one is CD/DVD-Audio only - no SACD. Which is probably a good thing.

Indeed, although there's some disappointing news - Seconds Out and Three Sides Live are both in stereo/5.1 but Way We Walk only stereo
    You poor things! I've got more chance of finding "Fury from the Deep" than any live album by half the people I like!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

You may be surprised to discover that in 40 years Genesis only released 6 bona-fide live albums: Genesis Live (1973), Seconds Out (1977), Three Sides Live (1982), The Way We Walk: Shorts / Longs (1992) and Live Over Europe (2007). Should be 5 really but the 1992 tour was released as 2 separate albums to boost sales (the latter went to no.1).

That's a very small amount for a band of their longevity.

Is it though? Bob Dylan has only ever released two official live albums and he's been going longer than that. And, as I hinted at before, of the people we like, most of Madonna and Michael Jackson's tours are unreleased, and Kirsty MacColl, Kim Wilde and Kate Bush are all totally unrepresented live. So I'd say six live albums is pretty lucky actually.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Pulp have only had one live album in 24 years (and that was part of a re-release) so you may have a point.

I know there's plenty of bootlegs for Genesis, Kate Bush, Bob Dylan etc so the fans fill in the gap admirably

There's one official Kate live album and video but to be fair it's not like she's done a great deal of live work.

So the CD release of every concert on the recent Genesis tour counts as a bootleg? I suppose it's a semi-official release, but the production values are very good on them.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I wouldn't class them as live albums in the way Live Over Europe is, no.

This trend of releasing every concert of a tour is an interesting one. Would some collectors want every CD even if presumably it's the same track listing each time with very few differences?

Pip Madeley Guest

Yes, I think so, I guess for some people it's a nice memento. For instance, I went to see Genesis in Manchester and Twickenham and was pleased to have boots of those gigs

Marillion recorded most of their last UK tour and my dad wants to collect them all, because he went to each gig and they're memories for him.

Keane did it with their 2006 tour - again I bought the Manchester gig and it's something of a collectors item because they were in deluxe packaging and only 1,500 of each gig were produced.

It's the Pokemon syndrome. Gotta catch em all.

Even The Beatles managed one official live album. Quite a few bands are releasing live DVDs these days without corresponding albums. Lou Reed has had a few.

I'd have thought there'd be a Radiohead Live At Glasto album by now, given how everyone keeps going on about it.