Thread: Genesis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Genesis

Well, here's a general thread that's going to start with

I got through to the purchase page but it all ffffed up because no drop-down choice came up for 'Country of Residence'. So when I confirmed it told me I couldn't!

Argh...

Oh yes, Simon if you're reading this perhaps you could try!
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 24th Nov 2006 at 9:13 AM.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

That was annoying - but I got 3 tickets. I didn't realise they'd go on sale at Seetickets and Stargreen as well, so I was able to use those. But Ticketmaster really ffffed me over.

So we're up the back, in the corner at Twickenham. But it's not an awful bunch of seats! Just slightly poor. Still, I was never going to spend hundreds of pounds on really good seats, it's just throwing more money at it for little extra benefit. At least we're going.

Though my nerves are now thoroughly shredded!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

We'll have to meet up before the gig, mate

Glad you got tickets. I'm up in the West Stand (block 105) with my dad, only a couple of rows from Ant funnily enough! And for Old Trafford I'm sitting on the pitch, second row, left of the stage... so two different views, we're really pleased. It's cost a pretty penny, but definitely worth it, because I never thought I'd get the opportunity to see Banks/Collins/Rutherford/Steurmer/Thompson on stage for myself...

myself, Teresa and my Mum are all going together, which should be fantastic! As Pip said, we're going to be a couple of rows in front of him - woo!

The tickets were expensive, but most outrageous of all was the 8 "convenience charge" that ticketmaster slapped on top of that - I think it's disgusting!

But yes, I too am looking forward to seeing Messrs Collins, Rutherford, Banks, Steurmer and Thompson.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    The tickets were expensive, but most outrageous of all was the 8 "convenience charge" that ticketmaster slapped on top of that - I think it's disgusting!
    Someone on the Genesis forum worked out that Ticketmaster will make at least 500,000 in admin fees alone, it's totally disgusting. Half a million just for telling people 'yes you can buy our tickets'... joke. But it seems to be the norm these days for big concerts. I'm glad they were relatively this cheap, and by that I mean U2 and the Rolling Stones who charge about 100 for tickets, not to mention Madonna who seems to milk her fans for all she can get. So 65 for a 2 1/2 hour Genesis show sounds reasonable.

One other thing that upset me was that there was no prior warning that the tickets would be availble from anyone apart from Ticketmaster. I discovered too late that Seetickets (my faves!) had tickets too.

I'm glad we're all going though. I'll have to ask for some binoculars for Christmas.

Curse you Ticketmarster!
    *grinds teeth, rends clothing and wails*

Pip Madeley Guest

Pip Madeley Guest

Some very exciting news for Genesis fans - as already known, they're releasing SACD/5.1 versions of the back catalogue, but they come with visual extras...

A Trick of the Tail (1976)

• The Making Of A Trick Of The Tail [2006 band interview]
    • A Trick Of The Tail [promo video]
    • Ripples [promo video]
    • Robbery, Assault and Battery [promo video]
    • Entangled [Live, from Genesis In Concert 1976]
    • Los Endos [Live, from Genesis In Concert 1976]
    • Dance On A Volcano [Live, from The Old Grey Whistle Test 1980]

Wind And Wuthering (1977)

• The Making Of Wind & Wuthering [2006 band interview]
    • Afterglow (live, from 'Three Sides Live' 1981 or The Old Grey Whistle Test 1980)
    • Spot The Pigeon (from Top Of The Pops 1977)

... And Then There Were Three (1978)

• The Making Of And Then There Were Three [2006 band interview]
    • Follow You Follow Me [promo video]
    • Many Too Many [promo video]
    • Three Dates With Genesis [BBC Nationwide documentary from 1978]

Duke (1980)

• The Making Of 'Duke [2006 band interview]
    • Turn It On Again [promo video]
    • Duchess [promo video]
    • Misunderstanding [promo video]
    • Behind The Lines (live from 'Three Sides Live' 1981 or The Old Grey Whistle Test 1980)

Abacab (1981)

• The Making Of Abacab [2006 band interview]
    • Abacab [promo video]
    • Keep It Dark [promo video]
    • Man On The Corner [promo video]
    • No Reply At All [promo video]
    • Me And Sarah Jane (from 'Three Sides Live' 1981)

There's some things that make me jump for joy (like Three Dates With Genesis, which hasn't been repeated since its original transmission and many thought it would remain locked up in the BBC forever), but there are some oddities, like the lack of live tracks for "And Then There Were Three" considering there's quite a few on the Old Grey Whistle Test 1980 Lyceum gig.

I'm seriously considering picking up an SACD player and 5.1 setup before the end of the year.

That's going to cost us a fortune. It might be worth it though!

Although... we've got the promo videos... and they're in 5.1 on the Turn It On Again DVD.

Perhaps more importantly, we don't have 5.1 facilities. Yet!

Pip Madeley Guest

BBC News

Rock band Genesis will perform their biggest concert ever with a free gig for more than 400,000 fans at an ancient hippodrome in Rome.

