Thread: Alice Cooper

Default Alice Cooper

It's almostthe end of term, and quite frankly playing "School's out" gives me a feeling of immense joy and power!
    Th eman who made the music is quite goo din general actually. I only own one of his studio albums, which given my vintage you would probably have a good guess at which one (.......it's 1989's "Trash", the one with "Poison" on).
    I'm playing his "Definitive" compilation now though. Bob Dylan once calle dhim a great songwriter (no faint praise coming from him), and "Under my wheels", "Elected", "Billion dollar babies" and "Teenage lament '74" are fab. I've also been walking around with my mp3 player on, playing "No more Mr. Nice guy" and imagining I'm in "Dazed and confused"
    I love this sort of glammy '70s rock; maybe it's why I pull sour faces when I see and hear Marilyn Manson and whoever. I'm not saying they're no good, but it's all here and the music is more fun to listen to, which counts for a lot in my book.

Does anyone like a bit of ol' Vincent then? Was he better when Alice Cooper were his band (rather than just him)?

I like "He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask)" his love theme from Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives but in general I prefer Alice Deejay.

Interesting...are you comparing Alice Deejay to Alice Cooper?

Only in terms of both being Alices!

I can't stand "Schools Out". I always think it's one of those songs (like Slade outside the Xmas one and Suzi Quatro) where you had to be around at the time to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    Only in terms of both being Alices!

I can't stand "Schools Out". I always think it's one of those songs (like Slade outside the Xmas one and Suzi Quatro) where you had to be around at the time to appreciate it.
    Rubbish! and..how old are you saying I am?!! "School's out" was no.1 in 1972 by the way. I know my shit.

I know nothing about Alice Deejay.

Suzi...Slade....I bet you hate T-rex! It's...um...an era I'm quite partial too though.

Alice's later output is still quite good though, and different in style (although still rock, man ).

Edited to say- "Hey Stoopid" is a song I can imagine singing to a few regular PS posters*. ...you know, because I care....in a straight talking kind of way!

*Not because your stupid though! That's not what the songs about, really...

We're rather fond of "Poison" here but apart from that and "School's Out" I know nothing of his material. Ditto Ozzy Osbourne apart from "Changes" and "Paranoid".

I like quite a lot of T Rex actually! I think they've stood the test of time a lot more than any of those I mentioned.

I did think you'd be a bit young to have been around in '72 but having considered that would have spoilt my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I like quite a lot of T Rex actually! I think they've stood the test of time a lot more than any of those I mentioned.

I did think you'd be a bit young to have been around in '72 but having considered that would have spoilt my point.
    I know, only messin'

Glad you like a bit of Marc...

Simon, you should come over to the darkside for a while. "No more Mr. Nice guy" is quite well known- surprised you don't know it. Infact, there's a few you might know but don't know are Alice Cooper.

Alice Cooper always like to have Suzi Quatro with him at gigs because "she was good in a fight" apparently.

There's some great material, but also a lot of crap to be honest. Especially some of the albums he was that far gone whilst making them that he doesn't even remember them.

Trash and Hey Stoopid were a great revival for him, but later albums like Brutal Planet or Last Temptation (with it's comic book freebie) have shown an artist no longer at the height of his powers.

His tours are worth a viewing for their t'eatre!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    Alice Cooper always like to have Suzi Quatro with him at gigs because "she was good in a fight" apparently.

There's some great material, but also a lot of crap to be honest. Especially some of the albums he was that far gone whilst making them that he doesn't even remember them.

Trash and Hey Stoopid were a great revival for him, but later albums like Brutal Planet or Last Temptation (with it's comic book freebie) have shown an artist no longer at the height of his powers.

His tours are worth a viewing for their t'eatre!
    Yeah, I have to agree with that assessment really, although some of the great stuff he's done has been really great. I believe some of his '80s albums are a bit dire (until you get to "Constrictor" in '86), but I'm no expert on that score.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I used to know a girl called Alice Cooper in the church I went to about 12 years ago. It became quite funny because of course she turned out to be musical, so there would quite often be notices in the church newsletter and so on saying "Tonight the worship band will be led by Alice Cooper", and so on.

Interstingly, Mr. Furnier is a Christian. True fact!

Not sure where the guillotines and snakes come into it, but there's room for all sorts!

Alice himself is a devout Christian though. And his daughter plays the murdered nurse in his stage act!

Gosh we posted the same thing there. Ish!

We got daughters, murdered nurses, snakes and guillotines covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Ditto Ozzy Osbourne apart from "Changes" and "Paranoid".
    shame that they're both Black Sabbath songs, rather than Ozzy solo, eh?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

My Dad was a massive Alice Cooper fan. He even had the same hairstyle.

Last edited by Carol Baynes; 9th Jun 2007 at 9:59 PM.

I'm just off to watch Alice Cooper on BBC Four.

Pip Madeley Guest

I have a lot of respect for Vincent Furnier because he's not only a great theatrical showman, but he's not an egotistical man. Whenever I've seen him interviewed, he comes across as a great, warm and witty man. And I love his cameo in Wayne's World, one of the funniest moments in the film.

He is also in Spice Girls In America: A Teurgh Story.

As are many nuggets of golden wisdom sent straight from heaven above.

I'm never going to wash this pen again.

Seen alice live a number of times, first time way back in '78. I've seen him electic chaired, beheaded with an axe, hanged and guillotined. Last year the nurse, played by his daughter, was given a make over, so I got to see him chase Britney Spears off the stage, lots of screaming and long shadows foowed by him returning tothe stage with her severed head. Kewl.

He's had a lot of material, and a few troughs in his career, especially much of the early eighties stuff. Poison revived his fortunes, although if I remember right it was a Diane Warren or Dsmond Child song, not actually Alice's. The album had it's moments- my favourite track was 'only my heart talking' with SteveTyler on guest vocals.

Little known fact. Last year Eric Singer was drumming for both Alice Cooper and KISS, and they had to managetheir tour dates to accommodate him, and he often travelled half way round the world and back in 48 hours to meet his commitments.

It would take a while for the definitive version of "School's Out" to emerge.

Didn't he perform the said chanson with A*Teens?

Hmmm.

FACT
    Alice Cooper is exactly the same age as my dad! (give or taken a few hours)