Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Britain's Oldest World War I Veteran Celebrates 111th Birthday!

Spotted it on the news yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6724313.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Oldest man marks 111th birthday

Britain's oldest man was honoured with an RAF flypast and lunch aboard HMS Victory on his 111th birthday.

A Royal Marines band also serenaded Henry Allingham, one of only three known UK survivors from World War I, during the celebrations in Portsmouth.

When asked how it felt to turn 111, he said he was "pleased to be seeing another tomorrow".

And talking about the lessons he had learnt from World War I, the Sussex man said: "Hear all, see all and say nowt."

He said: "We had a job to do and we didn't give much thought to what was going on about us.

"We had a job to do, and did it, and it was concentrating on that that got us through the war."

Mr Allingham, who has five grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren, some of whom were at the party, is the last founder member of the RAF and the sole survivor of the Battle of Jutland.

He said being 111 was "just the same as it was as at any age".

"It's no different. I'm happy to be alive and I'm looking forward to the celebrations."

Dignitaries who shared the celebratory lunch with Mr Allingham included the Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Adrian Johns, and Veterans' Minister Derek Twigg.

On Tuesday, Surrey County Cricket Club threw a party for Mr Allingham, a keen cricket fan, at The Oval.

'Humour and acumen'

His close friend, Dennis Goodwin, founder of the World War Veterans' Association, said Mr Allingham was a man who "believes in doing things properly", and "straight talking".

He said: "He's getting a bit slower now but people remark how his memory and vocal cords improve as a day's engagement goes on.

"He's conscious of what's going on about him, he can contribute to the event himself and sit back and enjoy it.

"The senses are deteriorating, like smell and taste, but he still has humour and acumen."

Until last year, Mr Allingham lived an independent life in Eastbourne, but when his eyesight began to deteriorate, he moved to St Dunstan's care home for blind ex-service personnel near Brighton.

His accolades include the British War Medal, Victory Medal and the Legion d'honneur, France's highest military honour.
    Only three British World War I veterans left now: Henry Allingham, Harry Patch and Bill Stone.

Daily Mail article

List of surviving veterans worldwide

Stanisław Wycech was only 15 when he signed up! He also fought with the Bolsheviks in 1920!

Wayne Guest

Blimey!

Wow! It's quite amzing that there's anyone still alive that fought in WWI. Quite astonishing that he's still getting around.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

I remember in 1986 my history teacher saying how time was running out back then to really interview the WWI generation, as they were practically going extinct.

I don't know if anyone saw the program last year "The Last Tommy" but it was really very moving.

What a remarkable man - in fact, they're all remarkable men.

It never fails to amaze me that the Great War occurred nearly a century ago, and yet it still has such significance to our generation, the earliest conflict to resonate still. It's so sad that these few men will not be around for very much longer. I hope that their actions, and the actions of those who died so long ago, are still remembered by future generations, long after the last of the veterans has gone.

26 veterans have already died this year. They'll all be gone soon.

Lists of known WWI Veterans deaths by year:

1999 (446) | 2000 (303) | 2001 (210) | 2002 (144) | 2003 (124) | 2004 (121) | 2005 (83) | 2006 (50) | 2007 (26)
    I never even knew there were so many still alive four/five years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I remember in 1986 my history teacher saying how time was running out back then to really interview the WWI generation, as they were practically going extinct.

I don't know if anyone saw the program last year "The Last Tommy" but it was really very moving.
    Harry Patch and Alfred Anderson appeared in that. Sadly, Alfred Anderson (Scotland's last WWI veteran/last survivor of the "Christmas Truce" and the Battle of the Somme) died just after The Last Tommy was broadcast in November 2005. Harry Patch is now The Last Tommy, but he didn't even speak about the war until he was 100.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5090664.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwa...llery_03.shtml

Is there any way of finding out how many people born in the 1800s are still alive?

Only found some stuff about Centenarians so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian

http://www.grg.org/calment.html

A high percentage of them will have been born in the 1800s.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    It never fails to amaze me that the Great War occurred nearly a century ago, and yet it still has such significance to our generation, the earliest conflict to resonate still.
    Well look at Iraq, we still haven't lost the knack of sending young men abroad underequipped to their deaths, unless their names are Harry or William.

But think about the uproar over the 100 or so casualties we have to date over 4 years now.

The casualties on World War One were on an epic scale. I hope to God's sake we've lost our stomach for war on such a scale, and that any Government which caused a problem like the Somme would be hunted out of office.

Wow, I hope I live to be that age. And he doesn't look 111 does he? He could pass for 75.

Love the patronising tribute to him though - "he's concious of what's going on around him". It's only one step from there to "he's not yet in a vegetitive state - it's great!"

If I get to 111 I'm bound not to have such a quotable quip as "I'm pleased to be seeing another tomorrow" ready. The newspapers will probably say:

When asked how it felt to turn 111, he said, "dunno really. Hey has someone trodden in something. Are there any sandwiches left?".

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    26 veterans have already died this year. They'll all be gone soon.

I never even knew there were so many still alive four/five years ago!

Harry Patch and Alfred Anderson appeared in that. Sadly, Alfred Anderson (Scotland's last WWI veteran/last survivor of the "Christmas Truce" and the Battle of the Somme) died just after The Last Tommy was broadcast in November 2005. Harry Patch is now The Last Tommy, but he didn't even speak about the war until he was 100.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5090664.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwa...llery_03.shtml
    I may be wrong but I believe the last German WWI, veteran also died within the last year - but to survive the utter slaughter and carnage of that war and live to 111 is a truely amazing achievement - happy birthday to him.

Well look at Iraq, we still haven't lost the knack of sending young men abroad underequipped to their deaths, unless their names are Harry or William.

