Thread: Give A Few Bob

Default Give A Few Bob

Has anyone seen the new adverts raising awareness for Prostrate Cancer? They are at once both funny and very creepy!

Basically they feature Bob Monkhouse, by his own grave, talking about his death! It looks ever so real, but apparently it was done using some existing footage, mixed with a body-double in a graveyard, all overdubbed by a sound-alike.

The effect is rather startling - it's like he's back from the grave. His widow says he'd approve, but it's all a bit sinister!

Anyone seen these ads? Also the place to post any appreciation of Mr Monkhouse.

Si.

Monkhouse - Still dead funny

Saw them on the news this dinner time. I think his widow's right - he would probably have loved the idea.

Woo. That takes after-dinner speaking one step further!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

You can see it here.

Very spooky indeed but well done.

Pip Madeley Guest

I saw it this morning on GMTV. His widow said the CG cost something like 750,000 to do. A lot of money, but a worthwhile cause.

Couldn't they have made an ad for 30 and given the other 749,970 to the charity?

Possibly, but the revenues generated and publicity probably make it worthwhile. Difficult to achieve with 30.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, it was valued at 750,000's worth of work, but it was actually done by the PC boffins for free. Should've added that.

When you watch it a second time, it's not actually very good. It's just a lot of cut-a-way shots of a bad body double. All except the end, where he fades away, which is excellent.

Si.

Oh, he'd of love dit.

...so think on, boys

Trudi G Guest

I thought it was very good when i saw it on the news this morning - spooky, but good, lol!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Oh, he'd of love dit.

...so think on, boys
    The sad things is, Bob didn't display any symptoms of the disease, so he couldn't be treated quick enough when they eventually discovered it, and we lost him.

I've looked at a list of symptoms today and I seem to be fine. I'd go for an check-up, but the thought of a rectal examination doesn't tempt me much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I've looked at a list of symptoms today and I seem to be fine. I'd go for an check-up, but the thought of a rectal examination doesn't tempt me much.
    I had one once and there's no real discomfort, it's more the embarrassment of the situation for me (ie a complete stranger doing such a thing). I'm glad I went though, as it cleared up something I had been worrying about but which turned out to be fine.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

My Dad has Prostate Cancer. He's on a drug that keeps it in check but can't cure it.

So am I the only one who's bought and is wearing "A give a few bob badge"?
    Don't normally buy these sort of things.

I didn't know there was a badge to buy, or where to get one as I now know there is one.

Dave Lewis Guest

Great concept, and I do think Bob would have appreciated what some may perceive as the tastelessness of it, but the "sound-a-like" was average at best and as Si says, the body double was pretty rubbish too.

Still, if it raises awareness, which in turn saves lives, how can it be a bad thing?