Thread: Bjork returns!

Default Bjork returns!

The incomparable Icelandic loon has got a new album out, "Volta". Has anyone heard it? I've bought it, but have yet to hear it all...

She's dressed as a weird chicken/tulip/milk bottle looking combination on the cover though! Hurrah for the will to be weird!

Wayne Guest

What a co-incidence! (I'll explain later)

I had no idea about this. I used to be quite an avid follower, but i was a bit disappointed with last one 'Medulla'. I had the feeling she was running out of ideas.
    Since then my interest has waned, & there's been so much other stuff to listen to. But i'm still interested in hearing this latest one though, so i'll probably get it soon. I still listen to 'Post', 'Homogenic', & 'MTV Unplugged' a lot!

I will be getting 'into' Bjork's music some time soon. All her albums are in my possession - it's just a case of listening to them!

Her new single was on the music channel - the video was fairly weird.

PS - I like Hyperballad
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I will be getting 'into' Bjork's music some time soon. All her albums are in my possession - it's just a case of listening to them!
    Brave man!

"Debut" and "Post" are the most accessible in my opinion, especially if you're not familar with her work. Both have fond places in my heart as soundtrck sto various times.
    I also like The Sugarcubes. "Hit" is still a fantastic single.

As I was only really familiar with 'Human Behaviour', and 'It's Oh So Quiet" because they were on MTV way back in the early/mid 90's when I still watched that channel, and now having been recently introduced to projectplaylist.com, I spent some time last week listening to Bjork's singles and some of the tracks off her greatest hits cd that I could find.

I still think 'It's Oh So Quiet' is a great track, and a few others were pretty good I guess, but overall I think it is mostly too much electronica for my taste.

The new single, 'Earth Intruders', I thought was maybe even a bit Hawkwindish in content/topic... I wonder if Wayne will like that one...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

The new single, 'Earth Intruders', I thought was maybe even a bit Hawkwindish in content/topic... I wonder if Wayne will like that one...
    oooh, Now i'm intrigued!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    oooh, Now i'm intrigued!
    "Earth intruders" is great!

I never get to hear any Bjork. You can't buy it without hearing any, and you seemingly can't hear any unless you buy it. It's Catch 22!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I never get to hear any Bjork. You can't buy it without hearing any, and you seemingly can't hear any unless you buy it. It's Catch 22!

Si.
    I'm guessing you haven't heard of Projectplaylist.com. It is a search engine thingy that finds mp3's online where you can hear them streaming instead of downloading them. You can then add the links to a playlist and listen to them from your list as long as they are online. Or, if you wish to purchase a download for your own PC, it provides a link to Itunes where you can do so.

http://www.projectplaylist.com
    Last edited by Jeff; 12th Jun 2007 at 10:38 PM.

Wayne Guest

I ordered 'Volta' from Amazon this morning.

Good man!

Wayne Guest

Unfortunately Amazon are making me wait another few days, as one of the other items i ordered in order to make it up to the free postage level, isn't out until the 29th.
    Anyway, i watched & recorded Bjork's set of Glastonbury on BBC4 last night. It was quite good. I thought she started off a bit ropey actually, she seemed to be struggling, but she definitely got better throughout the performance & was rockin' by the end.
    There were 2 or 3 numbers which i didn't know, which i assume were from 'Volta', which i thought were good. My favourite of the set though was 'Army of Me', which sounded great!

Wayne Guest

'Volta' was waiting on my doormat for me when i got back on Friday afternoon, & i've finally had chance to listen to it.
    On first impressions, i'd say it was a stronger/better album than 'Medulla', which i was slightly disappointed/meh, about.

'Earth Intruders' is a great upbeat start, with a slightly avant garde hommage to Speilberg's "Close Encounters" at the end, i think. A very catchy, singable track. I see where Jeff's coming from with the Hawkwind comparison. Actually, it sounds a little bit like their 1984 track: "Ghost Dance".

