View Poll Results: Was Utopia far out or totally past it?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/10 - 100,000,000,000,000

15 34.09%
  • 9/10 - 5.5/Apple/26

11 25.00%
  • 8/10 - 200,100

7 15.91%
  • 7/10 - 51st Century

8 18.18%
  • 6/10 - 2012

1 2.27%
  • 5/10 - Saturday 16th June 2007

1 2.27%
  • 4/10 - 18th Century

1 2.27%
  • 3/10 - 1066AD

0 0%
  • 2/10 - 100,000BC

0 0%
  • 1/10 - Before the dawn of time.

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rate And Discuss 3.11: Utopia

It’s a strange day, no colours or shapes, the sound of drums in my head, I forget who I am...

Those of you aren't at the meet tonight, you can start posting at 7.55pm - no spoilers till then.

Or even better, don't start posting until 8:00 when the episode's finished!!!

(I'm after this year's SmartArse award... )

I'm more excited about the two new BBC One idents. Rumours that they might premiere tonight before Doctor Who and Jekyll.

Enchanted Forest

Space

I wonder which one they'll show before 'Utopia'?

this is probably the first episode of series 3 that I have really been looking forward to as I just can't wait for Jack to return.

Yay! John Simm! Things are looking up

I didn't see all of tonight's episode but I was delighted at the regeneration!

Holy shit!

Pip Madeley Guest

OHMEGOD!!!

That's all I can say at the moment, I'm still in shock/delight - THAT KICKED ASS!!!

I've never really liked the Master much. But even I have to admit that was quite an exciting conclusion to the episode. Very good indeed.

8 out of 10.

WhiteCrow Guest

It was exciting and wonderful to see the Master returned.

However it got 7/10 from me because apart from that the rest of the episode seemed just padding.

It really REALLY was astonishing! Started off normal, but as The Professor began to get his flashbacks it got more and more exciting! I'm sure I heard a snatch of Roger Delgado! The bit "I am The Master!" before electrocuting that insect woman has gotta be up there with the all time classic moments! And one of, if not THE best cliffhanger ever!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    It was exciting and wonderful to see the Master returned.

However it got 7/10 from me because apart from that the rest of the episode seemed just padding.
    If I'm honest I had it on in the background and then when John Simm turned up my fading interest in the show was revived I'm quite keen to see how this shapes up next week!

I think I'll hold onto to my avatar for a bit longer!

Now we have to bloody work out if our future episode guides list it as a three-parter or not, too. Curses!

Pip Madeley Guest

I LOVED the way the watch from Human Nature came into play, and the sound of drums, even the sound clip of Delgado's Master (yes Matt, I heard it too!)... all beautiful little touches. That whole bit was the most exciting ten minutes of Doctor Who I've watched for years, even my sister's jaw was on the floor when he regenerated.

That was fab! Jack and the Master! Oh yeah! FAB FAB FAB!
    I am out there... somewhere.

I've given this episode an 8/10, and that obviously suggests I liked it. I do think that this is the first story that I've seen where I'm sure that it will probably be marked down on subsequent viewing though.
    The story doesn't have much in the way of plot, instead it's a vehicle to reintroduce the Master. It works well on first viewing because you're interested in finding out just how it all pans out, but most of the story relies to heavily on the shock/surprise tactic, and when that's no longer there, there isn't all that much left. As far as Master's go, Jacobi was quite good. I loved a couple of his later bits of diaogue, but I'm not quite sure about John Simm in the role yet though.

At this early stage I'd have preferred Jacobi to be The Master over John Simm, but that could never have happened I suppose!

I'm sure I heard a snatch of Roger Delgado!
    Wasn't if from Daemons?

I liked this a lot, but it was all about Jacobi and Jack wasn't it! I was really glad to see that there was an explanation as to why the Doctor had never come back for CJ, and the interplay between the two characters whilst Jack was in the radiation chamber was superb.

It was really lovely to have Jack back to being Jack, rather than the over serious version we saw in Torchwood. For me John Barrowman's performance was a little dodgy at times in that, but here it felt exactly right. I was glad to see the slightly crap looking future human's didn't have that big a role in the story, and that RTD really put a lot in to the script which I thought was really well written. Some of his one off's have been a bit flimsy for me, but he's getting quite good at the 'big' episodes now!

I got incredibly excited when Jacobi took out his watch, and Martha's reaction to it, and of course the regeneration was superb. Simm's played either downbeat or slightly dour roles for too long, it's been ages since I've seen him have fun with a role (Human Traffic was the last time he really seemed to be enjoying himself) so it was fantastic to see him really dig his teeth in to it.

It gets an 8/10 from me, and I can't wait for next week's episode now...and the wait for the one after's going to be even harder!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

I was going to check on that Paul, but OG has melted. Don't you love the fact that PS is cosy.

I was going to check on that Paul, but OG has melted. Don't you love the fact that PS is cosy.
    It was something like 'So you'll give the power to me' which I'm sure is what the Master asks Azal after the Doctor turns it down.

WhiteCrow Guest

Problem I had is that this story was filled with potential good ideas; the evolved though a bit too Buffy-vampire looking aliens who looked like they might be developed but weren't, the idea of being so in the future that the Universe is collapsing, the hope of Utopia.

But then about 25 minutes it, it's all turned into a "start the reactor in the deadly chamber" and then "Professor becomes the Master" that it seems all kind of wasted, with there being some interesting dialogue, but the episode itself having no story really and not going anywhere.

When viewed at "part one of a three parter" I might change my view, but I wouldn't count on it.

Nice to see Rose back though even as a flashback. And I felt the Doctor-Captain Jack stuff felt a little forced and awkward.

I've given this 7/10.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it but the story (although good) was very thin & I doubt that it will stand up to repeated viewings.
    Derek Jacobi was superb & I wish he could have stayed for more than one episode. The interaction between him & the Doctor was excellent & felt so right. The echo's of memory that plagued the Professor was brilliant & there was both Roger Delgado & Anthony Ainley there as well.
    Chan-Tho (spl?) was really well played & was like a companion for the Professor like the Doctor has in Martha.
    Loved all the "I'm Jack Harkness" flirting & the Doctor's reprimands.

But, 'to be continued'? I thought this was a stand alone episode?

Who'll be the first to say that the writer has been watching Full Circle too much?

Jacobi was the finest Master of them all.

Simmsssssssss is too camp already!

Pip Madeley Guest

I thought this was a stand alone episode?
    Nope, it's to all intents and purposes a three-parter - I imagine they said it was stand alone as to not ruin the surprise, and I'm very glad they did that...

I just re-watched the closing scenes and I realised the Doctor apologised to the Master... so was it the Doctor who trapped the Master inside the watch?

Oh, and was that Annie Lennox as the futurekind woman that was inside the complex?!