Thread: Harry Nilsson

Default Harry Nilsson

Definitely one of the greatest singer songwriters of the late 60's and early 70's, amongst his fans were the Beatles yet chances are you've never heard of him.
    He's released loads of albums and written stuff for loads of other artists.
    If you've heard Everybody's Talkin' in a tv show or film chances are its Nilssons version. His version of Without You is classic probably the definitive one.
    He eventually managed to ruin his life with drink and drugs and probably never got the recognition he should have which is a real shame for he has one of the best male voices ever.
    Anyone else heard of him or a fan? I#m expected Carol to know of him for some reason.

Nilsson? Schmilson!
    Yeah, I agree, good singer songwriter, and yes, his version of Without You deserved its #1 status back in '72.
    I'm not all that familiar with his albums, I imagine though that some tracks may strike a chord somewhere in my memory, and the few singles I've heard, Everybody's Talking, Coconut, can hardly do justice to the talent the man had.

and the few singles I've heard, Everybody's Talking, Coconut, can hardly do justice to the talent the man had.
    I agree. I think that he massively under-achieved which was a shame. I'm just glad someone else has heard of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Anyone else heard of him or a fan? I#m expected Carol to know of him for some reason.

Yep!...and he was very good! "Everybody's talkin" got him a level of fame due to it's inclusion in "Midnight cowboy" (if I'm remembering right).

Yep that's right. He also wrote the soundtrack to the rather rubbish Popeye!

I have 'Everybody's Talkin' on my playslist... it was a big enough hit that it gets regular play on our local oldies station.

Also, I recently found that one of my favorite bands, The Walkmen, are big fans of his and in particular his John Lennon produced 1974 flop, 'Pussy Cats', which they recorded (they recorded a cover of the entire album). Lennon and Nilsson were renewed buddies in 74 during Lennon and Ono's breakup, and had their famous "Lost Weekend" phase in LA that year, partying and doing drugs, hanging out with friends and recording... Nilsson famously ruptured his vocal chord during the sessions but kept it from Lennon and ended up losing his voice.

I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I did hear the song, 'Don't Forget Me', which I instantly fell in love with.
    Last edited by Jeff; 19th Jun 2007 at 9:39 PM.

Another bit of trivia is that Harry Nilsson owned the London flat that both Mama Cass and Keith Moon died in. He sold it to Pete Townshend soon after Moon's death.

And I have to mention that "You're Breaking My Heart" may in fact be the best break-up song ever written... You're breaking my heart/you're tearing it apart/so f___ you!

And unless I missed it, no one has mentioned another song he is famous for, "One" (One is the lonliest number that you'll ever do... Two is the... ), which was famously covered by Three Dog Night and was a hit single for them...
    Last edited by Jeff; 19th Jun 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Hooray for Jeff. Pussy Cats is a bit of a favourite of mine. A complete disaster of an album but good fun to listen to. There's a very silly talky bit about a UFO. It's clear that Lennon and Nilsson had a great time making it. And there is a cracking version of Many Rivers to Cross and Nilsson sings it brilliantly despite his voie going in the middle of it.
    I'd love to see Son of Dracula, the spoof horror film made by Ringo Starr and starring Nilsson as Count Downe the son of Dracula. Its supposed to be rubbish but it's got to be a laugh.

I found a very good cover of Don't Forget Me on Youtube.. some guy sitting at his piano, but he is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a217WvUWJig

Without You and Everybody's Talkin' are two of the all-time classics. I'm not familiar with any of his other stuff, though. Is it in the same vein as these, or does he go off in other musical directions? He's someone whose work I've always meant to investigate but never quite got round to it...

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Without You and Everybody's Talkin' are two of the all-time classics. I'm not familiar with any of his other stuff, though. Is it in the same vein as these, or does he go off in other musical directions? He's someone whose work I've always meant to investigate but never quite got round to it...

I'd say he's fairly eclectic from what I've heard. You can sample some tracks here: http://www.projectplaylist.com/music...&search=search