Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Yay!!! I'm just about to watch mine!

Pertwee heaven

Wayne Guest

I've only watched the Docu so far. Quite good, but not one of the most interesting. I was hoping for David Daker, & the bloke who plays Bloodaxe. Maybe they're both dead for all i know! But there are always good bits. I like the Sladen clip from 'Z-Cars'.

I don't think David Daker is dead, he was in Big Finish not so long ago. Perhaps they trawled the Episode 1 titles looking for worthy contributers?

This is an excellent disc. The CGI is supreme, it contains the first half-decent Easter Egg ever and the picture is so crisp you can touch it. This is a great story with a stellar cast.

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Perhaps they trawled the Episode 1 titles looking for worthy contributers?
    Quite!

The production notes revealed that John J Carney sadly died a few years back, which is a pity, but David Daker is still alive. Perhaps he just didn't want to be involved?

I really enjoyed this DVD too. The CGI was very good for the most part(although I didn't think much of the much vaunted explosion at the end) and the commentary was warm and a good listen and documentary was about as good as this story is going to get.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Did they get June Brown? If not, I'm waiting for the sales.

No, I think she was too busy on Eastenders.

Si.

I wanted the lovely looking titles as a clean Easter Egg, ho hum.....

Pip Madeley Guest

I bought it this evening from Sainsburys and watched the documentary, which was impressive, if a little too gimmicky. I also took a look at these supposedly lovely looking titles...

Comparison

Beautiful! Although the season 11 titles weren't as impressive an improvement as the Tom Baker ones.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I've resisted so far but may place an order so I have something to look forward to when I get back from holiday next week. On the other hand, it occurred to me a while back that I enjoyed it so much when I spent about 50 on a load of bargains from Amazon a couple of months back, that I might just save the single releases and buy them in batches about three or four times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Beautiful! Although the season 11 titles weren't as impressive an improvement as the Tom Baker ones.
    I don't know. I think the incomplete Pertwee time tunnel with its unusual shapes and colours is more impressive than the Baker one. I would like to see it on a longer loop.

Sorry - just realised you meant the improvement in picture quality, not the actual titles.

Note to self - read properly!
    Last edited by Hex; 5th Sep 2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: misread post

Wayne Guest

Pip in non-affiilated real life shop buying scandal!

Out of curiosity, how much was it?

I've enjoyed watching the story over the last couple of days - even the notes were a little easier to read than recent ones, though not still ideal in terms of speed. The picture looked very sharp indeed (for the studio stuff anyway) and the CGI was good enough and not overdone in terms of ray gun effects, but I agree with Si that the castle explosion looked poor, and certainly worse than the original effect - one effect too far there, I think.

I liked the Coming Soon trailer (first one of these I've seen) and especially the way it started with the transmission breakdown - was this from this season - Armageddon Factor?

The Easter Egg was fun and different, and the offair continuity announcements were good fun - the BBC One picture card with Pertwee was especially striking. Haven't watched the main docu yet, but so far this is a very welcome addition to the range.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Pip in non-affiilated real life shop buying scandal!

Out of curiosity, how much was it?
    Well it was just there on the shelf, so I was tempted. Sainsburys are doing it for 13.97, which isn't bad at all when you consider the cheapest online price is 11.89 at Sendit... I'd only be saving a couple of quid and would have to wait a few days - this way it's in my hands and I can enjoy it when I go to bed in a little bit.

Plus I got some Nectar points, so bonus.

Wayne Guest

S'ok mate, i was just teasing ya. You don't have to justify yourself.
    Enjoy your bedtime viewing.

The Coming Soon trailer I thought was very good indeed - the last few (one?) have been lacklustre, but this actually did the job and made the season seem very exciting.

It'd be nice if they included the UK Gold Trail for "The Pirate Planet" on the box set, as I have fond memories of it ("Doctor... we have COME for you!"). But they won't.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    S'ok mate, i was just teasing ya. You don't have to justify yourself.
    Don't be daft, I was just being informative

And I agree with Si, the best 'Coming Soon' trailer yet. I watched 'The Time Warrior' last night - some of the CGI was very suspect, wasn't it! The small laser bits (like Linx's pen weapon) were fine, but anything too complex is always disappointing - the explosion at the end was pathetic. Going to do it with the commentary tonight, I hope Uncle Terrance is on form.

Of course, "The Time Warrior" also features my all-time favourite bad actor in Doctor Who. Never mind Jenny Laird, check out the man on the gate when the cowled Doctor and Sarah sneak into Irongron's castle...

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Of course, "The Time Warrior" also features my all-time favourite bad actor in Doctor Who. Never mind Jenny Laird, check out the man on the gate when the cowled Doctor and Sarah sneak into Irongron's castle...

Si.
    I know exactly what you mean! I've long thought the same. He's terrible isn't he?

I think he's an extra, who's been given a couple of lines. Maybe he hadn't had any previous dialogue experience.

Pip Madeley Guest

Even his laughter is unconvincing.

Ive watched the story and the docu, and am of the way through the commentary. Its not the most extra-abundant release but Ive really loved this story for a long time so that doesnt make me think any less of the total package.

Its a shame David Daker wasnt involved in either then docu or the commentary Ive always liked him as an actor and hes especially good in The Time Warrior.

I agree with Hex that the Season 11 title sequence is superior to the following Season I just love the opening bit of the sequence and it looks incredibly good now its been cleaned up!

The documentary was OK but its a shame they couldnt involve more of the actors (John J Carney and Kevin Lindsay excepted, for obvious reasons).

Overall a good release and nice to finally see the story in episodes I must hunt out the Easter Egg, too!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I agree with Hex that the Season 11 title sequence is superior to the following Season I just love the opening bit of the sequence and it looks incredibly good now its been cleaned up!
    Agreed!

I'm just watching "Trust Red" a 1978 episode of The Sweeney and I thought I reckoned the face... so I checked on imdb and it's bloodaxe no less

While I enjoyed the documentary on this one - it did all seem over too soon...

I always welcome more releases from the "Golden era" and am really looking forward to the KTT as the last gasp but I do think the Pertwee era deserves a bumper year next year!!!