'Wanderlust' - Another good track. A similar backbeat as 'Earth Intruders', but this is a bit more typical of Bjork's esoteric approach, with double tracked vocals, using digital delay effects to stagger the harmonies. Starts off quietly, & builds in power as it progresses. Great stuff.

'Dull Flame of Desire' - Interesting track. Starts with a Wagner-esque horn that reminds me of one of his preludes. (possibly 'Die Valkrye') The track is a duet with Anthony Hegarty. It ok, but i like background textures more than the song itself i think, even though they both sing well.

'Innocence' - Nothing wrong with it, but this is average fayre for Bjork, IMO. Sounds like a natural 'B-Side'.

'I See Who You Are' - Much more my cup of tea. One her more 'worldy' pieces. I can't place what instrument is being used here, but i suspect it's possibly a japanese or african stringed instrument. A beautifully atmospheric piece though, & i love the way the horns converge at the end.

'Vertebrae By Vertebrae' - Bjork is so steadfastly un-mainstream, & this track is so typical of why so my people struggle with her music. Again the horns are a main feature here, & they're creating a some very dissonant harmonies here. Fused with a slightly light, industrial beat, Bjork's double tracked vocals weave in & out of a creative soundscape which successfully fuses traditional instruments with an electronic backbeat. Excellent.

'Pneumonia' - Lovely textures again here, predominantly laid down by the horns. You can tell Bjork's really into what she's singing. She sounds great, especially on the high notes. Very ambiant feel to it, & Bjork's singing as usual stays well away from the predictable major scale harmonies of much western pop music. Lovely stuff.

'Declare Independence' - A change of pace here, but none the less abstract! This one has a very rocky stamp on it, & it's definitely a stomping anthem that will come across really well live, as in the performance at Glastobury that i referred to earlier which had a great finisher. You get the sense that it's trying to be another 'Army of Me'. It's not as good as that track by some way IMO, but still a good track of it's style.

'My Juvenile' - It's back to the 'World Music' feel again here, & it's remeniscent of the sort of obscure stuff that you'll here on Radio 3 after midnight. Anthony Hegarty is back to feature on another vocal duet. He has a good voice, but somehow i'm not keen..... He sounds like he should be singing Nat King Cole's "Unforgetable". Not a favourite track, but again, i do love the musical background textures.

The album finishes with a reprise of 'I See Who You Are', but with a stronger beat. It's sounds like a continuation/re-mix that she would normally reserve for CD singles. It's fine for what it is, but i'm surprised to see it here.

All in all, i like the album a lot. It doesn't reach the heights of 'Post' or 'Homogenic' for me, but it's much better than 'Medulla', & possibly on a par with 'Vespertine', although that album is much more electronic, whereas this one is more 'worldy'. I like it because although it's quite representitive of Bjork's eclectic influences & styles, it does lean more towards to ambiant/world/chill-out side of her music, which is what i like best.
    Overall, i'd give it 7.5/10.
    Last edited by Wayne; 1st Jul 2007 at 4:23 PM.

Wayne Guest

It doesn't reach the heights of 'Post' or 'Homogenic' for me, but it's much better than 'Medulla', & possibly on a par with 'Vespertine', although that album is much more electronic, whereas this one is more 'worldy'.
    Btw Carol, Did you ever hear 'Medulla'? If so, how do you rate it?
    I should give it another go really. I've only listened to it twice since it came out in 2004!

I've only heard it once or twice and it didn't grab me. I never bought it either. "Vespertine" was very good, I thought- I do have that one.

Wayne Guest

I did actually buy 'Medulla' before i heard it. Just on faith really. But i think 'Volta' will get a lot more replays!
    What do you think of the bloke in the two duets? I'm not sure. I can't fault him technically, but somehow it doesn't grab me.

I did actually buy 'Medulla' before i heard it. Just on faith really. But i think 'Volta' will get a lot more replays!
    What do you think of the bloke in the two duets? I'm not sure. I can't fault him technically, but somehow it doesn't grab me.
    Yeah, same here!