But think about the uproar over the 100 or so casualties we have to date over 4 years now.

the casualties on World War One were on an epic scale.
    I hope to God's sake we've lost our stomach for war on such a scale, and that any Government which caused a problem like the Somme would be hunted out of office.
    The British army suffered 60,000 casualties either killed or seriously wounded on the 1st day of the battle of the Somme - it remains the worst day ever in the history of the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe the last German WWI, veteran also died within the last year - but to survive the utter slaughter and carnage of that war and live to 111 is a truely amazing achievement - happy birthday to him.
    It looks like there are still four German WWI veterans alive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivi...of_World_War_I

A lot of those Italian, French and US veterans didn't see much action.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Wow, I hope I live to be that age. And he doesn't look 111 does he? He could pass for 75.
    I don't really have a desire to live to that age. But having seen him on the TV I hope I live until the day I die with his vitality and presence of mind.

II hope I live until the day I die with his vitality and presence of mind.

any that's the important thing it's the quallity of life you have .

Words fail...

Matt- there are definitely records of official births in the late 19th century, although it might be tricky getting hold of them. The Mormon church has records of all births. They were a great help when I was tracing my birth mum; they might try and get you to join them though!

Harry Patch was all over today's news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7279861.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Poem honours WWI veteran aged 109

A poem has been composed by the poet laureate for the oldest surviving veteran who fought in the trenches in World War I, 109-year-old Harry Patch.

Andrew Motion composed the work under a commission from the BBC's Inside Out West programme.

The Prince of Wales introduces the piece, saying Mr Patch, "epitomizes the courage, long-sufferingness and tenacity of his generation".

The poem has five acts, each exploring different stages in Mr Patch's life.

It begins at his childhood home in Combe Down, near Bath, before moving on to the battlefields of the Western Front where Mr Patch saw action as a Lewis gunner for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

In the final act, Mr Patch is depicted in a care home in the city of Wells, where he now lives.

Mr Motion said: "It is by some distance the most interesting of these sorts of commissions that I've done.

"I feel really quite a heavy burden on to me to pay Mr Patch due respect, to celebrate him and honour him, but at the same time not to let those feelings of something approaching awe get in the way of having a normal conversation."

Mr Patch was a plumber by trade before being called up and fighting in the Battle of Passchendaele.

His war was brought to an end when he was wounded by shrapnel from a German shell as he returned from the front line.

He is the second oldest UK survivor from World War I. The oldest is 111-year-old Henry Allingham, who fought in the Battle of Jutland rather than in the trenches like Mr Patch.

In February, he attended a special event at the Bishop's Palace in Wells to hear the poem performed for the first time.

Afterwards he told the poet laureate: "It's a great honour to have a poem written for me by you. That's all I can say."

Watch the piece on BBC One in the West at 7.30pm on Friday 7 March. Viewers outside the West can watch it on BBC iPlayer or on Sky digital satellite channel 986

Sad time to dig up this thread with news that Sydney Lucas has died, aged 108.

But Henry Allingham (first post in this thread) is still alive. Celebrated his 112th birthday back in May

I think that only leaves three or four surviving British World War 1 veterans.

Ninety Years Of Remembrance

WhiteCrow Guest

I have to say I've liked what the BBC have been doing about getting famous people to look up their ancestors in World War I. Somehow with so few people left to talk about it, we need to pass the torch on to make the ugly message of this 4 year tragedy relevant to todays society. With only a lone voice left, it's time for a new generation to champion those who time would forget.

World War I is so long in the past now, it's surprising we have any survivors at all. I passionately believe it's something we can never forget or dismiss, not for the survivors, but the many young men, often younger than we who gave their lives in often futile efforts.

You read through the reports of Generals who sent waves of men to their death in the Somme, convinced of their battle plan. Generals who refused to allow airmen parachutes because it would show cowardice. Unbelievable.

I read this week about the SAS Command who resigned over the MOD's lack of provision of suitable equipment for his men,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7703419.stm

He's not been the first to resign over such an issue. Thank goodness attitudes in the armed forces have changed dramatically since World War I, that commanding officers now place such importance on the well being of their men.

Yes, there are only 4 men from the 1st World War left now.

I have to say I've liked what the BBC have been doing about getting famous people to look up their ancestors in World War I.
    All I know, is that my grandfather, was in The Black Watch, and fought at
    Gallipoli, where he contracted malaria, it was an illness that effected him off and on for the rest of his life untill his death in the 1970's. My dad, says his father never talked about his experiences in WWI, but I suppose people who have been through the horrors of war don't like talking about it.

You read through the reports of Generals who sent waves of men to their death in the Somme, convinced of their battle plan. Generals who refused to allow airmen parachutes because it would show cowardice. Unbelievable.
    I watched Timewatch, last week and it was about the soldiers who were killed on the last day of WWI, and t's staggering and unbelievable to think that the American, Generals knowing the armistice had been signed were still sending their men to attack German positions just minutes before the cease fire was to come into effect.

I read this week about the SAS Command who resigned over the MOD's lack of provision of suitable equipment for his men,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7703419.stm

He's not been the first to resign over such an issue. Thank goodness attitudes in the armed forces have changed dramatically since World War I, that commanding officers now place such importance on the well being of their men.

lets face it this is nothing new as far back as the Criamean War 150 odd years ago the British, army was disgracfully under equiped .

2 minutes silence please.

Fat chance here, the fire alarm sounded to start it but the chap next to me continued giving his demonstration to his colleague regardless.

Si.

Our little section did OK, we didn't have the fire alarm but we managed two minutes quiet. Gobby McMouth over the way couldn't bring himself to shut up for two minutes though.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Our customers and staff here observed it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.