The concert at the Circo Massimo on 14 July will be the final show of the band's first tour in 15 years.

There will be no tickets, and people are being told to turn up on the day on a first come first served basis.
    Four hundred thousand people!!!!!!!!!!

You going then Pip?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nah.

Too old, too bad, too Welsh.

Did you ever see Genesis before, Pip? Or was this your first time?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I can't remember offhand exactly what age you are (but I know I wish I was that age again! ) but I know it's a while since they've toured and you'd probably still have been a kid at the time...but it's still feasible that you could have seen them when Ray Wilson was the vocalist. But more importantly, just how good were they? They're one of the few groups that I like which I've never quite got round to seeing (just typical that when they reform I'm hard pressed to find the cash needed!) and hopefully they'll be like the Stones/Eagles etc and occasionally tour for years to come. Were they worth the wait?

Pip Madeley Guest

Two hearts, living in just one mind...

Pip Madeley Guest

There's a promotional website for the forthcoming Genesis album reissues (in SACD/5.1 Surround), with a track from each of the first five albums they're releasing (76-81)... and the difference in the earlier tracks is quite amazing. Squonk sounds like it was recorded yesterday, even compared to the 'Definitive Remasters' from the early 90s... drums sounds much better, specially the snare drum and cymbals, the bass pedal work sounds immense... Ant will be made up!

A definite purchase for me, even if I have to buy a SACD player just to hear them - I'm totally sold, Nick Davis has worked miracles.

Good grief Pip- I see what you mean and agree entirely- Squonk sounds marvellous!

Si xx

I've a certain fondness for And Then There Were Three, it's really the only Genesis album I know. I'm glad to see the albums will be available seperately so I may consider getting this one.

Pip Madeley Guest

They're releasing each album as an CD/SACD - one side of the disc is Audio CD, containing brand new stereo remixes by Nick Davis, the other Super Audio CD side features the new remixes in 5.1 (Dolby Surround/DTS), along with DVD content relevant to the time. The big box set of the first 5 albums features a bonus SACD with all the b-sides from the era (newly remixed of course), and an extra bonus DVD per album of some rare material - makes the box a definite for me. Here's the listings:

Bonus CD/SACD (CD Stereo / SACD stereo / SACD 5.1 Surround Sound)

1. Paperlate (from E.P 3X3, 1982)
    2. Evidence of Autumn (B-side to Misunderstanding 1980)
    3. Pigeons (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    4. You might Recall (from E.P. 3X3 1982)
    5. Naminanu (B-side to Keep It Dark 1981)
    6. Inside and Out (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    7. Vancouver (Part of Double B-side to Many Too Many 1978)
    8. Me and Virgil (from E.P. 3X3 1982)
    9. It's Yourself (B-side to Your Own Special Way - 1977)
    10. Match of the Day (from E.P. Spot The Pigeon 1977)
    11. Open Door (B-side to Duchess 1980)
    12. The Day the Light Went Out (B-side to Many Too Many 1978)
    13. Submarine (B-side to Man On The Corner 1982)

Bonus DVD

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (24bit/48K) / DTS 5.1 Surround Sound (24bit / 96K) mixes of all the tracks above

1. Paperlate Video
    2. Reissues Interview 2007
    As well as containing each of the five remastered albums in jewel cases, this lavish box set also has an exclusive case bound 48 page booklet featuring newly written essays and a bonus CD/SACD + DVD featuring rarities and b-sides and never seen before videos.

Worth 82.99* of any Genesis fan's money.

*the price from the Genesis webshop, I'm trying to find it cheaper!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been price-checking and the cheapest is 70.99 at Foxy - but I know they do a "5 off when you spend over 50" offer, so it'd only be 65.99.

Narrows it down.

I think that's the cheapest we've seen it so far Pip, but we'll let you know if we find it cheaper elsewhere.

Si xx

Rutherford, Banks and Collins (I think they're my solicitors) appear tonight (Wednesday 28th) on Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 show from 10.30pm to midnight.

It's true.
    explodes

Pip Madeley Guest

Thanks for that buglass, I'll be listening

Pip Madeley Guest

It wasn't that interesting in the end, the only thing of note was that Abacab won't be played, because Phil doesn't want to sing it anymore. Disappointing. Then again, Chester has said they're playing two songs even he hasn't played live before...

Onto the new box set, a fan at the Genesis forum has got hers and has posted pics:

Looks nice.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm going to be good and hold off buying this set... I'm so tempted but I know if I wait, I'll enjoy it even more.

Until then, there's always low quality previews of each song:

A Trick of the Tail (1976)
    Wind And Wuthering (1977)
    And Then There Were Three (1978)
    Duke (1980)
    Abacab (1981)

Even at that quality, you can really tell the differences in some songs. Dance On A Volcano's hi-hat work has never been so clear! The vocals on Entangled sound so crisp! And oh my god, the synth solo on The Lady Lies is a revelation to my ears!