Default Have you got what it takes...

...to be a companion?

In the Blink thread a lot of people are saying that Sally Sparrow would make a great companion & I must admit that I agree completely.
    But what is it that makes her companion material? (other than being nice eye candy Dave)
    Is it her talent to get in to trouble?
    Her ability to tackle the situation once she accepted it?
    Her intelligence & ability to stand up to the Doctor? (albeit on a DVD).
    Her talent to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Could you be a companion?
    Can you deal with a situation when thrown in at the deep end or do you freeze?
    Could you stand up to an authority figure & ask for the facts?
    Would you be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I think it was the thought of the Doctor being in the wrong place at the wrong time that prompted me to investigate places as a kid. I was & still am a bloody nosey git & will look around any old house, castle, wood or grave yard if given half a chance. I would have been in that house with Sally in the 'blink' of an eye.
    But would I make a good companion? I don't know really, I'd like to think so.
    Would you?

I wouldn't make a good companion, I am a dull coward! Look at Turlough!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne Guest

I'd make a crap companion. I'm far too bolshie & would be getting on the Doctor's tits all the time by refusing to do as i'm told. I'd probably get myself killed.

Dave Lewis Guest

I'd make a crap companion - I think I'd have been a male version of Roberta Tovey's Susan. In fact, my version of "Who's Who" pisses all over hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'd make a crap companion. I'm far too bolshie & would be getting on the Doctor's tits all the time by refusing to do as i'm told.
    So you'd be Tegan then?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    So you'd be Tegan then?
    Yeah, but with more dress sense, & less embarrassing hair.
    In fact less hair, period.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd be a rubbish companion. But I'd be a great Doctor. I'd be a mix of Tom Baker. Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. Long scarf, long hair, Manc accent and Converse.

YES! IT'S ME!

But what is it that makes her companion material? (other than being nice eye candy Dave)
    Not once have I said that I liked her for being nice eye candy!

(Apart from when I posted a picture of her in the Eye Candy thread... um... )

She'd be a good companion for all the reasons you suggested - she's resourceful, intelligent, strong, level headed, and up for adventure and excitement - she just screams 'companion'. Also, Carey Mulligan is just such a damned good actress.

I reckon I'd be a fairly good companion, possibly in the Jamie mould - though I fear I might more likely be an Adric or an Adam.

WhiteCrow Guest

I'd be a good companion - although with my know-it-all attitude, mathematical ability and gold star I know where I'd end up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I reckon I'd be a fairly good companion, possibly in the Jamie mould - though I fear I might more likely be an Adric or an Adam.
    Hang on, what am I saying!? I AM a good companion!!!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Part of me thinks I could be a bumbling but ultimately well-intentioned Harry Sullivan type- and I have my own blazer. But in reality I'm probably more of a male Jo Grant- useless in a crisis, all the co-ordination of a drunken octopus and with an amazing tendency to fall into exactly the situation I was trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Part of me thinks I could be a bumbling but ultimately well-intentioned Harry Sullivan type
    I'd get in the TARDIS with Ian. That'd be piss funny! The Doctor and the odd couple. I could go in with Wayne but I think we'd argue a lot (in a friendly, but still getting on each other's wicks and 'stop looking at my legs' kind of way. )

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    - useless in a crisis, all the co-ordination of a drunken octopus and with an amazing tendency to fall into exactly the situation I was trying to avoid.
    That's average daily behaviour! Well, I'm not always useless in a crisis. Sometimes I can be quite good you know!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I'd get in the TARDIS with Ian. That'd be piss funny! The Doctor and the odd couple.
    If you can tolerate me calling you "old thing" repeatedly, we might just be on to something there.

I'd be a rubbish companion. I'd probably last about 3 stories across 2 different Doctors and get killed at the end of my third story!!!